Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

poke-150x150.png
When Snapchat launched a video update last week, AllThingsD reported that Facebook was planning on releasing its own photo and video sharing app to compete with Snapchat. Facebook's new standalone app, Facebook Poke, was released today, expanding on Facebook's original "poke" concept.

After connecting to Facebook Poke with a Facebook account, users can take a video or photo, write a message, or send a standard poke notification to friends who are also Facebook users. Each message lasts only a few seconds before expiring, after which time it is no longer visible.

If a screenshot is taken, users are notified with a bright orange icon on the feed, which is the same functionality found in Snapchat. Users can browse through sent messages in Poke by tapping and holding on a message.

facebookpoke.jpg

Media sent via Facebook Poke is not visible in the standard Facebook app, but people will get a Facebook notification to download Facebook Poke to see Poke messages. Like the rest of Facebook's apps, Poke has a menu for reporting inappropriate content.

Facebook Poke is a free download on Apple's App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Facebook Launches its Own Version of Snapchat, Called Poke

bassfingers

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
Facebook is bloated and dying. It's got 18 months left before its replaced by something clean and simple

akislot

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2007
These apps are perfect for politicians or actually anyone in an affair. They can send their junk to their interns and know it won't end up anywhere else... Until Facebook screws up and they end up showing up in the Timeline.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
This will likely be quietly shelved in a few months. I'm sure it's just an experiment by Facebook to see if it takes off; and I doubt they really expect it to be a success. With a name like "Poke"? C'mon! For a second I thought I had pulled up the Onion!

----------

Each message lasts only a few seconds before expiring, after which time it is no longer visible.

They left the last part out: "...but it will be stored on Facebook's servers indefinitely."

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
I'm interested to see how well this Facebook Poke application stacks up against SnapChat -- both interesting ideas, but I wonder how practical it'll actually be.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Btw, I tried it, but I have an issue where not all my Facebook friends are visible in this app. What gives?

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
If I can't save the videos, pics and whatever else you can send via that app to my device, then don't even bother sending me anything. ;)

I'm a log-addict. If it's unlogged, I won't use it.
My only exception is Steam's chat, just for conversing which game to play together though, so yeah...

Glassed Silver:mac

psxndc

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
I've just tried this app between my phone and my wife's phone. It's mad! Why does it exist?

Literally, for sexting. Any racy photos you take and send are viewable for a short time and then gone. Snapchat has a feature that notifies you if the person takes a screenshot too I think. Seriously, I can't think of any other application.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'd like Facebook to stick around, but I'm worried nonsense like this might end up killing it.

I love Facebook for keeping in touch with my family (I live away and we all have hectic lives, emails are good but a "forum" atmosphere like Facebook is great), and old buddies from school. Never touched an app on Facebook - never will.
I guess I have magic powers for being able to see the benefits in it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.