Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stroked

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Is it me or is Apple slowly turning from a respected maker of high-quality, versatile products into a company that makes "cheap disposable crap", only without the cheap part?

That's certainly what it looks like! Some examples:

- Screens held on with GLUE??
- No VESA mount for the iMacs
- Non-user replaceable hard drives on both models, and memory too on the smaller one
- Completely non-user-serviceable batteries in most mobile products (you can still swap the battery relatively easily in the iPhone and non-retina Macbook Pros but how long until the latter are discontinued?)

There's more... but it's disappointing. I wouldn't mind if there was a price reduction to coincide with increased product "cheapness" but it's all expensive as ever.

I see the resale price of used macs going down, in the near future.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
Is it me or is Apple slowly turning from a respected maker of high-quality, versatile products into a company that makes "cheap disposable crap", only without the cheap part?

- Non-user replaceable hard drives on both models, and memory too on the smaller one
- Completely non-user-serviceable batteries in most mobile products (you can still swap the battery relatively easily in the iPhone and non-retina Macbook Pros but how long until the latter are discontinued?)

There's more... but it's disappointing. I wouldn't mind if there was a price reduction to coincide with increased product "cheapness" but it's all expensive as ever.

Nah, it's not you, it's Apple.

The new iMacs are essentially oversized iPads that run OS X. Welcome to the future, where repairability doesn't exist and everything is disposable.

I know more then a few technicians who are cursing at the display being held down by glue (because apparently magnets were too expensive?). Pulling a new iMac open is no fun feat, nor is scraping off the old mounting foam and installing a new one. Frankly, I'm surprised the Mac Mini and laptops are still even openable, because the future of all Apple products is sealed tight at the factory.

-SC

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
I would not call replacing the battery on an iPhone "easy".

Have you ever tried to work on a sightly high end car from the last few years? The parts are full of sensors that need to programmed once they are replaced and only the certified dealers can do it. (Well, at least hacking them becomes commonplace.) It is the way business is done these days.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
So is this a case of not wall mountable at all or just not VESA comparable? It may be a case of requiring some form of adapter to allow existing VESA mounts to be used or some form of propriety mount, which isn't ideal but can at least be worked with. If its a case of the stand doesn't come off so your screwed then that is ridiculous.

Garsun

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2009
It's really a shame.

I'am one that uses VESA arms to float my last iMac and 30" monitor over my desk. I was looking forword to mounting the lighter new iMac the same way and will miss the open desk space under the screens.
That said, I suppose I'am in the less then 1% that apple would not consider important :(

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
So is this a case of not wall mountable at all or just not VESA comparable? It may be a case of requiring some form of adapter to allow existing VESA mounts to be used or some form of propriety mount, which isn't ideal but can at least be worked with. If its a case of the stand doesn't come off so your screwed then that is ridiculous.

The stand on the new iMac is fixed from inside the case so it will need to be stripped down if you want to fit an alternate mount.

There is some discussion in this new iMac strip down thread. It's possible a suitable mount could be made but you'll end up losing your warranty if you attempt to fit it.

This photo from that thread shows the mounting screws...

DSCF5715.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ripmax2000

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2005
Screws were on the inside on previous iMac too, but stand could be pulled out to access the screws.

cambox

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
omnipresent
Seems like some people are completely missing this. You should change this to "Current VESA mounts". They'll easily come out with a new way to make them compatible. Give them time. Not everything happens instantly.

The issue is with the wording, you have read this as being we are working on it but in reality it's bad English. 'At this time' is an American saying which is a statement of fact but doesn't mean its going to be actioned. its the same issue with many sayings or abbreviations and the worst on this forum is this obsession with the use of 'IMHO', this implies you lie the rest of the time. This of course is IMHO.

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
The issue is with the wording, you have read this as being we are working on it but in reality it's bad English. 'At this time' is an American saying which is a statement of fact but doesn't mean its going to be actioned. its the same issue with many sayings or abbreviations and the worst on this forum is this obsession with the use of 'IMHO', this implies you lie the rest of the time. This of course is IMHO.

H in this usage = humble, not honest ;)

dermeister

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2003

Actually, given real inflation over the years, Apple's products are as cheap as they have ever been in history.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Am I reading this article wrong, or is it true that the OLD iMac wan't VESA compatible either?

In which case, the more accurate, non-scandalous headline would be: VESA adapter bracket not (yet) redesigned for new iMac.

That's hardly news though...

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Am I reading this article wrong, or is it true that the OLD iMac wan't VESA compatible either?

In which case, the more accurate, non-scandalous headline would be: VESA adapter bracket not (yet) redesigned for new iMac.

That's hardly news though...

The old stand could be removed from outside the case to allow the VESA adaptor to be fitted. The new iMac needs to be stripped down to gain access to the screws that secure the stand so it's unlikely Apple will offer an adaptor.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
The old stand could be removed from outside the case to allow the VESA adaptor to be fitted. The new iMac needs to be stripped down to gain access to the screws that secure the stand so it's unlikely Apple will offer an adaptor.

