Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trevpimp1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
is it really slow or no?
I mean it just came out this year
So it should last a few years right?

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Nah, it's fine.

It's just the nature of the beast. The newer thing is always faster. I refused to get the iPad4 knowing that the iPad will probably be re-designed for the next-gen. Plus I did just get the 3 in the Spring.

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
Anand did some benchmarks which showed it was slower in some cases than the iPad 4. But I don't notice any difference. http://www.anandtech.com/show/6472/ipad-4-late-2012-review/3

The main difference is the CPU. It's more power efficient than the iPad 3. I have noticed better battery length with the 4 vs 3.

Also, the charger that comes with the 4 is a little more powerful, shortening charging time on the 4.

Last edited:

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
i used to have an iPad 3, which i bought for full price on October 3. apple allowed me to return it and pre-order the iPad 4, which i did. i got the iPad 4 and in all honesty the difference was not very significant. app folders opened up a split second more quickly and web pages loaded maybe 1/2-1 sec more quickly. games played exactly the same (Metal Storm) and despite the A6X being twice as fast as the A5X, the A5 on a non-retina display still plays Metal Storm more fluidly. that Retina screen truly is a beast and i still feel that the A6X isn't fully adequate for the Retina. but i digress...that's a topic of discussion for another forum.

i saw that the iPad 3 refurbs substantially dropped in price right when the iPad 4 was announced. the iPad 3/4 64GB LTE that originally was $829 brand new was now $679... talk about a steep price drop ($150). i returned the iPad 4 and bought the iPad 3 version for $679. before i did this though, i thought about what my intentions were with this iPad 3. was i intending to hold onto it for 3 years or am i buying it to use for a year and then flip when the redesigned iPad 5 comes out? most likely it will be the latter. thus i concluded that going with the iPad 3 was the better way to go. an analogy to this situation would be trying to decide to buy a used car or a brand new car if you knew you would be selling it soon. most logical people would buy the used vehicle since after 1 year of ownership it will not have depreciated from the purchase price as much as the brand new one. going back to the iPad, the $679 iPad 3 64GB LTE iPad a year from now when the iPad 5 comes out, will probably have a resale dip to $600. the iPad 4 64GB LTE on the other hand, will likely drop from $829 down to the $679 price that the refurb iPad 3 used to be at due to downward pricing pressure from Apple.com iPad 4 refurbs. in my situation, after doing the simple math, the iPad 3 is the better way to go. however, not everyone's situation is the same as mine as they might not be planning to upgrade to the iPad 5. this scenario also doesn't end up being as extreme if you are comparing base model 16GB wifi models and you throw in Black Friday pricing too. that gap ends up being more narrow and then i might say just go with the iPad 4.

moving onto the other new features of the iPad 4. i have an iPhone 4S and i've owned iPods since 2005 so to be honest i won't miss the Lightning port - i'm too entrenched in 30-pin cables and accessories for the benefits of the new port (reversible) to negate the inconveniences. i have about a dozen 30-pin cables - several throughout the house, car, office, several at the lake house, briefcase, backpack, etc just to name a few. while wifi sync is great, it's not ideal for transferring 15GB of Season 2 of Game of Thrones to my iPad. i know eventually the Lightning cables will be generic, but they're not now and they won't be $0.99 probably for 2 more years. again like i said above, i am thinking about the now and for the next year.

not having a Facetime HD camera in the iPad 3 is OK - it's not like 720p will make my face more attractive. if anything it'll make it uglier lol. my girlfriend has the Mini so i at least get to see her in 720p when we occasionally Facetime which is maybe once every 2 months when i am on a business trip. if i was in a long distance relationship though, then i could see the 720p Facetime HD camera being a must.

so yeah, that's pretty much my reasoning why i went from an iPad 3, to and iPad 4, back to and iPad 3. i'm sure many will disagree with my logic and that's OK - that's why we're consumers...we each have our own opinion

clyde2801

macrumors 601
My neighbor bought his wife a 64gb wifi iP4 an early christmas present at BB, they didn't want to mess with the mall before Christmas. Being apple novices, he was having some problems matching it to his home computers to transfer some movies to it. I have to admit, as a 3 owner, I was impressed how quickly movies were loaded onto it.

That said, I don't think you'll be disappointed with a 3 doing basic, run of the mill consumer stuff, especially with the deals being offered on it right now. I'm pretty sure that's why Apple is still offering the iP2 as the $399 model instead of the iP3 in its stores; it would cut into their sales of the iP4 too much.

Before you pull the trigger, I'd suggest you do some soul searching and honestly answer about how likely you are to upgrade in the next year or two. If you're the type of person who loves to have the latest and shiniest gadget, get the base model ip3 to minimize your loss in selling it. (The higher of a MSRP, the more of a beating it'll take.) OTOH, if you honestly think you'll want to use it until it breaks or no longer does what you want it to do, get the biggest iP4 with the features (wifi or cellular) and storage you'll need.

If I had the $499 iP3, I'd probably be tempted to take up to a $200 loss and jump to the iP4. But I've got the $830 64gb LTE model, which would only get $500 on amazon when the iP4 first came out, and probably less now. Assuming I could get half of my Applecare plus back, it would cost roughly $950 with sales tax. That's a $450 hit. (And CL in my area is glutted with iP3's, so that's no help.) Considering I'm still content with how it operates, it would make absolutely no sense to upgrade. And that's even with me using it for work every day.

Signor S.

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2011
I currently own a 32 GB iPad 3. I bought it towards the end of July and can honestly say it is one of the best pieces of technology I have ever bought. I would not consider the iPad 3 sluggish in any way (although I have yet to play around with an iPad 4) and I am extremely happy with my purchase.

Yes, I knew the iPad 4 would be coming out soon (had no idea it would only be a few months), but has that made me regret my decision and want to return it for an iPad 4? Nah, that's technology and Apple for you and I plan on using this thing for many years to come.

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
Upgraded from 3 to 4. 3 is not slow, but that split second does help a lot. Is it worth the upgrade? It worth it for me since now my experience with it is much more fluid.

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
you know, I almost went for the iPad 3 because they were selling so cheaply. If you don't want to invest a lot of money into one it's the way to go.

I however picked me up a 4 last night from the Apple store and this thing rocks!!

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Depends on what you use it for. I never noticed any speed issues. Though I do not game on it. I see no reason to upgrade to a 4 or even 5 unless something really cool comes out. All I wanted was the retina display, speed was never an issue even on iPad 1 for me

Steveo13

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
South Carolina
Nah ipad 3 is great. I have one and my girlfriend just got an ipad 4 and there is barely a difference in speed. Hers is obviously faster with the A6X but its really not that noticeable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.