Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
I've grown quite tired of running out of phone battery at the most inconvenient times. Coming from an iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5 battery has left me frustrated too often. I am not tied to the ecosystem enough to force me to stay iOS, especially since I have a dedicated iPod and iPad.

I know this has been discussed to no end, but I'm curious if there are any lurkers that sold their iPhone 5 for this reason? What did you jump ship to?

EDIT: wanted to reiterate that LTE is always disabled. There is no LTE with AT&T in my region.

Last edited:

FixBrokeni

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
What iOS are you running? If you updated, did you do a DFU Restore? This typically improves the battery life. If you haven't done an update yet, I recommend doing one.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
If you are having battery life issues, you have something wrong. Time to do a full factory restore and set things up fresh again. Battery life for my 5 is excellent, basically the same as my 4 which is to say 5-7+ hours of usage and 2-5 days of standby no problem.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
If you are having battery life issues, you have something wrong. Time to do a full factory restore and set things up fresh again.

^ This

Or schedule an appointment at your local Apple store with a Genius to have them take a look at it. I've had my iPhone 5 for over two months now, and I get very similiar battery life on my i5 as I did on my 4S.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Hey all,

Appreciate the constructive comments. I have done all the usual, and have also held off from upgrading to 6.0.2 due to many reports of worse battery performance.

I don't have specific numbers, but under the exact same usage patterns my iPhone 4 would easily go twice as long before needing a charge. For most people charging daily isn't a big deal, but I feel that perhaps I was expecting to maintain similar habits as I had with the 4.

For the record I did not restore from a backup after upgrading. I only used iCloud to transfer contacts. I keep LTE disabled, bluetooth off, stripped out almost all apps from notification center, have limit ad tracking turned on, have iCloud backups disabled, have setting time zone, traffic, and location based iAds disabled in System Services. Long story short, I run it as minimalist as possible to extend battery life.

It's worth noting that I live in an area of spotty coverage (AT&T). I generally get 2-3 bars at home. However, this was the exact same for the iPhone 4 which faired much better. I use a Microcell at home, but have been told it likely makes no improvement on battery life vs. the poor tower reception; so basically I'm just insuring I don't get gurgled or dropped calls at home.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
My iPhone 5 gets much longer battery life than my 4 or 4s did. I'm loving mine.

I'm convinced that the cell radio used in the 5 just performs much worse under poor reception conditions. It's quite amusing how often I have to recharge compared to my wife's iPhone 4 (which she's had since 2010). I even tried convincing her to take the 5 so I could use her available upgrade for something else, but she wants nothing to do with it. Guess she's heard me complain one too many times. I am of course going to use the upgrade if I decide to switch, but she'd prefer I just sell the iPhone 5.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
What's your brightness set at? I keep mine at about 33%. If you have set at over 50% then battery will drain very quickly. Ive heard that disabling LTE could cause battery problems as well since it will finish a task much faster than 3g.

----------

This.

I am massively impressed with the batterylife of the iPhone 5. It is a lot better than my previous iPhones and a hell of a lot better than my last phone, the Galaxy S3

My wife has to take a charger to work because of her s3.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I have both the S3 and iP5 and it's just the nature of the beast with LTE these days.

I carry around a charger when I decide to use my S3. My iphone 5? It will last me a day

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
My iPhone 5 lasts the longest out of all my friends with various Android devices, iPhones (except those with 5), Windows Phones, BlackBerries, etc. What's more interesting is that I use my phone more frequently than all of them and it still lasts longer.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
The only time my i5 has battery issues is when I'm playing a new game. Else, it lasts at least 1.5 days on regular use. This includes:

Email updates every 15 minutes
LTE and Bluetooth on
WiFi on
Screen brightness at 40%

If your battery isn't lasting a day on regular use, you may want to head to the local Apple store and ask for a new one.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
I have to admit that the new Ravensword game chews up some serious battery life. I totally drained my battery last night because of it.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
My iPhone 5 gets much longer battery life than my 4 or 4s did. I'm loving mine.
Ditto here. I keep finding myself in a quandry about timing. I was used to a certain schedule with my 4, daily charging (I use it a lot). The 5 is often at 40% instead of 25% by midafternoon. So, do I charge now or later? Driving me crazy!!

not really

Marrakas

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2012
I'm really impressed with the battery. 4:20 usage today, where 100% was music, and maybe 30-40min of screen on while surfing, and battery is at 78%

Bluetooth is off, and I manually fetch mail. I guess that helps.

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
I feel that I have excellent battery life.

The ONLY time my battery life sucks is when I use the TuneIn Radio Pro app and I steam a radio station. At 100% I would probably barely make it through 4 hours of continuous streaming. Outside of using that app, my i5 easily last all day and then standby at night. Granted, I don't use it a TON, but I use it enough for what I do and it's great.

drakestan

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2012
I use Pandora almost all day, facebook and twitter as well. I consistently have my phone unplugged for about 12-14 hours and it's never below 30%. I'd say the data usage during the day is half-half between LTE and WiFi. Restore your phone or get it replaced because it's not a fault on every phone.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
On Wifi at my house all day I can easily get 10hrs usage and over a day standby, on 4g/LTE its about half that.

mgarc1125

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
I've had the exact opposite experience with the iPhone 5. The battery life is incredible. I can go almost two days with average use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.