Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

DutchNews.nl reports on articles from the Dutch media noting that Steve Jobs' yacht Venus, which launched nearly two months ago, has been impounded by authorities due to a dispute with famed French designer Philippe Starck over design fees for the ship.
Baliffs boarded the brand new yacht Venus last Wednesday with an Amsterdam court order and it is now literally chained to the dock, the FD said. Port service companies have been instructed not to help it to leave.

The dispute centres on a EUR3m unpaid bill from Starck, known for his minimalist interiors, who worked with Jobs on designing the yacht for years. His fee had been established at 6% of the cost price, Rotterdam lawyer Roeland Klaassen told the paper.
The dispute seems to be related specifically to the cost of building the boat, with Starck claiming that the yacht was slated to cost EUR150 million while the Jobs family says that it only cost EUR105 million. The EUR45 million difference in prices means that Starck believes he is missing out on EUR2.7 million ($3.57 million) in design fees.

jobs_yacht.jpg
The original report from Dutch financial newspaper Financieele Dagblad claims that there was no formal contract between Jobs and Starck, and that an out-of-court settlement of the dispute is likely.

Article Link: Steve Jobs' Yacht Impounded in $3.6 Million Dispute Over Design Fee

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
You don't make a million dollar deal without having a contract signed! I don't care if you are a minimalist!

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Very nice design, with Frank Lloyd Wright sensibilities.
More suitable design than the "mach 7 aerodynamics" of most recent superyachts.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Typical frenchie. Whinging because he's only getting paid €6,300,000 instead of €9,000,000. Aww, diddums..

How is he going to feed his family now? ;)

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
You don't make a million dollar deal without having a contract signed! I don't care if you are a minimalist!

That would be weird. I'm guessing there is more to this, but a contract should spell out how such a fee is determined. I'm surprised the article suggests a yacht of this price was impounded based on a supposed verbal agreement.

VAvW

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
That's what you get when you don't ship my new iMac to the Netherlands in "2-3 weeks" after an early 30 November order!

MN7119

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
This iYacht is the ugliest yacht I've ever seen. They should sue the designer in court for designing such a terrible yacht.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.