Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

google

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
I highly doubt that Apple will not release anything new this spring for their iPad line. This would be a huge blow to their numbers for the first half of 2013. With the tumbling stock price and competition they will release a new iPad and Mini with retina. I can't imagine they will go with a fall cycle release for all of their products and have nothing new for earlier part of the year.

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
I highly doubt that Apple will not release anything new this spring for their iPad line.

I agree with you. I can't imagine they would wait till fall for a release of next generation of all their products. I'm guesstimating a Mini 2 this spring, a touchscreen Macbook in the summer, an iPhone 5S/6 in September. And an iPad 5 in October.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
I agree with you. I can't imagine they would wait till fall for a release of next generation of all their products. I'm guesstimating a Mini 2 this spring, a touchscreen Macbook in the summer, an iPhone 5S/6 in September. And an iPad 5 in October.

I would agree with this. It's a good product release cycle if they do go about it this way.

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
This is how i think that it will go iPad released in march/april time the first week of october the iphone will be release and about the third week in october we will see a iPad mini with the new ibooks4 and they will tell us how many iPhone sales they have since launch day

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Hell, for all we know we may get the iPhone 5S in the Spring. They broke the iPhone and iPad cycle before. Maybe they want people to guess when their products come out so competition can't compete during that time.

google

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Spring - Mini 2
Summer/WWDC - iPhone 5s/6, iOS 7, iPods
In between Macbook/Mac Mini refreshed
Fall - New iPads / iMacs

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
I think they'll keep the iPads at the year end because people tend to need Christmas gift ideas. I think the iPhone at year end is bad because it'll clash with the Christmas gifts. Also iPhones aren't great gifts since they are in the $700 price range.

I'm thinking the iPhone 5S will come in the spring but the iPads will stay for the year end. Maybe the Mac pro and the accessories will come in spring too..

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Your post contradicts your title….

I take that back… did not notice the double negative in your post.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Interesting take. ipad is doing well, but at the expense of the ipad. imo--look for a mine retina announcement in march, but the current mini will stay on, replacing ipad2 as the entry level product. If apple feel threatened, it may cut the mini price to $299. Look for mini retina to price at &429. I pad 4 refresh in the fall, with mini like design and 1/3 less weight

http://www.forbes.com/sites/roberth...her-ipads-while-googles-android-steals-share/

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
iPad mini with retina - Spring 2013
iPhone 5S, MacBook Air with retina, Mac refresh - Summer 2013
iPad 5, iPod refresh, new Apple TV (not the iTV) - Fall 2013

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I highly doubt that Apple will not release anything new this spring for their iPad line. This would be a huge blow to their numbers for the first half of 2013. With the tumbling stock price and competition they will release a new iPad and Mini with retina. I can't imagine they will go with a fall cycle release for all of their products and have nothing new for earlier part of the year.

I hate double negative sentences. "I highly doubt Apple will miss the chance to release a new iPad mini this spring" would have been better.

BTW...Apple will not release another mini until late next year.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Spring lol.

Even if a Retina mini was ready for spring (same weight/size/battery life <----unlikely) why on earth would Apple release a successor when it can barely meet demand for the current Mini? Sure, by April you'll probably be able to pull one off the shelf in any sku you wish, but Apple will want to milk at least 9 months sales out of the current mini.

I adore my LTE Mini, and a retina version can't come soon enough, I'll be first in line....but spring, seriously? Get real. Oh, and step away from the Digitimes rumours that are endlessly recycled every couple of months. I swear they have a template which they just switch out iPad/iPhone/mac/clock speeds & resolution and replace it with +1 every time. Much of them come true, but only in the sense that saying "it's going to rain" will come true at some point if you say it enough. Hardly prophetic, good grief.

Last edited:

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California

A touch screen Macbook? PAH! I highly doubt it... if they were to ever have released a touch screen Macbook, I'm sure they would have by now.

I think I remember reading an article somewhere about Steve Jobs completely being against the idea of a touch screen notebook because it was ergonomically inefficient.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
BTW...Apple will not release another mini until late next year.

Spring lol.

