Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
I just noticed that when I zoom in or zoom out on a google map Activity Monitor indicates over 100% CPU usage for a considerable amount of time. Even zooming back to a previous level it still does this.

Puzzled I tried the same thing in Firefox which used about 20-30% CPU usage and did so for a considerably shorter period of time.

FF is quicker zooming too.

this is on a core i7 sandy bridge imac with 32GB ram. 10.8.2

What's up with this behaviour?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I just noticed that when I zoom in or zoom out on a google map Activity Monitor indicates over 100% CPU usage for a considerable amount of time. Even zooming back to a previous level it still does this.

Puzzled I tried the same thing in Firefox which used about 20-30% CPU usage and did so for a considerably shorter period of time.

FF is quicker zooming too.

this is on a core i7 sandy bridge imac with 32GB ram. 10.8.2

What's up with this behaviour?

Try this:
Make a new User in User and groups, then login to the new account and see if it is the same there, if it's better there then you have issues with your normal User Account.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
Ok that was a good idea. I already have a spare admin account that I use for testing as I keep my user account as non admin.

Seemed to be better in the other account. Went back to my current account and it still seemed a bit funky but not as bad. I turned off all the extensions and it was better, I turned them all back on and it stayed better. So that is a bit of a confusing result.

Right now it's about the same as FF, except Safari mainly shows the cpu usage in the safari web content rather than the app, as in FF.

So I'm not sure why turning the extensions off then on would make any difference.

What sort of things could cause this in a user account because there's been a bit of strange behaviou for example if I try to log into my bank account it just stays on the connecting page, meanwhile I can log in in FF. It has only just been doing this.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Ok that was a good idea. I already have a spare admin account that I use for testing as I keep my user account as non admin.

Seemed to be better in the other account. Went back to my current account and it still seemed a bit funky but not as bad. I turned off all the extensions and it was better, I turned them all back on and it stayed better. So that is a bit of a confusing result.

Right now it's about the same as FF, except Safari mainly shows the cpu usage in the safari web content rather than the app, as in FF.

So I'm not sure why turning the extensions off then on would make any difference.

What sort of things could cause this in a user account because there's been a bit of strange behaviou for example if I try to log into my bank account it just stays on the connecting page, meanwhile I can log in in FF. It has only just been doing this.

Are all of your extensions up to date?

I am not a fan of extensions but I am on an old Powerbook, if I turn on Extensions Safari becomes sloooowwwww.

There are other things you can do although I don't think it will make a difference, like resetting Safari but then you can/will loose settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.