Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Anyone familiar with Prosoft Data Rescue 3? My boot volume structure is corrupted and I need to save lots of stuff. Any other recommendations appreciated.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Any other recommendations appreciated."

Boot from your backup volume and get running that way.

Um... no backup volume?

If you had a BOOTABLE backup clone, you'd be up and running in a couple of minutes, and could "go to work" on your internal volume and get it straight again.

I know this doesn't help right now, but for the future, consider one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ords=usb3+sata+dock&rh=i:aps,k:usb3+sata+dock
(many items shown, they all work the same, just pick one that's cheap).
Then, get a bare SATA drive from the vendor of your choice.
Then, use the free version of CarbonCopyCloner to create your backup (the version you want is 3.4.7, still freely downloadable).

Do this at regular intervals (even once a week), and you'll have an exact copy of your internal drive, and if for some reason your computer won't start, you can boot from the docked drive in a matter of a couple of minutes...

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
"Any other recommendations appreciated."

Boot from your backup volume and get running that way.

Um... no backup volume?

If you had a BOOTABLE backup clone, you'd be up and running in a couple of minutes, and could "go to work" on your internal volume and get it straight again.

I know this doesn't help right now, but for the future, consider one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ords=usb3+sata+dock&rh=i:aps,k:usb3+sata+dock
(many items shown, they all work the same, just pick one that's cheap).
Then, get a bare SATA drive from the vendor of your choice.
Then, use the free version of CarbonCopyCloner to create your backup (the version you want is 3.4.7, still freely downloadable).

Do this at regular intervals (even once a week), and you'll have an exact copy of your internal drive, and if for some reason your computer won't start, you can boot from the docked drive in a matter of a couple of minutes...

Thanks. That's good advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.