Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NowhereOutThere

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2012
Coming from someone who has used the iPhone since the original was released back in 2007, I got the iPhone 5 on release day after camping out at AT&T. After using it for about a month, I realized how stale iOS had become. Traded it for a Note 2 and haven't looked back. I just gave my iPad 3 to my mom and bought a nexus 10, which is equally as awesome. I still love Apple, particularly when it comes to OSX, but they really need to do something with iOS.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
While it's all about the OS I had the same decision to make a few weeks back and I chose the Note 2, one of the best decisions I ever made. (Friend has an iPhone 5 - not for me...)

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
Again I vote for the note II.

Fantastic handset and anyone who criticises Android for being laggy and less user friendly than iOS needs to update their android 2.2 device

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
1. Camera. I love photography.
2. Big Display. I love watching movies.
3. Ease of use. My phone is beside me 24/7.
4. Gaming experience.
5. I also always read internet articles and PDF Books.
6. Storage capacity. I have lots of stuffs.
7. Messaging. My current phone only stores hundreds of text messages. I want a phone that can store thousands of text messages.
8. Compatibility to my Mac.
6. Lastly, the prestige of having a cool phone. :cool:

I would be tempted to wait to see what new devices (SGS4 particularly) were announced early next year and what they offer. With your list above IMHO the Note 2 would be almost perfect.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
(NB:
1. Camera. I love photography.

Some food for thought:
http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-II-vs-Apple-iPhone-5_id3152/page/3

Personally, syncing photos between the Note 2 and iPhoto is something that I haven't yet found a smooth way of doing. That isn't to say that you can't do it and the Note 2 camera app offers sharing via various services. It can also automatically upload photos to DropBox and (at least in some markets) you get 40GB of DropBox for 2 years with the phone. I find the gallery app on the Note 2 fairly feeble, too.

Might be a narrow win for the iPhone 5 on this one.
2. Big Display. I love watching movies.
Well the Note 2 has a 5.5" 720p screen and the iPhone... doesn't.

Some people didn't like the OLED screen on the S3, but the Note 2 has a different pixel layout that addresses this.

3. Ease of use. My phone is beside me 24/7.

iOS probably wins on ease-of-use with its more consistent interface. However, Android is now running a pretty close second and - as you say you already use Android - shouldn't bother you. The Samsung 'tweaks' to this seem generally well received - although they've introduced a bit of bloatware (e.g. with their own music/movie/app service).

4. Gaming experience.

Possibly more choice on iOS - you can check the iTunes store vs. Google Play yourself.

5. I also always read internet articles and PDF Books.

5.5" 720p 16:9 screen on the Note 2 wins again.

6. Storage capacity. I have lots of stuffs.

Well, you can get a 64GB iPhone, but it costs.

Don't think the Note 2 comes in 64GB and the 32GB one has been hard to get hold of in the past, so you may end up with 16GB. However, the Note 2 has an SD card slot so you can add 8, 16, 32 or 64GB of extra storage for media very cheaply. The only fly in the ointment is if your 'loads of stuffs' includes a lot of Apps, since these can't easily be moved to the SD card. However, generally its music and videos that eat space and they work from SD just fine.
7. Messaging. My current phone only stores hundreds of text messages. I want a phone that can store thousands of text messages.
Don't know about this. However, there's an android App called AirDroid which lets you access messages from your Mac and even send messages via your phone using the Mac's display and keyboard (Not exactly a response to your question but seriously cool).

8. Compatibility to my Mac.

iPhone 5 unsurprisingly wins there.

As you already have an Android, you'll know the basics - except that newer versions of Android don't include the 'USB disc mode' option that let you mount your phone like a disc drive on the Mac. Yiu have to use the Android File Transfer app, which gives you a drag-and-drop interface but not quite the flexibility of a mounted drive.

Samsung supply a rather uninspiring iTunes-a-like sync/transfer application called "Kies" which, unfortunately, also breaks Android File Transfer - you have to uninstall Kies completely to get AFT to work.

This is much less of an issue if you're using cloud services like Google Drive, Google Music, Dropbox etc. and Email, contacts, calendars work fine if you move them to Gmail - the Mac apps work fine with Gmail accounts.

6. Lastly, the prestige of having a cool phone. :cool:

In that case, wait 4 months before making the decision, as there will be new shiny things out by then.

At the moment, though, if you want to kick sand in iPhone users faces, just fire up the split-screen multitasking mode on the Note 2, or show them the s-pen in action. No contest.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Coming from someone who has used the iPhone since the original was released back in 2007, I got the iPhone 5 on release day after camping out at AT&T. After using it for about a month, I realized how stale iOS had become. Traded it for a Note 2 and haven't looked back. I just gave my iPad 3 to my mom and bought a nexus 10, which is equally as awesome. I still love Apple, particularly when it comes to OSX, but they really need to do something with iOS.

