Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rezwits

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
If I had a 27" iMac I would... turn it into a 720p Retina Display. With this line

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool YES

I believe it's 2560 x 1600. So if you enable the HiDPI that would be 1280 x 800 x 2 or appr. 720p Retina, Apple 720p

I was just wondering if anyone would enable that and tell me how it is? Been thinking about getting some 27" displays and doing it. Is it too big? not enough real-estate?

You can disable it by:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool NO

Have fun, I know I would. 720p is 1280 x 800 is pretty cool, I have done this on my 1920 x 1200 17" MacBook Pro but it's not enough room.

oh you have to log out and log back in after and goto displays system prefs to pick it
EOL

tredstone

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
This is definitely the first thing I'm doing when I get the 27" model. I'm really surprised more people aren't talking about this. I tried it at the store and it's completely usable. If you've ever used a 13" MBP, it's approximately in that neighborhood (1280x800 vs 1280x720), except sharper. Granted it depends on your workflow, but in cases where I'm not doing research papers with 5 PDF's open and Word, I would def keep it in the pseudo-retina mode.

rezwits

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
Going blind, kinda...

oh, because, it blows everything up x2 but the resolution is not jaggy, because of the OS, finally :p

In the old days you would enable zooming in assistive devices and such...

Laters... have fun and god that's fun :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.