Even if a Retina mini was ready for spring (same weight/size/battery life <----unlikely) why on earth would Apple release a successor when it can barely meet demand for the current Mini? Sure, by April you'll probably be able to pull one off the shelf in any sku you wish, but Apple will want to milk at least 9 months sales out of the current mini.

Yep, couldn't agree more with both of you. The rumours regarding a Spring mini or Spring iPhone 5S or Spring iPad 5 are born out of hope more than anything (except for the websites that are merely trying to increase visitors for advertising revenue). The iPhone 5 is still newly releasing in countries in the world as is the mini, and there are still stock issues. A new product takes time to stockpile for launch - when is that going to happen when there are stock issues with the current model??

I wish these Spring upgrade rumours would die out, but I guess we'll all see in just a few short months as Spring is now just 3 months from today (actually yesterday, it's Sat here now).

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
A touch screen Macbook? PAH! I highly doubt it... if they were to ever have released a touch screen Macbook, I'm sure they would have by now.

I think I remember reading an article somewhere about Steve Jobs completely being against the idea of a touch screen notebook because it was ergonomically inefficient.

He also said...
"7-inch tablets are tweeners: too big to compete with a smartphone and too small to compete with the iPad. ….7-Inch tablets are dead on arrival."
Steve Jobs - Apple Earnings Call - October 2010

I think a touch screen Macbook is less about if, and more about when. Given the implementation of gestures in Mountain Lion earlier this year (http://www.apple.com/osx/what-is/gestures.html), I think its coming sooner than later. If Microsoft can do it, surely Apple can.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
He also said...
"7-inch tablets are tweeners: too big to compete with a smartphone and too small to compete with the iPad. ….7-Inch tablets are dead on arrival."
Steve Jobs - Apple Earnings Call - October 2010

I think a touch screen Macbook is less about if, and more about when. Given the implementation of gestures in Mountain Lion earlier this year (http://www.apple.com/osx/what-is/gestures.html), I think its coming sooner than later. If Microsoft can do it, surely Apple can.

Don't you think that touch screen MacBooks would have already been out by now? Especially considering that:

1.) Microsoft has already introduced a touch screen notebook to the market

2.) Touch screen technology has been around for a while now

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
It will be interesting to see where Apple goes from here. Especially when it comes to iPads. Other that following their own trend of adding retina to the mini, not much needs to be done with the full size model. Placing so much emphasis on the mobile space like all other manufacturers Apples got a reputation to maintain. How they choose to approach it in 2013 will be truly interesting. Especially given the large number of rumors surrounding Samsung & Android in general. Keeping themselves in the headlines as much or more than they were this year, may be one of Apples big challenges.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Don't you think that touch screen MacBooks would have already been out by now? Especially considering that:

1.) Microsoft has already introduced a touch screen notebook to the market

2.) Touch screen technology has been around for a while now

It turns out that consumers really like touch laptops with windows 8. A verge review of a win hybrid noted that the "gorilla arm" phenomena did not occur with notebooks and that he was surprised to really like this style of navigation.

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
Spring - Mini 2
Summer/WWDC - iPhone 5s/6, iOS 7, iPods
In between Macbook/Mac Mini refreshed
Fall - New iPads / iMacs

I agree.

It's a little too soon for the iPad mini 2, but I welcome it very much if it means retina display.

I'm really hopeful for the 5S/6 this Summer! My 2 year upgrade is around that time!!! :eek:

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
Don't you think that touch screen MacBooks would have already been out by now?

No because...

Sad that Steve has passed. But since then, Apple came out with one product that Steve didn't believe in (a smaller iPad). And if what you say is true about him being against a touch notebook, that may have been the reason Apple did not come out with a touchscreen notebook sooner.

I must admit, gestures work better on a touchscreen than they do on a touchpad. If it works for Microsoft, I don't see why it wouldn't work for Apple.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
they can release the next iPad whenever they want, mine will still work fine. And I'm not an habitual iPad buyer, my first one is coming in the mail.

google

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
So FP news already indicates what I stated in my original post...wait for some more news to come out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.