Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knarzie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
My MBA has finally arrived. I say finally as I had my virtual finger hover over the 'buy' button for about 2 months, for no particular reason at all. It all happened incredibly fast actually, ordered yesterday morning and it arrived at lunchtime today :D

It is so incredibly light and thin! I've put it on top of my 13" unibody MacBook, what a difference. Quite excited about it. I've unboxed it and taken in a good whiff of the unmistakeable new Mac smell. :apple:

But I have not turned it on yet :( Very early start tomorrow and I want a few hours of peace and quiet with it and not just 10 minutes to turn on and off.

Anyway, here's my issue:

I'm moving from 750GB HDD to 128GB SSD, so can't just use time machine to transfer everything. My trusted MacBook is staying with Mrs knarzie, so unless I do a clean re-install for her, she will just use it as is, minus my email and message accounts, so nothing will be 'lost' anytime soon.

My itunes and iPhoto library will be moved to my Mac mini which will arrive on Christmas day :D (so I might just copy my old MB to the mini and delete whatever i don't want to keep)

So what's the easiest way to move my apps, docs, safari and chrome settings over? (email and message I can just set up again), or is it easier to copy all settings over?

Can I cherry pick what i want to move with migration assistant or should I just move things manually?

Since it's a MB, before they brought FW back and added the 'Pro' again, all I can use is USB2 to connect them, correct?

Thanks for reading, and feel free to move to more appropriate forum if it should be somewhere else.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Can I cherry pick what i want to move with migration assistant or should I just move things manually?

I would use Migration Assistant wirelessly and just uncheck the big items (like maybe music and pictures) you don't want to move.

You have some control over what moves in this screen.

6Przy.png

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
You can also use AirDrop for your files if you don't want to do a migration assistant. There are plenty of ways to get your data transfered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.