Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
It seems like a possibility that no cover flow in iTunes 11 is the first sign of phasing it out completely. When was the last time you used it on your iPhone? I used to be really anal about having all the artwork, but when you're like me with a massive music library then it just gets a bit tiresome. It's already never been added to the iPad music app and I wouldn't be surprised if they removed it from the iPhone and iPod touch music app as well as OS X (still on Lion, not sure if it's still in Mountain Lion). Though I don't know if too many would notice (in a positive way) if they got rid of it due to it not really taking up any power or resources.

EDIT: iOS, Mountain Lion, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, etc - I wasn't too sure where to put this thread, haha.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I hated it, from the start. Sure it looked great when Jobs demo'd it but actual usage - well it wasn't that great imo.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
I love my cover flow.. I've also spent hours upon hours organizing my album artwork... I own an iPod classic, and I'd be pretty sad to see cover flow eliminated from iTunes forever...

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Suppose it's only me then!

That likes it? I've known a lot of people that use it. I think I've used it more more in OS X than my iPhone or iTunes for actual use. Ha. I almost forgot it was in iTunes, which is the reason for this. Haha. XD

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Absolutely loved it when I got my 1st gen iPod touch, along with pinching to zoom! :p

Now I sparingly use it, however it is quite fun to rediscover music you haven't listened to in a while.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I was kind of sad to see it go in iTunes 11, but I don't really miss it there. However I think it should be kept on iDevices unless they figure out a better method when you turn your phone in landscape mode. I happen to really enjoy it on my iPhone. I don't use it all the time but I'm glad it's implemented for now.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Wasn't it introduced back in 2007 with the first iOS/iPhone? I'd say back then it was a gimmick to impress people who'd go "oh wow I turn my device and then something happens". But really, it's probably just a remnant from that time. Today, it's nothing that excites people too much. And as it has been said, I think it's pretty useless and there are faster ways to get to your music.

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
the coverflow for music when its rotated is beyond stupid. i dont think i have ever used it and is the only reason I use auto-lock. I would love for it to go the way of the do-do bird

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I found it useful sometimes when I needed to quickly browse a folder of images on a computer. But as far as music or any other iTunes-related stuff is concerned, I hate it.

I really hate how I had to download another app to have a useful landscape presentation of my music in my car. Why this isn't built in baffles me. I mean the controls available in portrait mode are perfectly fine, but flip it and you get fewer buttons and craziness.

As far as using the rotation lock, that's nice if you don't use that switch for mute about 100 times more often. If someone knows of an easy work-around -- such as a triple-tap of home to use rotation lock -- I would be his or her best friend.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Aaaand I just remembered it's also in Safari.

Wasn't it introduced back in 2007 with the first iOS/iPhone? I'd say back then it was a gimmick to impress people who'd go "oh wow I turn my device and then something happens". But really, it's probably just a remnant from that time. Today, it's nothing that excites people too much. And as it has been said, I think it's pretty useless and there are faster ways to get to your music.

It came into iTunes 7 September of '06 and the original iPhone was announced January '07, so it's at least obvious the two were meant to correlate.

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
Useless on the computer, but very practical on the iPhone / iPod due to the touch interface,

LOL, that's where I absolutely hate it! It ticks me off immensely to see the useless Coverflow appear when I tilt my iPod Touch. At least on the PC I could always avoid it, and it would never appear by accident.

BasilFawlty

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2009
New Mexico
I can see not wanting it on an iPad or iPhone, but I love it on my iMac (27 inch) and will not upgrade if it means loosing Cover Flow. They should at least make it an option!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.