Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
Santa will be bringing my 13 year old daughter a white iPhone 5. This will be her first iDevice and first real phone. She wanted an iPod. For the price of that, the phone is a better choice and it will do so much more! Looking forward to seeing her gifts Christmas Day!

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
Santa will be bringing my 13 year old daughter a white iPhone 5. This will be her first iDevice and first real phone. She wanted an iPod. For the price of that, the phone is a better choice and it will do so much more! Looking forward to seeing her gifts Christmas Day!

Your daughter's lucky to have such a thoughtful parent :D

Merry Christmas!

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
That I am leading my daughter into the wonderful world of Apple products! :). She's used my stuff once in awhile. Now I can thoroughly teach her on her own and maybe get her into some other products later. A lot of the local schools use Macs and some will be having the students use iPads instead of books.

Testing my luck with a sealed box. Hoping everything is good in there!

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
School adoption of iPad is amazing. I'm going back to college in the spring and they told me most books are GIVEN out in PDFs to students.

I still doubt I heard that right.

AppleBoyFreak

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
Kentucky
I think she'll definitely appreciate it. I got my first iPhone back when I was 12. It was like 3 months after the iPhone 3GS was launched and that's the one I got. Only difference is that I actually had to save my money for mine lol. Intact I still save my money for every iPhone update.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Damn, kids grow up fast these days, when I was thirteen about 4 years ago in 2008 I was in my 8th grade year of middle school and I was still playing pokemon occasionally. someone stole my iPod touch and it was hard enough convincing my mom to get me an iPhone.I had a little red prepaid samsung phone for T-Mobile I think lmao even though my mom is on AT&T. I barely even used the phone, I didn't even know the number for it.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012

Your daughter is 13.. Let's be realistic here, when I was 13, I had a pager.

I hope she still doesn't believe in Santa.

I think she'll definitely appreciate it. I got my first iPhone back when I was 12. It was like 3 months after the iPhone 3GS was launched and that's the one I got. Only difference is that I actually had to save my money for mine lol. Intact I still save my money for every iPhone update.

I'm not going to hate, but at least you saved up for it. You learn to appreciate things better and as you grow up you understand money management.

teejaysyke

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2012
Damn, I didn't have a cell phone until I was 16 and I'm 20 (going to be 21 now) and I'm not getting my first iPhone until Sunday...

She's lucky, make sure she takes care of it.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Your daughter is 13.. Let's be realistic here, when I was 13, I had a pager.

I hope she still doesn't believe in Santa.

I'm not going to hate, but at least you saved up for it. You learn to appreciate things better and as you grow up you understand money management.

Damn, I didn't have a cell phone until I was 16 and I'm 20 (going to be 21 now) and I'm not getting my first iPhone until Sunday...

She's lucky, make sure she takes care of it.

Listen to these guys. And you're gonna have to break it to her soon that there is no santa. If she's old enough for an iPhone then she's old enough to know. Unless you're one of those parents that needlessly baby their kids and believe they can do no wrong and everything they do is a gift from god lol

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I didn't have a pager until I was in my early 20s and portable phones weighed a couple pounds. Plus, before that, I had to walk to school, up hill, both ways. You guys do the math! :)

She's going to have a few months of her plan taken care of. After that, she'll need to do some work to pay the monthly bill. She's been responsible so we'll see how this works. Plus, she'll learn that she needs to work to pay for things that she wants. One other thing that will be nice, the "find my iPhone/daughter" feature in case we ever need to. Trust... but verify! :)

----------

Listen to these guys. And you're gonna have to break it to her soon that there is no santa. If she's old enough for an iPhone then she's old enough to know. Unless you're one of those parents that needlessly baby their kids and believe they can do no wrong and everything they do is a gift from god lol

She knows about Santa :) She has a little sister so it's an unspoken things. She knows to keep the dream alive.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Well, I hope she takes care of it.

Why didn't you just get her like an iPhone 4?

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I had a 4, it was nice, would be a great starter phone now but... I decided to go with the most recent. Plus, with the current sale price of $127.00, it wasn't a bad deal.

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
i have no problem with the phone...its the plan that concerns me. 50/month well around there. anyways im sure she will love it.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
I got my first phone when I was 13. It was the incredibly awesome Sony Ericsson T610, which I still have kicking around today.

Attachments

• Sony-Ericsson-T610-1-Optimized.jpg
    Sony-Ericsson-T610-1-Optimized.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 2,001

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
School adoption of iPad is amazing. I'm going back to college in the spring and they told me most books are GIVEN out in PDFs to students.

I still doubt I heard that right.

HAHAHAHAH. Do you know how much money a school would lose if they gave out free books?

My school charges at least $60 for a basic book. An algebra book is more like $130

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati

Word of advice, get AppleCare + and see if your homeowners ins will cover the iPhone for loss or theft.

My daughter was rough on her phone at that age, she is better now. I am passing my 4 down to her and I'm getting the new 5 (so your a better dad than me :D )

It was only about $20 a year for the addon to my Homeowners ins and it covers them and loss with a $50 ded

mrstefani

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2011
Macomb, Michigan
My 14 year old daughter used my iPhone 3 GS for 3 years and took very good care of it. I originally had our home phone number ported over to a cell phone because everyone in our household had a cell and the landline was never used.

She started out only taking the phone with her when she went to a friend's house or stayed after school for sports or chess club. She was very responsible and did not abuse having the cell phone with her. She is mature for her age. (She attends a small private school and has 4 older siblings) I have raised her to appreciate all she has.

She now has the iPhone 5. She understands it is an expensive piece of technology and that she is very fortunate to own one. She is not spoiled. She earns the usage of the phone by doing chores and keeping her grades up and attitude proper.

I also passed down my first gen iPad when I upgraded. She uses it for drawing, writing short stories, homework (as she is able to print wirelessly) as well as watch vides and play games. Technology is a great thing and I think our youth should learn to use it responsibly.

Only you know your child and if she is responsible enough to own one. I read a lot of negativity here on kids having iPhones or iPads and many of these people either do not have kids or are still living in the past. I did not own a cell until I was 26. My older kids ( ages 27, 25, 23 ) got their first cell phone when they started driving. (Those phones were dinosaurs compared to the phones of today), and were pay as you go.

Times have changed and new technology is available and constantly progressing. We have an iMac, 3 Apple TV's and an Air in our house and I want my daughter to be capable of using this wonderful technology, competently. I am not one of those people who say "When I was that age" because when I was that age, things were different. I want to give my kids advantages I did NOT have at that age.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.