Exactly my experience and its more and more common these days. 2 years ago everyone I knew had an iphone. Most of them have moved on. Osx is light years ahead of windows.

TheNextBigThing

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
Pearl of the Orient
While it's all about the OS I had the same decision to make a few weeks back and I chose the Note 2, one of the best decisions I ever made. (Friend has an iPhone 5 - not for me...)

Well, I must congratulate you for that. I can still remember the decision I made 3 years ago on whether to buy a Mac or PC. I chose Mac, and absolutely, I have no regrets.

I hope that when I buy my next phone, I will choose what's better for me considering the fact that I might be using it for at least 3 years. Lol.

(NB:

Some food for thought:
http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-II-vs-Apple-iPhone-5_id3152/page/3

Personally, syncing photos between the Note 2 and iPhoto is something that I haven't yet found a smooth way of doing. That isn't to say that you can't do it and the Note 2 camera app offers sharing via various services. It can also automatically upload photos to DropBox and (at least in some markets) you get 40GB of DropBox for 2 years with the phone. I find the gallery app on the Note 2 fairly feeble, too.

Might be a narrow win for the iPhone 5 on this one.

Well the Note 2 has a 5.5" 720p screen and the iPhone... doesn't.

Some people didn't like the OLED screen on the S3, but the Note 2 has a different pixel layout that addresses this.

iOS probably wins on ease-of-use with its more consistent interface. However, Android is now running a pretty close second and - as you say you already use Android - shouldn't bother you. The Samsung 'tweaks' to this seem generally well received - although they've introduced a bit of bloatware (e.g. with their own music/movie/app service).

Possibly more choice on iOS - you can check the iTunes store vs. Google Play yourself.

5.5" 720p 16:9 screen on the Note 2 wins again.

Well, you can get a 64GB iPhone, but it costs.

Don't think the Note 2 comes in 64GB and the 32GB one has been hard to get hold of in the past, so you may end up with 16GB. However, the Note 2 has an SD card slot so you can add 8, 16, 32 or 64GB of extra storage for media very cheaply. The only fly in the ointment is if your 'loads of stuffs' includes a lot of Apps, since these can't easily be moved to the SD card. However, generally its music and videos that eat space and they work from SD just fine.

Don't know about this. However, there's an android App called AirDroid which lets you access messages from your Mac and even send messages via your phone using the Mac's display and keyboard (Not exactly a response to your question but seriously cool).

iPhone 5 unsurprisingly wins there.

As you already have an Android, you'll know the basics - except that newer versions of Android don't include the 'USB disc mode' option that let you mount your phone like a disc drive on the Mac. Yiu have to use the Android File Transfer app, which gives you a drag-and-drop interface but not quite the flexibility of a mounted drive.

Samsung supply a rather uninspiring iTunes-a-like sync/transfer application called "Kies" which, unfortunately, also breaks Android File Transfer - you have to uninstall Kies completely to get AFT to work.

This is much less of an issue if you're using cloud services like Google Drive, Google Music, Dropbox etc. and Email, contacts, calendars work fine if you move them to Gmail - the Mac apps work fine with Gmail accounts.

In that case, wait 4 months before making the decision, as there will be new shiny things out by then.

At the moment, though, if you want to kick sand in iPhone users faces, just fire up the split-screen multitasking mode on the Note 2, or show them the s-pen in action. No contest.

Your post is generous. Thanks for your time. Btw, I just read the article you gave about the comparison of the camera. If the article was prepared fairly, it seems iPhone 5 has a lot better camera considering the comparisons of the photos shot in each device. The picture quality on that of iPhone 5 is better that that of the Note 2. I thought the difference is not noticeable.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
If choosing a phone right now, I'd pick the Note II. But 4 months is a really long time for cell phones and waiting seems like the best answer. S4 would be at the top of my list at that time.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012

One reason why I'm afraid to get a Note 2. I love the iPhone and because of the iPhone I switched to all Apple products.

Afraid if I end up liking Android (last time I tried I didn't), then I'm going to be stuck.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Thanks for all the comments here! I just made my decision. My next phone will be Samsung Note 2 (or probably Note 3).

This youtube video sums it up. If you have time, watch this video and you'll understand why I choose Note 2 over the iPhone 5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBkY3vg14JM

I'm an Apple fan, but honestly, Note 2 wins in this thread. :rolleyes:

Those launcher and widgets he placed onto his Note 2 looks really cool. I'm going to try that out.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Have you watched the second link I gave you?

