Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Could you be any more wrong?

Try using the latest Android builds for more than 5 minutes, and on a device that isnt a $100 POS.

Fragmentation has been solved pretty damn well with Android 4.

You're wrong... I know you're wrong because I read some other post on here one day that said you were and I don't do my own research so you have to be wrong :rolleyes:

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
The more competition the better products for us consumers whether we choose Android, iOS, Windows phones or whatever. Competition challenges companies to come out with better and better products.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Hey, and while you're at it, how about an OS that works and isn't a POS? That'd be great. Since I've owned my iPhone I have not had the urge to throw it against a wall once, I have not had to apologize to people for losing a call or poor quality or reception, I have not had to restart it or wait for an app to load. So while you're making all those great things to compete with it, try making an OS that works as well as iOS. Yea, good luck with that.

You're not talking about Android, do you?

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
I wish Google, and others, would focus on their strengths rather than trying to take over the world, which is one of their weaknesses. Google does really, really well with search. Their maps are great. Android and their hardware is awful.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
The more competition the better products for us consumers whether we choose Android, iOS, Windows phones or whatever. Competition challenges companies to come out with better and better products.

Yup - this isnt said enough, and even die-hard fanboys cant deny it.

More competition forces people to get creative. If they dont, they die.

It would be a great thing if we had popular phones from Apple, Google, Samsung, Microsoft...heck throw in RIM (if they survive), Nokia, etc.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I wish Google, and others, would focus on their strengths rather than trying to take over the world, which is one of their weaknesses. Google does really, really well with search. Their maps are great. Android and their hardware is awful.

Google hasn't made any hardware (phones). So which hardware are you referring to?

And how much have you used Android to assess it's awful. What is awful about it and which version(s) have you used?

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Seems a strong Google phone would take more Samsung sales away than it would iPhone sales????

More strong players on the Android side just dilute the Android side (and draw more users away from RIM or MS)... Apple just needs to make sure they stay competitive to keep a very healthy share.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
If Google makes some kind of Android super-phone, they will run into the same problem Microsoft has -- Android vendor blowback. Competing with Android licensees directly is a shortsighted -- or some might say desperate -- move. This will end badly for the Android ecosystem, unless Google no longer cares about that ecosystem and wants the battle to just be Google phone vs Apple phone. Companies like HTC certainly can't compete against Google's deep pockets.

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
So much bitterness.

I am an iPhone guy. But I look forward to seeing what Google produces. I guarantee it will be the best looking phone Motorola has ever produced, which might not be saying much.

Haven't used android in a very long time, but Android 4 on a google designed phone might be pretty nice.

Don't you realize that everyone benefits from competition!?

Red Oak

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
Google's Bitch

So how does Samsung feel now. Google has used them, and is about to put them out to pasture. Sucks doesn't it when you don't own your own operating system

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
So how does Samsung feel now. Google has used them, and is about to put them out to pasture. Sucks doesn't it when you don't own your own operating system

Google's used them? How do you figure? Because Samsung is the leader of Android phones and now Google is really entering that market? Explain how that's Google having used Samsung. Google sent their OS out and any company has been (relatively) free to do whatever they wanted with it.

DavidTheExpert

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2012
What Google doesn't seem to realize is that it doesn't matter how cool the phone looks, or how amazing the specs are. It's the software that runs on it. If I could get an Android phone that was 100% exactly like an iPhone 5, except that it ran Android, I would still choose an iPhone because the iOS software is just so much more pleasant to use. I can't stand the Android software. It's terrible, it crashes, it's buggy, it's unreliable, it's sluggish, it's insecure.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Seems a strong Google phone would take more Samsung sales away than it would iPhone sales????

More strong players on the Android side just dilute the Android side (and draw more users away from RIM or MS)... Apple just needs to make sure they stay competitive to keep a very healthy share.

Given that Samsung are currently taking iPhone sales away, it would still have a significant impact on Apple.

A lot of people use Google services. If they can grab a Google phone, with maps, mail, youtube, etc all hooked in correctly, it's actually a pretty big deal. I know this is already possible with every single Android device, but you can guarantee the Google branded one will be getting some extras that no competitor can have.

Google have actually been pretty sneeky here. They have spent the last few years, building up what you would think is a pretty crap ecosystem, with a failing social network, a low-usage music service, etc.

Think about it this way though. The Google ecosystem is now complete, and it supports a hell of a lot more than Apple's, at no cost to the user.

- Google Drive is the iCloud, but with a lot more features, more storage for free, and more reliable (dont forget that whilst 'Drive' has a 5GB free storage limit, this doesnt count towards your photo, or email limit)

- Gmail is a much more established iMail, with a lot more space and better reliability

- Google Chat (iMessage & Facetime)

- Google Music (iTunes in the cloud, free 20k song storage)

- Google Play Store (iTunes Store, with Apps, Music, Movies, Tv, Books, etc)

- Google Calendar

- Picasa

- Google+

etc

The ecosystem they have built certainly was all over the place for a while, but it's pretty well contained now, and has the potential to be a hell of a lot stronger than Apple's. Google do online services 100x better than Apple, that much is enough for a lot of people.

Red Oak

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
Google's used them? How do you figure? Because Samsung is the leader of Android phones and now Google is really entering that market? Explain how that's Google having used Samsung. Google sent their OS out and any company has been (relatively) free to do whatever they wanted with it.

Google does not care about hardware revenues or their OEMs. They want to earn money off their services (e.g. search advertising). The want massive scale. That is why the released the LG-built Nexus at $299 without contract. They are sucking ANY potential profits out of the Android hardware market. Both smartphones and tablets

That is why, Samsung, has been duped. That is why they are Google's bitch. They don't even realize how Google is marginalizing them

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
What Google doesn't seem to realize is that it doesn't matter how cool the phone looks, or how amazing the specs are. It's the software that runs on it. If I could get an Android phone that was 100% exactly like an iPhone 5, except that it ran Android, I would still choose an iPhone because the iOS software is just so much more pleasant to use. I can't stand the Android software. It's terrible, it crashes, it's buggy, it's unreliable, it's sluggish, it's insecure.

I'm not going to ask which version of Android you've used and for how long as I know I'll likely not get the truth back.

All I will say is you've clearly either not used it in the last year, or have used it on an unofficial imported crap phone.

theOtherGeoff

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
If Google makes some kind of Android super-phone, they will run into the same problem Microsoft has -- Android vendor blowback. Competing with Android licensees directly is a shortsighted -- or some might say desperate -- move. This will end badly for the Android ecosystem, unless Google no longer cares about that ecosystem and wants the battle to just be Google phone vs Apple phone. Companies like HTC certainly can't compete against Google's deep pockets.

and your point is?

Google could care less about vendors. they absolutely want eyeballs hitting the google services on the back end. As Microsoft and Nokia (slowly) come to the game, and Apple effectively defining what the 'ecosystem' should be, google needs a reference platform that is
a) 20% better than the current apple product and 20% cheaper
b) not an OEM who partners with a carrier (further diluting the ecosystem/experience) and
c) something that actually brings value from the MotoMob purchase (given that those patents weren't worth the billions spent).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.