Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
For you maybe.

Ive got 12,000 tracks uploaded to Google Music. All matched perfectly with artwork showing. No issues at all.

Each to their own though.

Must admit that i'm of the same opinion, was streaming music this afternoon, all worked perfectly.:)

I also have a large amount matched with artwork showing.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Must admit that i'm of the same opinion, was streaming music this afternoon, all worked perfectly.:)

I also have a large amount matched with artwork showing.

About 50% matched and nothing special about my music collection. Mainly ripped CDs, no special formats. Of those that were matched, probably around 60% have artwork. Also UI fairly crude in my opinion.

sebseb81

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2010
I have Google Music Manager installed, but it doesn't appear to be doing any matching, only uploading. Any ideas how to get this working?

Thanks.

latestmonkey

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2002
I have Google Music Manager installed, but it doesn't appear to be doing any matching, only uploading. Any ideas how to get this working?

Thanks.

I thought this at first as well but if you notice, the number of songs that gets "uploaded" is much faster than your upload speed. Those are the ones getting matched.

Renzatic

Suspended
No! To get more bandwidth, the networks have to expand. That involves laying more fiber optics. It can only happen in bursts. Also, as more people use bandwidth, it becomes more scarce.

It is cheaper nowadays, by quite a bit, Though the more people require it, the more the telcos need to up their game and lay more fiber.

...but that's a cost that's recouped fairly quickly.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
No! To get more bandwidth, the networks have to expand. That involves laying more fiber optics. It can only happen in bursts. Also, as more people use bandwidth, it becomes more scarce. As more people use flash storage, it's just mass-produced more.

We aren't even nearly using the full capacity on the major intercontinental fibre links that already exist and fibre technology is becoming cheaper and cheaper. I've got a map of the worlds major links somewhere (unfortunately I can't find it right now) and it shows that only somewhere between 1/3 - 1/2 of the physical fibres in these links have been provisioned (i.e "lit").

When the telcos lay fibre they typically massively over-deploy and most of the costs aren't for the fibre itself, but for getting it in the ground/under the ocean.

I work in the webhosting industry and I know for a fact that bandwidth prices have dramatically decreased in the last few years. The price we pay per Mbit is about 1/5 what it was 5 years ago.

This price decrease is partly offset by the greater bandwidth requirements due to things like smartphones etc and the bandwidth requirements of streaming video.

What has increased recently (at least in my area of the world), is colocation costs in datacentres.

----------

It is cheaper nowadays, by quite a bit

^ This.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.