Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
It took me a few hours but i got it all figured out.

1. I booted into the recovory partition by holding down comand-r on reboot.I then used terminal to split the fusion link using these commands

The required commands are:
(note: you can use diskutil list and diskutil cs list to obtain the volume ID's on your computer)

diskutil cs deleteVolume < insert fusion logical volume ID here >
diskutil cs delete < insert coreStorage logical volume group ID here >

http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/minifud-ohnoes.jpg

2. installed OSX on the 128GB SSD from the recovery partition using the OSX installer. (i didnt try this but if you made a bootable backup before starting you could skip this step and just boot into the bootable backup and use the disk utility there (you cant use the recovery partitions disk utility as the volumes show up in red)

3. Booted into OSX or a bootable backup and used disk utility to partition the HDD in the correct way to bypass the 2.2TB windows issues using this guide :

You must make 3 partitions for this to work:

The first one will be your OSX partition
The second will be your bootcamp partition ( this must be in Fat 32!!!)
The last one will be a storage partition (you must have this partition for windows to boot, i stored all my movies on there.)

The trick is that the Bootcamp partition has to be in the first 2.2TB of space. What i did was make the OSX partition 500GB, the bootcamp partition 500GB then the storage partion 2TB. Aslong as the first two partitions don't go over 2.2 TB it will work.

4. Rebooted into the recovery partition and Relinked the fusion drive in terminal using this guide, remember to use the full identifier, for example (disk0s2) as the HDD will be partitioned and you only want to fuse the single partion with the ssd. You will fuse the OSX partition from the partitions we just made (mine was 500GB) and the SSD data partition which should be around 120GB http://www.macworld.com.au/help/how-to-make-your-own-fusion-drive-80884/

5. Once the drives are fused back together i reinstalled OSX on the new fusion partition that we just created.

6. Installed windows off a windows 7 install usb. You don't have to use bootcamp at all, you just bootup off the Win 7 usb stick and download the bootcamp drivers from here http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...0guny5bw6vm7to92ilew38ptli0z5/BootCampESD.pkg

Ask if you have any questions.

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I think a lot of people would find a detailed description useful...When you say you "Broke The Fusion Link" how? DU? do they appear as separate drives? I don't get mine until January but I've looked at DU in the 21.5's and the drive appears as one unit.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I think a lot of people would find a detailed description useful...When you say you "Broke The Fusion Link" how? DU? do they appear as separate drives? I don't get mine until January but I've looked at DU in the 21.5's and the drive appears as one unit.

Using terminal

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
A few questions about fusion and partitioning (although not actually pertinent to Windows):

If I start out with a fusion drive (128gb SSD + 1tb HDD), can I do the following?

1. Manually "un-fuse" the two drives (yes, I know this can be done), then...

2. PARTITION the 1tb HDD drive into, say, 4 separate partitions (256gb each), then...

3. RE-fuse ONE of the partitions with the SSD drive.

The results should appear on the desktop as:
- fusion drive (SSD + HDD)
- another partition
- another partition
- another partition
(4 disk icons, total)

??

torana355

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
A few questions about fusion and partitioning (although not actually pertinent to Windows):

If I start out with a fusion drive (128gb SSD + 1tb HDD), can I do the following?

1. Manually "un-fuse" the two drives (yes, I know this can be done), then...

2. PARTITION the 1tb HDD drive into, say, 4 separate partitions (256gb each), then...

3. RE-fuse ONE of the partitions with the SSD drive.

The results should appear on the desktop as:
- fusion drive (SSD + HDD)
- another partition
- another partition
- another partition
(4 disk icons, total)

??

Yes that is exactly what you have to do to get around the 2.2TB bootcamp issue.

I have my fusion drive (1 partition of the hdd and the ssd)
a bootcamp partion (another partition on the hdd)
another storage partition (on the hdd)

reflekshun

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2010
The trick is that the Bootcamp partition has to be in the first 2.2TB of space. What i did was make the OSX partition 500GB, the bootcamp partition 500GB then the storage partion 2TB. Aslong as the first two partitons dont go over 2.2 TB it will work.

