Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
What would you have liked to make them say? :)

Something where "sept-nov period" is not considered an actual term ever used before in the history of man. This is two oddly-picked periods of time, likely to justify making an article about it. It's not so much the analysis of statistics you use, it's what is used, and what is omitted.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
Something where "sept-nov period" is not considered an actual term ever used before in the history of man. This is two oddly-picked periods of time, likely to justify making an article about it. It's not so much the analysis of statistics you use, it's what is used, and what is omitted.

maybe the wording could be better, but all it is a rolling 12-week (one quarter) snapshot of sales... the 'rolling 12-week' is a common stat (in this case it's compared y/y)

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
The difference between US and Europe can be addressed to subsidizing, I think in Europe the price difference between iPhone and high-end devices from competitors is >€200,- while in the US it's no more than $100 (€80). Give or take.

For Apple's sake, I hope this subsidizing will continue forever, because this model is the main reason iPhone devices are more popular than Android devices.

Nevertheless, extremely impressive results, because the previous year was the first Android devices really caught up with the iPhone, but still the iPhone sales are way stronger. Really impressive.

actually u can get the iPhone 5 for 1€ here in Germany at least

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Gained nearly 20% of the market share in the last year... Wow.

Not really surprising...anyone with an ounce of common sense knows that Apple is not in the majority of sand boxes yet out there on the planet. As they continue to move into them, that % will continue to skyrocket up.

As we like to say, Android and iOs are not on the same playing the same game still...when they both are on all the exact same carriers, only then can you get true #s

JohnnieBlack

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2012
Wow, Microsoft actually gained market share. I think that's a first since the release of Windows Phone 2+ years ago.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

Okay. It's three months that include a bad month for Apple (September). I would think that the December quarter will look similar or even better for Apple.

Your welcome. Only 1/2 my comment was repeating him. The other was a statement. Do you agree or disagree with his statement?

I agree with his statement. I was asking about his implication. See the reasonable response above.

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
actually u can get the iPhone 5 for 1€ here in Germany at least

I can get the iPhone for 150€ but instead of paying 7,5€ a month including unlimited calls, sms and 300mb of internet (calls and sms under the same network, but the only network that isn't crap is vodafone so almost everybody is vodafone), I would be paying like 100€ for unlimited calls, sms and internet (sms and calls to all networks). And I would get stuck in a 2 year contract.

Last edited:

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
The difference between US and Europe can be addressed to subsidizing, I think in Europe the price difference between iPhone and high-end devices from competitors is >€200,- while in the US it's no more than $100 (€80). Give or take.

For Apple's sake, I hope this subsidizing will continue forever, because this model is the main reason iPhone devices are more popular than Android devices.

Nevertheless, extremely impressive results, because the previous year was the first Android devices really caught up with the iPhone, but still the iPhone sales are way stronger. Really impressive.

If the subsidized model goes away, all phone prices will go up. I mean its still the whole would you buy a SGS3 for $600 or the iPhone 5 for $650...is $50 going to stop someone from buying an Apple device? For me and many others ...nope.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Wow, Microsoft actually gained market share. I think that's a first since the release of Windows Phone 2+ years ago.

MS is fighting for 2nd place. I think as they refine the Surface and WP, they will move into 2nd place over Android. Android is just way too fragmented.

mjtomlin

Jan 19, 2002

You could also argue that the reasoning is because in the US the iPhone is offered by almost all major carriers. Worldwide, the iPhone is on less then half the carriers Android phones are offered on.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
maybe the wording could be better
My point is that statistical analysis always has that caveat. But not by accident, they are very carefully wording it to trick people into believing what they want.

According to commercials, the #1 TV show is on:
Fox
NBC
CBS
ABC

I'm sure the list is much longer, but I no longer pay for cable/sat to see more commercials.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
My point is that statistical analysis always has that caveat. But not by accident, they are very carefully wording it to trick people into believing what they want.

Fox
NBC
CBS
ABC

I'm sure the list is much longer, but I no longer pay for cable/sat to see more commercials.

Sure, but there was no word play here. It is a 3-month US market share estimate. Or am I missing something?

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011

Fox
NBC
CBS
ABC

Similar to how all of the carriers in the US have the largest 4G network.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
25% of Europe is really really impressive!

It really is considering how little carriers the iPhone is offered on over there.

I would like to see a % across the world where it's only carriers that offer both the iPhone and Android to see what the true #s are.

JohnnieBlack

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2012
MS is fighting for 2nd place. I think as they refine the Surface and WP, they will move into 2nd place over Android. Android is just way too fragmented.

They have a looooong way to go. They didn't help their case by alienating buyers of the original Lumia and other devices that are unable to upgrade to WP 8.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
It really is considering how little carriers the iPhone is offered on over there.

I would like to see a % across the world where it's only carriers that offer both the iPhone and Android to see what the true #s are.

Little carriers in Spain, Germany, Italy, France or UK?

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Okay. It's three months that include a bad month for Apple (September). I would think that the December quarter will look similar or even better for Apple.

I agree with his statement. I was asking about his implication. See the reasonable response above.
I would just prefer to see all the stats and make my own judgements/analysis. But then, numbers don't scare me.

I realize this would make for poor advertising or news.

EwanMcTeagle

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
Lodz, Poland
That is the problem in Europe is that the iPhone is crazy expensive. I can buy an iPad and an relatively cheap phone and it still doesn't cost as much as an iPhone.
Most of the people that have iPhones the company for who they work for is paying for them.

Agreed. iPhones are crazy expensive in Western Europe... but, as they have basically the same prices in Poland (mid-east Europe), means they are "are u ******* nuts?" expensive here:) [And even more so when buying from cellular carriers that sell iPhones with absurdly expensive contracts compared to UK for example]. But I guess that's the price of being a 2nd world country - you have Western European prices and Eastern European wages:)
Anyways, dueo to pricing iPhones are limited in availability to well paid professionals and to... business owners. The latter often buy iPhones with their contracts to sell them later at auctions - while their stick with their old Nokias, which are more sensible I guess, being that they're cheap and having long battery lives.
And thank god for that:) I got my 64GB 4S from such a gentleman, who bought two of those "for" his business and sold them at an auction - all in all I paid 1/3 less for my 64GB 4S that I would've paid for 16GB version at Apple or anywhere else.
So it's nice that Apple gains marketshare and so on - I like their products, but I'm never going to buy at Apple Polish online store or from their resellers in my country - I just don't like to be mugged:)

yakapo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
I know most of you don't like the idea, but the iphone would have even more market share in the usa if they offered a 5" or bigger phone along with the existing 4" phone. I'd get one.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
So how many phones are we counting here? Surely this is including all iPhones, but when was the last time you saw an iPhone 2G in the wild? Let's just say iPhone 3GS and after; that's four phones running iOS against the tons and tons that run Android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.