Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itismadhan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Hey guys,

I got an iPad 4 as a Christmas bonus through work and I want to return it. I wanna know if I can get cash from the apple store instead of store credit? I already have an iPad mini, macbook air and apple tv. Don't need anything from the apple store right now. Will they give me a cash refund without the receipt?

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Hey guys,

I got an iPad 4 as a Christmas bonus through work and I want to return it. I wanna know if I can get cash from the apple store instead of store credit? I already have an iPad mini, macbook air and apple tv. Don't need anything from the apple store right now. Will they give me a cash refund without the receipt?

Nope. You will not get cash unless you present the original receipt and within the time frame. If you got the iPad as a bonus, returning for store credit is also questionable as all stores may not do it, if any (I could be wrong about this).

Your best bet is to sell it… craigslist will probably give the most money if you find someone.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I can't imagine the Apple store giving you cash without a receipt. As saberahul mentioned, your best bet is to try and sell it.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
FWIW, when I worked there, if the price was over a certain amount ($250?), even if you paid in cash, you couldn't get a cash refund. You'd get a check mailed back from an accounting office in TX or something.

Ah, looks like that's been upped:

For returns to an Apple Retail Store for cash, cash equivalent, and check transactions over $750, Apple will mail a refund check to you within 10 business days.
http://www.apple.com/legal/sales_policies/retail_us.html

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Hey guys,

No! I paid cash for an iPad 3 and 2 days later found out the iPad 4 was coming to stores. Returned my iPad 3 to Apple Store (as I wanted the iPad 4) and they gave me an Apple Gift Card instead since I was going to purchase the iPad 4 anyway. Told that I could have cash if I preferred, only because I paid cash and had the receipt. I honestly do not think you will have any luck with getting cash back for it especially from the Apple Store.

itismadhan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
No! I paid cash for an iPad 3 and 2 days later found out the iPad 4 was coming to stores. Returned my iPad 3 to Apple Store (as I wanted the iPad 4) and they gave me an Apple Gift Card instead since I was going to purchase the iPad 4 anyway. Told that I could have cash if I preferred, only because I paid cash and had the receipt. I honestly do not think you will have any luck with getting cash back for it especially from the Apple Store.

How long is the apple gift card valid though?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.