Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
MS is fighting for 2nd place. I think as they refine the Surface and WP, they will move into 2nd place over Android. Android is just way too fragmented.

Why would fragmentation stop Android from gaining market share? After all, it hasn't until now.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
That is the problem in Europe is that the iPhone is crazy expensive. I can buy an iPad and an relatively cheap phone and it still doesn't cost as much as an iPhone.
Most of the people that have iPhones the company for who they work for is paying for them.

what about the secondary market iPhones? They have got to be cheaper.

----------

Why would fragmentation stop Android from gaining market share? After all, it hasn't until now.

True. Once people start to trust MS again, it will gain alot on Android if they are priced about the same.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
While on some level I definitely join the group of "who cares" in regards to which company has more market share, I'm getting the feeling that the ones here that are actually showing their annoyance over the article are perhaps Android users? :D

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
what about the secondary market iPhones? They have got to be cheaper.

----------

True. Once people start to trust MS again, it will gain alot on Android if they are priced about the same.

Yes on the secondary market (if you mean second hand market) they are cheaper but most people ask more money than they are worth. Yet I've seen lots of lumias 800 sold cheaply (new in the box for 100~150 eur).

About Microsoft I doubt that people will gain trust soon enough. Nokia has huge problems with unreliability (I don't know about the lumia series), most people avoid nokia like the plague. The windows 8 update fiasco made many people reluctant to buy windows phones.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
Another reason I went to android was because of this, while I liked the new iPhone, it didn't really offer much for me over the 4S, but as I feared, and this confirms it, EVERY MAN AND HIS DOG HAVE AN IPHONE!

Talk about boring!

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
These numbers are so fudged its not even funny. Considering samsung alone sells more android smart phones than apple I'd love to know how these numbers add up. You can play with statistics and make them fit whatever outcome you want. Thats obviously what happened here.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Remember these are just sales & we all know most apple consumers upgrade frequently.
So this does not necessarliy mean more users/market share, just sales.
So Apple customers upgrade more frequently? I'd like a source for that statement.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Android has 72% of world marketshare and apple has 14%. I would hardly consider that something to celebrate. Or did everyone miss last week when google officially declared victory over apple.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
These numbers are so fudged its not even funny. Considering samsung alone sells more android smart phones than apple I'd love to know how these numbers add up. You can play with statistics and make them fit whatever outcome you want. Thats obviously what happened here.
What happened here is that these are US numbers and Samsung sells more than Apple worldwide.

You realize the US does not count for the whole world, do you?

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Yes on the secondary market (if you mean second hand market) they are cheaper but most people ask more money than they are worth. Yet I've seen lots of lumias 800 sold cheaply (new in the box for 100~150 eur).

About Microsoft I doubt that people will gain trust soon enough. Nokia has huge problems with unreliability (I don't know about the lumia series), most people avoid nokia like the plague. The windows 8 update fiasco made many people reluctant to buy windows phones.

What window8 update fiasco?

Either way, I just think MS needs some marketing for there phones. Most people that have them tend to love em.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Android has 72% of world marketshare and apple has 14%. I would hardly consider that something to celebrate. Or did everyone miss last week when google officially declared victory over apple.
That's because Android is moving into low-end and mid-end, replacing the good old Nokias. Apple is in the high-end market, I'm certain Android does not have 72% market share in that market.

ryantsai

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2011

Then how do you know the reports which Samsung outsold Apple aren't fudged?

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
They are doomed.
To success.
No matter how disappointing or crazily priced their products are.
A 16GB iPhone 5 is 729€ here in Italy, and I bought a Galaxy Note 2 for 490€ today.
No wonder they are losing share over here.
Wow, talk about grey market opportunity: an unlocked (full price, no contract) iPhone 5 is $649 in the US - at today's rate 492€ exactly the same as your Samsung. Next time, get someone in the US to buy you an iPhone (or get one yourself on your next vacation). You end up with a much better deal, because when you decide to upgrade next, you can then sell your old iPhone for much much more than you would get for an equally old Android phone

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Italy sucks, most consumers are retarded and even don't have internet on their android smartphones. yeah I'm italian too... sadly.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
If I understand correctly... these are quarterly share of sales, not overall market share (number of handsets in use by everyone over time). I wish I was wrong. :p

That's because the share of sales over a period is what market share measures. The number you were wanting is called 'install base'.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Italy sucks, most consumers are retarded and even don't have internet on their android smartphones. yeah I'm italian too... sadly.

It's very sad to judge a country from its smartphone internet consumption. Said from an Italian. ;)

TechieGeek

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
This data is worthless. Why even publish statistics like this? Of course Apple will sell lots of product in the month right after their new phone launch. Of course they will sell more than any other phone right after the iPhone 5 is released.

You can't interpret these numbers as "new high with 53.3% of smartphone market" when all they show is that Apple sold more iPhones than Android phones after the new iPhone was released.

In other news, Thanksgiving turkey has record sales in the week before thanksgiving and holds 50% of pie food sales when compared to cheesecake.

Renzatic

Suspended
People are still shocked at apple prices? What year is it again?

I dunno why prices even come up on the mobile front. While there might be cheaper options out there, Apple's phones and tablets are generally priced about the same as the competition.

...except for the iPad Mini, which I still think could afford to shed $50 or so. My opinion will probably change once they slap a retina display and some beefier hardware into the thing, though.

Banyan Bruce

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
Devon, UK
European poor folk...

These numbers just go to prove that Europe is broke and full of poor folk, who can't afford Apple's rather silly prices for 3 year old technology, that is actually starting to look dated. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.