Ah, yes. Thanks for not saying 'read the effing thread'. :)

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Apple, two steps forward, one step back...

More like Two steps slideways into nth dimensional space, one step back.

If it was a step forward or two it could be understandable, but thin and reduced features are not steps forward for a desktop PC.

----------

That said, I suppose I'am in the less then 1% that apple would not consider important :(

Nahh, that 1% apple consider not important are called "Consumers"

they only care about the 99% of people buying this crap as fashion items,

Seriously, i don't know why apple doesn't just stop putting electronics in these anymore and just sell them as art installations, they are approaching the point of being almost as useless.

But at least i can hang art on my wall.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Those are seriously the fugliest things i have ever seen. I'd rather pay 3k+ just to NOT see this on my desk. Heck i would pay double not to have this garbage near me. Good for you if you don't like the form factor. Some do and some are glad that they have done this design over the old ones. Nevermind... just saw the mustang picture... its hopeless.

I didn't mean the design. I meant the size and form factor. And excuse me snob. That car in the picture is mine. What do you drive thats so much better? I bought that car when I was 17 with my own money that I earned.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Blah this is why I find the thinness obsession to be weird. It doesn't take up less desk space as the depth footprint of stand plus machine is virtually identical. In this case it lost functionality for the moment. The purpose of thinning out a design should be to better accommodate spatially constrained installations. I wonder if this will be updated.

Give me a break. I find someone who mounts a computer on a wall the way that picture shows to be FAR weirder than the 99.9999% who leave an iMac on a desk and prefer it to look nice. You act as if people never rearrange their homes.

----------

So they are cheap because they are using industrial epoxy instead of screws and it's too difficult for you to cheaply go into the machine and tinker? Sounds like something a little more low-end from HP might be more appropriate for you, since cost is clearly a consideration. Having unnecessary loose parts like tiny screws is not inherently superior.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Having unnecessary loose parts like tiny screws is not inherently superior.

Using GLUE on consumer electronics, in fact, on an item which will get hot during use and break down the glue over time, is crap and badly thought out..

I see peoples screens falling out of these iMacs after they have been used for a year and half, and your only option will be to re-glue.

Magnets would have been, and have already been used as, a more intelligent, inherently superior solution, glue is just cost cutting to up the profit margin.

Screws would have been an inherently superior choice over GLUE... glue is NEVER the best option, glue degrades over time with environmental factors, screws do not.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
A little off topic but I disagree with the new iMacs looking "better". The "old" iMacs are still relatively thin and I highly doubt that there will be anywhere you can fit the new 27" in that you somehow couldn't do with the "old" 27". The experience is still the exact same for the user, as they still haven't cut down on the obtrusively large black bezel. If anything, these things would be more compact if they didn't have to have such a large bezel. 27" is more like 32" with Apple.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Give me a break. I find someone who mounts a computer on a wall the way that picture shows to be FAR weirder than the 99.9999% who leave an iMac on a desk and prefer it to look nice. You act as if people never rearrange their homes.

VESA is the only way to get a height adjustable imac or use it with an lcd arm increasing the freedom of placement. If you're going to respond in a condescending tone again, try to be better informed.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
"Hardly no-one was buying VESA-mounts anynore..."
"But we might re-introduce the magical VESA-mount again in the next model, if there's enough interest to it and not enough interest without it. Anyway you'll have to buy new imac, when current model's hdd runs out of warranty..."

lcavada

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2011
VESA mount

I too am disappointed i cannot mount my new iMac on my wall bracket.

But everyone seems to be fixated on bashing this new iMac and Apple.

As stated by some other posters, Apple should have come out with a new bracket, however they cant do everything at once. I'll wait until it comes out.

Do note that no one has mentioned the reason why i bought the new model.

HEAT

The previous version gets very hot during use. In a confined area and having the machine on all the time, raises the temperature of the room.

After several visits to the Apple store, i observed the news one runs MUCH cooler. This is by checking the temperature of the housing in several places.

I have checked the 21 inch and 27 inch versions.

This is my primary reason for selling my old one, and buying the new one.

SlugBlanket

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2011
Several steps backward

This and placing the SD card slot on the back of the display are imo really bad design choices.

I would have thought that making a large display such as this able to be mounted to a wall or an arm were commonsense design criteria. It's also well known that Apple users by and large tend to want their hardware to look it's best at all times. Having the card slot located at the back is going to result in many machines either getting scratched as we photographers fumble to locate the slot or users rotating the display on a regular basis which tends to be annoying.

I accept that for many an internal DVD drive is a bit of a dinosaur. I personally only use the drive to burn my CD's to a lossless format since I invested many years ago in a very high quality audio system. With the exception of the reduction of screen glare, this current iMac for me is a step backwards in real world ease of use.

I'm now faced with the prospect of having to mount the display on a Lazy Susan so that I can rotate it easily and/or have more cables and peripherals attached (DVD Drive, USB Card Reader). This for me is taking the shine off the point of an all-in-one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.