Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alag28

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2006
im surprised with the shortage of i5s due to the great demand, you got so many replacements lol

Tbontb12345

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2012
update...

Big news. I went to the apple store today and got a replacement iPhone5. Came back and the issue was the same. However, I have discovered that IF i increase the volume to about half, the fluctuation in volume goes away. The volume fading problem I was encountering happens very reliably when I have the volume set at 1, lowest setting. Things are looking good.

The reason why i set it to 1 is because I use in-the-ear headphones. I can almost just bare the volume when set at 50%. I think it's still good when set to 40%. Now, i didn't realize this before the replacement, but I think it could have been the same case.

Blackhawk42

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
I am on my third iPhone 5! I am tired of the noise it makes during a call... It is intermittent it sounds like you are about to leave a message on an answering machine! That beep, beep, beep. Sometimes short sometimes long! Idk what to do as I am on my third phone in three weeks now. Any help please advise.

TMadzia

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2012
Yea

----------

I too am on my 4th iPhone 5. If I listen to a recording like time and temperature as an example 10 times, 2 times pieces are missing or sound statically or robotic. The Apple morons now say it is the Sprint and Verizon networks. I use Sprint. I am so happy to read that I am not the only one with these issues. Please advise.

toutla

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2011
Also experiencing poor quality on 2nd Verizon iphone 5

I also switched to a Verizon iPhone 5 from an AT&T iPhone 4. I have the same issue of robotic voices, choppy sound quality and cutting out altogether at times. I purchased at best buy, and have already returned it once. 2nd verizon phone has same issues. I have tried all the fixes:

turning off bluetooth
turning on hearlng aid setting
resetting to factory instead of restoring from my iphone4 backup
resetting network settings
updated to ios 6.0.2 which was just released yesterday - I am hopeful that it might be fixed in the next version that is still in beta, but I'm not holding my breath.

My plan is to return the phone and try an iPhone 5 via AT&T. However, based on 29 pages of similar complaints on Apples website (below), I believe the problem is with the iPhone 5 itself, regardless of carrier...the originator of this thread was on AT&T, and many users with European carriers are experiencing the same issue. I will try the iPhone 5 on AT&T for the same period of time 14 days, then return it for a 4S if the problem is not fixed by switching carriers. I'll try to remember to come back here and post my findings. Take a look below, its happening to alot of folks in alot of different situations.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4348915?start=0&tstart=0

Last edited:

Spinshag

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2012
We have been discussing this in the Apple forums as well. It's odd how some replace their phone multiple times, yet no improvement. I'm headed to the Verizon store today since my phone is having major issues. I thought to wait for 6.0.2. It did nothing to solve the problem.

toutla

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2011
UPDATE: Problem solved by switching to AT&T

After 2 Verizon phones, I decided to switch back to AT&T and have not encountered the problem since. AT&T told me that verizon's phone network is older and poorer quality (no shock ATT would say that about a rival), however, I have a new iPhone 5 and I'm experiencing the same call quality I had while I was on my old iPhone 4. Some folks have experienced the same problem on AT&T, but Verizon folks, I encourage you to give AT&T a try to see if it solves your problem. Unfortunately, I dont think the coverage is as good as Verizon, but call quality is my #1 priority with a phone. Good Luck!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.