4. Relinked the fusion drive using this guide, remember to use disk0s2 ect as the HDD will be partitioned. You will fuse the OSX partition from the partitions we just made and the SSD data partition which should be around 120GB http://www.macworld.com.au/help/how-to-make-your-own-fusion-drive-80884/

5. Installed windows off a windows 7 install usb.

Ask if you have any questions.

Are you saying I could install bootcamp on a 1TB Partition at the end of the drive? which means I essentially have:

2TB Fusion Drive Partition for OSX
1TB Bootcamp partition (Windows and storage together)

torana355

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Are you saying I could install bootcamp on a 1TB Partition at the end of the drive? which means I essentially have:

2TB Fusion Drive Partition for OSX
1TB Bootcamp partition (Windows and storage together)

No the Bootcamp partition has to be in the FIRST 2.2 TB of the 3TB drive. You need to have a MINIMUM 800GB data partition at the end of the drive which leaves 2.2TB for the OSX and bootcamp partiton. This works ok as you don't need your movies or music on the fusion drive anyway, it will actually make the fusion drive work better.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Last edited:

qamaro

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007

torana355

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I think torana355 was referring to the fact that the step by step for using terminal commands to setup the Fusion Break then SSD + Partition Fusion isn't very clear in most of these threads.

The twocanoes guide is basically just for the 3TB drive portion of the work effort.

Bingo!!!

qamaro

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
I'm eagerly awaiting your step-by-step guide. My system is in route on the 27th, so I'm pretty stoked that you were able to find success in doing this setup! :D

torana355

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I'm eagerly awaiting your step-by-step guide. My system is in route on the 27th, so I'm pretty stoked that you were able to find success in doing this setup! :D

Ive already updated the OP and put a lot more detail in there, if there is anything you don't understand feel free to ask and i will try to explain it as best i can :) It really is quite easy and i don't understand command lines at all lol.

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
Can you look into figuring out how to run Windows completely off of an external drive? (USB 3 or Thunderbolt?).

I'm just so nervous cutting up drives in terminal etc. when I also have work files on this computer.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Can you look into figuring out how to run Windows completely off of an external drive? (USB 3 or Thunderbolt?).

I'm just so nervous cutting up drives in terminal etc. when I also have work files on this computer.

Oh the first thing i did before doing ANYTHING was make a fully bootable backup with superduper to an external usb3 drive. That way if anything went wrong i could just let disk utility fuse the drives back together and restore from the backup.

There is already a way to get windows to boot off an external but it much more complicated then this lol.

ste0803

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012
Gateshead//Newcastle/UK

This has been done already, detailed instructions Here

In Short,

Make a bootcamp usb pen drive with windows & Drivers, create a small (4gb) partition on the internal drive, install windows on the external ssd. pretty straight forward to be honest.

Ste0803

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
Good info! I sent my 2012 iMac back, but this solution would've worked well for me since my 2011 iMac has both a 256GB SSD and a 2TB HDD (Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD 2). Setting up the Fusion drive and Windows partition like you described would've helped me migrate everything from my 2011 iMac to my 2012 iMac. I was having trouble getting my two separate drives migrated to the single Fusion drive...I had finally figured it out, but decided to return the computer before the migration was complete. Maintaining two separate HFS partitions would've made things much easier.

jberends

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2012
Netherlands

I have a step-by-step guide on the procedure I followed. That is to break the fusion drive, repartition the drive and rebuilt the fusion. My performance is absolutely on par in the new setup. Bring your own time machine backup!

http://tmblr.co/ZeDCRyZsh-kC

Last edited:

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
This has been done already, detailed instructions Here

In Short,

Make a bootcamp usb pen drive with windows & Drivers, create a small (4gb) partition on the internal drive, install windows on the external ssd. pretty straight forward to be honest.

Ste0803

If i'm understanding this correct, I would have to do BOTH of these processes for it to work, correct? I would STILL need to do bootcamp on an internal drive (this process), as well as do the instructions here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1508618/.

Correct me if I'm wrong?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.