Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
I've owned a Droid 2, TF Prime and TF Infinity...so yeah I'm done with Android. My favorite thing about Android was all of the features i had to disable just to keep it from crashing every 5 minutes and to help the battery last until lunch.

Marrakas

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2012
I have been back and forth. Owned the 1st gen iPhone, switched to a early generation android when i dropped my iPhone and cracked the display.
Then moved on from android to 3GS, and then from 3GS to Samsung Galaxy S2, then to 4S, and after a short stop on the galaxy s3 I'm now on iPhone5.

Loved all the phones, both android and iphone, so I can never make up my mind which I like the best.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Used the Note 2 for about 2 weeks as my primary phone.

I'm back to my iPhone 4S.

Don't really care about customizing all the widgets and an launchers. It's nice, but don't really miss it.

Only thing I want is quick settings to turn on/off wifi, bluetooth, sound, gps, cellular, and so forth. Apple needs add it to the nofication center like Android.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Used the Note 2 for about 2 weeks as my primary phone.

I'm back to my iPhone 4S.

Don't really care about customizing all the widgets and an launchers. It's nice, but don't really miss it.

Only thing I want is quick settings to turn on/off wifi, bluetooth, sound, gps, cellular, and so forth. Apple needs add it to the nofication center like Android.

settings and widgets in notification center is the next logical step, and may be the true reason behind the taller screen in the iphone 5.

b0bab0i

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
U might want to retract what u said. There is no jb for the current iOS.

This is where you are wrong. Tethered Jailbreak is out on iOS6 on iPhone 3GS & iPhone 4's. Old bootrom 3GS's have Untethered Jailbreak .

And why would I retract what I said? I asked him if he's tried using a jailbroken iPhone. All those features he mentioned is possible with jailbreaks. I never specified which device or OS.

Maybe you should retract your statement since its obvious you don't know what you're talking about.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Me. I went iPhone 1st gen, Nokia 5800xm, HTC desire, Samsung galaxy s2, Samsung galaxy s3, iPhone 5.
So what was it like going from S3 to iP5? Particularly with screen size please, this is my biggest concern.

Me.

iPhone 4 was my first iPhone...then I jumped to Android...Had Galaxy S2, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2 and then back to the iPhone (5).

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
This is where you are wrong. Tethered Jailbreak is out on iOS6 on iPhone 3GS & iPhone 4's. Old bootrom 3GS's have Untethered Jailbreak .

And why would I retract what I said? I asked him if he's tried using a jailbroken iPhone. All those features he mentioned is possible with jailbreaks. I never specified which device or OS.

Maybe you should retract your statement since its obvious you don't know what you're talking about.

i meant...non-A4.... you should of stated that....

TM WAZZA

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
I really gave Android and the Nexus 4 a try
Here is my story

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1504387/

I'm happy to be back to iOS, the iPhone, and the ecosystem of Apple.

I hope iOS 7 brings a little more freedom...at least let me move these icons where I want on the darn screen for starters! Not asking for a lot here.

How many on screen time did you get?

I see Android forums they don't expect more than 3 hours! WTF! I could easily get double that on iOS

http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...s-4-battery-life-horrible-major-drainage.html

Sweeperdk

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
Århus, Denmark
iPhone 3G -> iPhone 4 -> Galaxy S2 -> iPhone 4S -> Galaxy S3 -> iPhone 5.

Honestly, I cannot see myself moving to android again for the foreseeable future.

There were just too many things that nagged me with android. Yes, Jellybean made it seem quicker, but it still lagged.

The app ecosystem on iOS is simply a lot more stable (perhaps due to the fact that there are way less hardware configurations to cater for? ) than the android counterpart.

Apps seemed laggy on android as compared to iOS...

The screensize was a non-issue for me... 4" is large enough for my needs... bigger seems a bit cumbersome imo.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
More battery capacity means iOS can have more customization in hardware and software than it has now, like quad core and more RAM or true multitasking and widgets on software side which can be added or removed per user taste.

Android has more customization on their OS, but it's not efficient yet. It seems those quad cores and 2000 mAh battery so wasteful.

