Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
^ Nice post! I'd be singing along, but unfortunately the world just ended.

Here's a satellite view of California that I took from my escape balloon:

dec-21-california.jpg

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Morning all. Nice and sunny here in NZ, world still exists... but I haven't seen another living person today! :eek:

Edit: Crisis averted; I just heard a car and it's probably being driven by a human. Either that, or sheep in some sort of woolly uprising...

Last edited:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Now the World was supposed to end at 11:11 am GMT - I see this posted all over on websites - how can the world end 24 times over within each individual time zone? :eek:

;)
Think of it this way: If the earth exploded, we'd all go at once. But if sunshine suddenly turned into a death ray we'd each be destroyed when sunrise reached our longitude. It wouldn't be 24 discrete events, but a continuous process over a 24 hour period. Either way, you wouldn't get to take advantage of all those extended warranties you were talked into buying! :)

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Think of it this way: If the earth exploded, we'd all go at once. But if sunshine suddenly turned into a death ray we'd each be destroyed when sunrise reached our longitude.

Does the death ray only kill people? What if we're in a space and not receiving sunlight (deathray light)? Can we stay on a plane traveling west forever? If we're at one of the poles does that mean we need to jog in circles for the rest of our lives?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Does the death ray only kill people?
The last time sunshine turned into a death ray (quite a few years ago), it killed all living organisms except cockroaches and used car salesmen.

What if we're in a space and not receiving sunlight (deathray light)?
You'll die from breathing all that aether.

Can we stay on a plane traveling west forever?
No, because they have only a 2-day supply of snack pretzels.

If we're at one of the poles does that mean we need to jog in circles for the rest of our lives?
I suggest dancing instead of jogging. Pole dancers are never killed by death rays.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Now the World was supposed to end at 11:11 am GMT - I see this posted all over on websites - how can the world end 24 times over within each individual time zone? :eek:

;)

It's done in piecemeal. :)

Actually I saw that the solstice was on 11:12 AM instead of the often quoted 11:11 AM and 11 seconds. But 11:11 just sounds so much more mysterious for the end with such a unique number such as 11. Only north and south America and some of the Pacific is still inside of December 21st, 2012. I wonder what all those doomsdayers are going to say in a few hours.:p

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Well, we are well into Christmas in part of the world (or just Dec. 25th) and the areas in the far west lagging behind like me are enjoying breakfast on the 24th.

Any alternate Maya calendar ending on December 23rd, instead of the more accepted Dec 21st, and resulting end of the world theories by some is just something that didn't happen. The end of the world folk will probably have to focus on the next often quoted year of 2015 to wait for the apocalypse from the reliable source of Weekly World News :) :

http://weeklyworldnews.com/headlines/23938/end-of-the-world-postponed/

That gives us time to get a lot of things done. Pretty much, I would just want to work, have some time off, and get to see another SF Giants-Oakland A's World Series before it's all done. It would also be nice if in the last three years of planet earth if the New York Yankees failed in any attempts to make the postseason!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.