Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamfozzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
Hi all,

I received my first black iPhone 5 at the end of November and after a few days I noticed the green glow on the unlock screen which others have commented on. I ordered another one which arrived yesterday. This one has 3 scuffs around the edge. I phoned apple and they are sending a replacement which will be arriving tomorrow. I am hoping for a better example this time.

Anyone else had issues with iPhone 5 quality?I know there has been a lot on e web about scuffgate.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
If you read through the iPhone sub-forums, you'll quickly find that a lot of people have been having issues with the quality of their iPhone 5's... bending, scuffing, etc. Your best bet is to keep trying until you are satisfied -- either that or just decide to go with the white/silver iPhone this time around. Even if you do receive a perfect slate iPhone 5, it's bound to scratch within the first month of owning the device.

Good luck in your search.

S

syd430

1st- strong yellow tinge at top 1/3 of screen only
2nd - even worse than the first
3rd - loose home button and top right corner of screen is popped out and makes a clicking noise when pressed. Also has the same uneven yellow tint at top 1/3 of the screen only.

Keeping the 3rd as I could't be bothered changing it again.

Probably the worst QC for any product that i've ever come across.

Also, I couldn't care less about scuff marks. I'd gladly take an iPhone 5 with scuff marks over a strong uneven screen tint or a screen that is popped out.

Last edited by a moderator:

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
Seems like you're spending too much time looking for flaws on the phone than actually using it... careful though, next thing you know, the 5S is out

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Seriously... if you look hard enough you're going to find a flaw. It's human made... You'd think after x iPhones you'd start to look at yourself as the problem.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Mines is pretty much perfect and didn't have to deal with imperfections. When I bought the girlfriends phone the first one we got it had scuffs all over so they brought out another one that was perfect.

adamfozzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
3rd iPhone 5 arrived today and is perfect. For people who have said it is OCD then that is crap. You pay £529 for a product and you want it in new condition think is not too much to ask.

Impressed with how quickly Apple replaced my phone.

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
i got my replacement after an unresponsive screen and well this one has 4 marks like almost the aluminim border is scratched its the weirdest thing i wonder if i should take it back. its 4 "white scuffs:" about 1mm each, 2 on both left and right side borders. it seems weird that each one is the exact same distance from each other as well as top and bottom of the phone like it was planned haha it just looks like a chip but i wonder if its more then that. they are located on the slant where the white top cover meets the aluminum border

adamfozzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
i got my replacement after an unresponsive screen and well this one has 4 marks like almost the aluminim border is scratched its the weirdest thing i wonder if i should take it back. its 4 "white scuffs:" about 1mm each, 2 on both left and right side borders. it seems weird that each one is the exact same distance from each other as well as top and bottom of the phone like it was planned haha it just looks like a chip but i wonder if its more then that. they are located on the slant where the white top cover meets the aluminum border

I would get that one replaced.

RobNor

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
1st- strong yellow tinge at top 1/3 of screen only
2nd - even worse than the first
3rd - loose home button and top right corner of screen is popped out and makes a clicking noise when pressed. Also has the same uneven yellow tint at top 1/3 of the screen only.

Keeping the 3rd as I could't be bothered changing it again.

Probably the worst QC for any product that i've ever come across.

Also, I couldn't care less about scuff marks. I'd gladly take an iPhone 5 with scuff marks over a strong uneven screen tint or a screen that is popped out.
Is the yellow tint over the top 1/3 of the screen common?

Bluesky2011

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2012
London
I also have problem with my iphone 5. It has a light leaking at the top of the border near the power button. It is really uncomfortable when looking the beautiful screen with the light leak at the top. So I decided to send it back to Apple. So dissapointed.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Just recently got a white box replacement from the Apple store (black iPhone 5) it came in perfect condition

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.