Android Widgets are implemented fine - Apple has no excuse for lagging behind on the customization front.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
This is my first iPhone from an s2.

I did have a stock android, the nexus one, which was great when it first came out but Getting updates early wasn't all that fun. I had to live with a GPS bug for 8 months or so where my phone struggled to get a fix due to something buried in the kernel.

My battery woes came and went with different app and o/s updates. It was frustrating to not be able to pin down from one day to the next.

The biggest thing I miss is swiftkey, it really speeded up my text messages. I wasn't a heavy widget user as they really did drain my battery.

I am one of those who appear to be in the minority who likes having a compact phone. But then i have an iPad so my "big screen" needs are met with this.

Wafflausages

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Does the Android community have something like Cydia or Installous?

It's pretty much all in their play store and you could also just download apps from the internet. Though you may need to root your phone to access superuser apps

techluvr

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
Houston, TX
Had an iPhone 4 on AT&T before and got a Galaxy Nexus when I switched to Verizon. It was always a bit laggy, didn't interface with the Apple ecosystems I had become so involved in, and had several questionable bugs and annoying things about it that always made me wonder whether I had chosen wisely. The final straw was when it started auto-updating apps *while I was using them.* Got an iPhone 5 and haven't looked back.

studmule

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2010
I switched from the 4S to the Galaxy S3. I loved everything about it except texting. Android does an awful job of handling group texts compared to the iphone. I do too much texting for it to not work smoothly, so I got the iphone 5 and couldn't be happier.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Well I'm going to see an iPhone 5 tomorrow to compare and maybe buy. At the moment I'm going to buy, but depends on screen size, I hope to have a decent play with one to compare.

Can the people who are mentioning the Apple Eco System expand a bit on what it does for them? I have numerous iPads, iPods, getting minis for Xmas, Apple TV, iMac, but not sure I use the Eco System really.

Apart from the screen size, I will also totally miss as other have said Swiftkey/Swype, and the pull down for GPS, WiFi, BT, Screen lock etc, Apple have to add this next iOS version dont they??

weesy

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
i've been in this situation numerous times. and quite frankly, every time its a phase. sometimes i want some android functionality sometimes i want my iphone. i'm onboard with the iphone 5 right now, i love it. i wish there was a jailbreak never the less but i love it. i had an s3 before and it was great. i don't think either is a wrong choice. you wouldn't really be missing much either way. you could build an android to act and display like an iphone or jailbreak the iphone and convert your android bases. i don't think you're wrong either way, its all personal preference

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
I am new to iPhone, so I didn't "come back". Just a switch from Android. Granted, I never used an Android with ICS or Jelly Bean, but I love the i5. I got an iPad 2 back in March and I loved it. It was my main reason for trying the switch to the iPhone 5.

I really think that the biggest difference in the i5 and GS3 is the screen size and it all depends on what you want. The GS3 screen size is nice. But I didn't want a phone THAT big. It did take a couple of weeks to get used to a 4 inch screen after having a 4.3 inch Android for 3 years. Both phone are very nice, fast, etc. Its basically a personal preference. I don't understand all the hate for each device from different sides.

Regarding Widgets, the fact that IOS doesn't have it doens't really bother me. It literally takes 2 extra seconds to tap the Settings>WiFI>On/Off button. Same with Bluetooth. Would it be easier to have a widget? Sure, but not at the expense of performance, which I've read Widgets cause all kinds of problems in Android. That extra 2 seconds isn't going to affect me.:D

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
I did.

Went from iPhone 4S to Galaxy Nexus to Galaxy S3 to iPhone 5.

Had a few random reboots & boot loops which left me unknowingly unable to receive calls/texts. And as all too common, this was fixed by using a community ROM and not the stock ROM.

See, I don't wish to be insulting and quesiton the validity of your claims, but as an Android user for the last 4 years or so, I've never once come across random bootloops. You have to have tried to mess around with roms and tried flashing new kernels etc in order to achieve a bootloop - not from everyday use.

ericgedi77

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2011
This is my first iPhone from an s2.

