Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sucramdi

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2011
Quebec
Does anyone know what font is used in this Apple poster? I don't think its one of the usual ones

Attachments

• 1979-apple-think-poster-vintage-rare-as-seen-in-steve-jobs-cube_261104882324.jpg
    1979-apple-think-poster-vintage-rare-as-seen-in-steve-jobs-cube_261104882324.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 310

samrusk

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
new jersey

bodzasfanta

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2009
Can anyone help me?

I got an old 80's tourist book from Hungary and the used font is really weird.
It looks like a mixture of Erato and American Garamond

Here is a sample from a page.

Note the number 4 which is below the baseline as in the Erato.
But also note the lowercase y and r which are not like in the Erato, but the same as in American Garamond.
So what is it? For me it looks like a mixture of both.
Also, the Erato font was released in 2011 so it can't be.
(And they haven't used a different font for page numbers. Where numbers are in the text, the font is the same)

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
..any particular reason why?

Yes! Should have mentioned... I'm using it for a logo for my personal company. Unfortunately the company doesn't make any money, but it's mine, all mine!!! ;)

Really, I'll probably use it more for social media and the like. The logo is mostly done, just a few tweaks to work out. It's based on my last name and a manipulation of one of the fonts letters.

beowulf70

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2010
London
Yes! Should have mentioned... I'm using it for a logo for my personal company. Unfortunately the company doesn't make any money, but it's mine, all mine!!! ;)

Really, I'll probably use it more for social media and the like. The logo is mostly done, just a few tweaks to work out. It's based on my last name and a manipulation of one of the fonts letters.

OK, cool. I'll look forward to seeing your final logo then. ;)
As far as anyone else using this font is concerned, I'd imagine there isn't much usage out there than the odd possible German newspaper masthead. (I've checked and can't find any)

Have you fully considered legibility of your logo in an online environment?

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
OK, cool. I'll look forward to seeing your final logo then. ;)
As far as anyone else using this font is concerned, I'd imagine there isn't much usage out there than the odd possible German newspaper masthead. (I've checked and can't find any)

Have you fully considered legibility of your logo in an online environment?

Take a look and tell me what you think. Not the final, but close. The logo is actually the first letter duplicated in a square. I call it a box 4K.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vu9j4krcvb4ybsg/Deutsche Zierschrift.pdf

beowulf70

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2010
London
Can anyone help me?

I got an old 80's tourist book from Hungary and the used font is really weird.
It looks like a mixture of Erato and American Garamond

Here is a sample from a page.

Note the number 4 which is below the baseline as in the Erato.
But also note the lowercase y and r which are not like in the Erato, but the same as in American Garamond.
So what is it? For me it looks like a mixture of both.
Also, the Erato font was released in 2011 so it can't be.
(And they haven't used a different font for page numbers. Where numbers are in the text, the font is the same)

Unfortunately the bowl of the capital "P" in American Garamond is closed, whereas your example is not.

The closest I can find is Monotype Garamond Roman. This is close, but no cigar...
http://www.fontshop.com/fonts/singles/monotype/monotype_garamond_roman/

But even that does not have oldstyle or expert numerals. It is of course entirely possible that the folios were set in a different font. :rolleyes:

Have you checked the colophon at the front of the book to see if the fonts in question are listed? :rolleyes:

I'm pretty certain it's a member of the Garamond Family. (Is it not Erato).
Check the uppercase "P" and "K" (leg length), and the lowercase "a" and "g" (link length and ear position) for identification... good luck ;)

----------

Take a look and tell me what you think. Not the final, but close. The logo is actually the first letter duplicated in a square. I call it a box 4K.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vu9j4krcvb4ybsg/Deutsche Zierschrift.pdf

I must admit I'm pleasantly surprised. :) I like it.
Nice work.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
I've been after The Economist font for a long time. I actually e-mailed them once, asking where it could be purchased however they weren't very accommodating. Can anyone suggest some free alternatives as close to the font as possible?

bluetooth

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2007
Toronto
Anyone know what font this is?

Hey, do any of the font experts in here know what font this might be that is being used after each logo?

vfi1k.png

Thanks a lot!!!

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
Hi Guys, trust you type gurus to help me identify these... I'm doing some work for a guy who had his logo commissioned, but they didn't tell him the name of the fonts...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-16 at 20.05.19.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-16 at 20.05.19.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 377

beowulf70

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2010
London
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.