It will be exciting to know the features of the Note 3 when it will be released few months from now.

One of the best attitudes in life is being open-minded. :)

Yeah the first one I closed out of it. The second one is what sold me.

I'm open minded, just the two times I tired android I didn't like and they were both in 2011.

How well do androids and apple computers work together?

TheNextBigThing

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
Pearl of the Orient

I'm open minded, just the two times I tired android I didn't like and they were both in 2011.

I'm sorry I don't have yet a Note 2. I have an android phone 2.2 version and 13-inch Macbook Pro. And the compatibility is okay for transferring files like photos, movies, songs. But the sync features is not available like calendar, contacts, etc. I'm also wondering how syncing files will work between a Note 2 and a Macbook Pro.

I read many posts on this site saying that the latest version of the android is at par, if not exceeds, with iOS 6.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Thanks for all the comments here! I just made my decision. My next phone will be Samsung Note 2 (or probably Note 3).

This youtube video sums it up. If you have time, watch this video and you'll understand why I choose Note 2 over the iPhone 5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBkY3vg14JM

I'm an Apple fan, but honestly, Note 2 wins in this thread. :rolleyes:

To be honest, most iPhone users don't use this section of the site so you got the responses that were expected. You may as well have asked the same question on an android forum.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011

Well I got 50gb of dropbox with my note 2 and its brilliant for files I can access over all my computers, ipad and phone. Music wise there are alot of differentways to get your itunes music on there.

----------

To be honest, most iPhone users don't use this section of the site so you got the responses that were expected. You may as well have asked the same question on an android forum.

Well not entirely true. At least in this thread they are mainly apple fans that have used both rather than an anti apple crowd. I got my whole family on iphones, I loved them but I think there are better options at this moment in time.

----------

One reason why I'm afraid to get a Note 2. I love the iPhone and because of the iPhone I switched to all Apple products.

Afraid if I end up liking Android (last time I tried I didn't), then I'm going to be stuck.

Why dont you have the best of both worlds. If you like macs better get a mac but it doesnt mean you have to get an iphone. Get what you think is best. If that happens to be all apple or a mix so be it. But choosing because of a label is pretty stupid imo.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
As you already have an Android, you'll know the basics - except that newer versions of Android don't include the 'USB disc mode' option that let you mount your phone like a disc drive on the Mac. You have to use the Android File Transfer app, which gives you a drag-and-drop interface but not quite the flexibility of a mounted drive.

I didn't realise this was the case. To confirm functionality with an SD card: if it's mounted to a Mac the usual way, and files are dropped into the root level, I assume Android is intelligent enough to give me a file system view of everything on the drive and therefore allow me to simply select the video file in question and play? I haven't a clue how Music is played on Android but assuming there is a Music app, will this intelligently locate files in local memory and external memory? I imagine swapping between SD cards will slow down any apps requiring data from x sources?

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Why dont you have the best of both worlds. If you like macs better get a mac but it doesnt mean you have to get an iphone. Get what you think is best. If that happens to be all apple or a mix so be it. But choosing because of a label is pretty stupid imo.

I'm not choosing because of the label, I'm choosing because I enjoy jailbreaking my iPhone. I'm afraid I wouldn't like android like the other 2 times I tried it.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I haven't a clue how Music is played on Android but assuming there is a Music app, will this intelligently locate files in local memory and external memory? I imagine swapping between SD cards will slow down any apps requiring data from x sources?

In the internal storage, and on an SD card that has been used in the phone, "Music", "Videos", "Playlists" etc. folders which the appropriate apps will search. I think the stock apps have a fixed list of folder names that they search (or they might search the whole device). Haven't really experimented with this because I don't see any need not to use one of the Music or Video folders.

At least with the music, you can structure the folders however you want under this, and I assume video is the same.

Physically, swapping SD cards will cause a pause while the Music app searches and updates its database. Using Android FIle Transfer avoids having to mount/unmount the drive and stops this. On Samsung phones you can use the Kies software to do this, but I've uninstalled Keis and switched to AFT and other third-party tools.

There are various options depending on whether you want to use USB or WiFi, drag-and-drop files, use iTunes-style syncing or use the cloud.

There's a stock video and music player, but you may want to replace these with 3rd-party options. WinAmp and the Google Music Player (even if you don't use it via the cloud) both seem better. The weak point seems to be gapless playback - the stock player doesn't even try, WinAmp (free) and Google make a better effort but there's still a slight glitch between tracks. I think the paid WinAmp offers better gapless support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.