I did have a stock android, the nexus one, which was great when it first came out but Getting updates early wasn't all that fun. I had to live with a GPS bug for 8 months or so where my phone struggled to get a fix due to something buried in the kernel.

My battery woes came and went with different app and o/s updates. It was frustrating to not be able to pin down from one day to the next.

The biggest thing I miss is swiftkey, it really speeded up my text messages. I wasn't a heavy widget user as they really did drain my battery.

I am one of those who appear to be in the minority who likes having a compact phone. But then i have an iPad so my "big screen" needs are met with this.

I was in the same boat, loved the Nexus One with Froyo, but Gingerbread made it way to laggy and killed battery, couple that with edge speads on T-Mobile I switched to ATT and the iPhone 4, Now have the 5 and loving it.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
i REALLY want to come back to iOS from android, i hate android, the clunky OS, app crashed and reboots because the phone wont turn its network connection back on are annoying..

HOWEVER

i can not live with the iPhones pathetic battery life, MY S2 lets me use it for 22-24 hrs from undocking in the morning, to charging overnight when i plug it in next to my bed, usually 16 hrs is 100%-30% charge, other than the original iPhone, the 3G, 3GS, 4 and 4S never got me past 8hrs before it was flat.

sadly, this is a deal-breaker for me, yes i know i can get an fugly case that contains a charger and extra battery etc etc, but i shouldn't have to, apple should not have pushed for thinness at the expense of a days battery life.

so i stick on this fabulous samsung hardware , crippled by the god awful clunky interface they pasted on the not-ready-for-consumers schizophrenic OS called Android.

:apple: give the iPhone 5S better batteyrlife you goits.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I went from an iPhone 4 to a Droid X for a little over a year then back to an iPhone 4 and now have the iPhone 5.

The Droid X had a bad habit of rebooting in the middle of phone calls. While Android allows far more customization than iOS, I found Gingerbread (which is still running on 75+% of Android devices) to be much more unstable than iOS.

Also, with Android, you have to deal with having the latest and greatest phone with the latest version of Android when you buy it to having an outdated phone three months later. Of course, that happens with all technology; but the bad thing about it on Android is that carriers in the U.S. won't usually push Android OS updates OTA to phones more than a month or two old until six months to a year after Google releases the update. The carriers have to take Google's "clean" version of the OS and load it with bloatware before they push it OTA. I went through that with the Droid X on Verizon and it made me miss the days when everyone around the world with an iOS device could update to the latest version of iOS on the day it was released.

jdlindsey7

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2010
i REALLY want to come back to iOS from android, i hate android, the clunky OS, app crashed and reboots because the phone wont turn its network connection back on are annoying..

HOWEVER

i can not live with the iPhones pathetic battery life, MY S2 lets me use it for 22-24 hrs from undocking in the morning, to charging overnight when i plug it in next to my bed, usually 16 hrs is 100%-30% charge, other than the original iPhone, the 3G, 3GS, 4 and 4S never got me past 8hrs before it was flat.

sadly, this is a deal-breaker for me, yes i know i can get an fugly case that contains a charger and extra battery etc etc, but i shouldn't have to, apple should not have pushed for thinness at the expense of a days battery life.

so i stick on this fabulous samsung hardware , crippled by the god awful clunky interface they pasted on the not-ready-for-consumers schizophrenic OS called Android.

:apple: give the iPhone 5S better batteyrlife you goits.

I have the 5 and I consider myself a heavy user. I am emailing and listening to podcasts most of the day and I can leave the house and return home before it dies. I'm usually in the 5-10% range when I get home at night. I don't get why people need to go days and days without charging? Just plug it in when a charger is available (home, office, car, etc) and you should never have a dead phone.

In the past year I've owned a 4s, HTC ONEX, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3, and Galaxy Note. I'm a bit of a tech junkie. The iPhone 5 is the most complete package for me. Beautiful, better screen than the previous iPhones, reliable, and I love the ecosystem. All the androids I've used beat the iPhone 5 in individual areas but none match the iPhone overall. Just my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.