Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thalazy

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2012
In a van down by the river.
Interseting

Love to see what they come up with. I just purchased my first Android phone after being fed up with the stale os that iOS provides and the small "huge" 4" screen that was suppose to impress me and others. I bought a Galaxy Note 2 and love it. It's fast and responsive and the Samsung touch wiz offers gestures make the phone much more impressive than the standard phone. 4.1 so far in the almost 2 weeks since I have bough it has been fast, stable and bug free. The only way I would go back to iOS if if Apple released a phablet of their own. I am tempted to sell my iPad but will keep it for iOS exclusives like Infinity Blade Dungeons. Apple needs to reinvent it's OS for phones as people are going to get tired of the same old OS.

PlutoPrime

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2009
This ****'s about to get interesting.

Given Android is very much on a stable, non-fragmented heading now (the latest Android builds have come on leaps and bounds), this could actually be a heck of a lot more successful than the previous attempts.

Apple needs to up their game - Android is now the better OS, undeniably with the likes of the S3 and Note.

It's only a recent change however, but certainly a worrying one for Apple.

No. Android is NOT the better OS. It baffles me how the fandroid army is parroting the message of the techno geek Gods without an ounce of proof.

I was forced to use a Google Nexus phone running Jelly Bean for 4 weeks a month ago. Everything was a terrible experience in the software. The simplest things that I had been accustomed to my iPHone doing competently like messaging, email, browsing, tapping links accurately in a browser, zooming, etc were Awful on the Android phone. No OS experience is as solid, user-friendly, and frustration-free as iOS based devices. The spread of this "Myth" that Android is somehow this magical advanced OS now needs to stop. When it comes to actual usage of the OS, it's still a steaming pile of chaos (to put it politely).

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Shocking. Pretty sure I noted this signed android eol when the se was announced. Sure a couple forks will survive, like amazon, but Samsung is in the worst position by far, right now.

Even if google pays lip service to continued a droid development it is no longer going to remain a viable competitive platform on its own.

A google and apple shared world is better for both of them then a google/apple and Samsung world.

I suspect a crazy man response from Samsung in the next eighteen months.

I know you think you can predict the future and that you're an expert in everything. Really. I (and others who read your posts) get it. I think you're wrong.

Yes, that is what I'm saying. The only Android tablets that are selling in any volume are the 7" Nexus and Amazon Fire. Both which are selling at cost.

In that world, Samsung and other manufacturers, stand little chance of making any money

Android is going to become a zero profit wasteland

Even if that were true on the tablet market - are you suggesting the same would go for the phone market? Because I can understand limitations on providing a variety of tablets. But people have lots of different desires when it comes to phones (size, shape, specs, etc)

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
They are definitely worried about the WIN8 Phone now. I'm no Redmond fan, but WIN8 Mobile on the Nokia 920 is a far more useful device than an SIII running Hot Fudge Brownie.

Android is no more stable now than 12 months ago.

Google and Apple had better be concerned of a Galaxy IV running Win8 Mobile.:apple:

Shocking. Pretty sure I noted this signed android eol when the se was announced. Sure a couple forks will survive, like amazon, but Samsung is in the worst position by far, right now.

Even if google pays lip service to continued a droid development it is no longer going to remain a viable competitive platform on its own.

A google and apple shared world is better for both of them then a google/apple and Samsung world.

I suspect a crazy man response from Samsung in the next eighteen months.

You must be paid by Apple competitors

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Anyone else getting bored of a world that resolves around smartphones?

I am bored with them and I never owned one. Live your life people. Don't live your life through you phone. Before you know it life will have passed you by while you lived your life looking at a smart phone.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
No. Android is NOT the better OS. It baffles me how the fandroid army is parroting the message of the techno geek Gods without an ounce of proof.

I was forced to use a Google Nexus phone running Jelly Bean for 4 weeks a month ago. Everything was a terrible experience in the software. The simplest things that I had been accustomed to my iPHone doing competently like messaging, email, browsing, tapping links accurately in a browser, zooming, etc were Awful on the Android phone. No OS experience is as solid, user-friendly, and frustration-free as iOS based devices. The spread of this "Myth" that Android is somehow this magical advanced OS now needs to stop. When it comes to actual usage of the OS, it's still a steaming pile of chaos (to put it politely).

Eh I think that's more a question of personal preference and/or the fact you were so used to/accustomed to how iOS works that any change in that annoyed you.

Again - both OSes have strengths and weaknesses. Both OSes are great. Both OSes have room for improvement.

Red Oak

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
Love to see what they come up with. I just purchased my first Android phone after being fed up with the stale os that iOS provides and the small "huge" 4" screen that was suppose to impress me and others. I bought a Galaxy Note 2 and love it. It's fast and responsive and the Samsung touch wiz offers gestures make the phone much more impressive than the standard phone. 4.1 so far in the almost 2 weeks since I have bough it has been fast, stable and bug free. The only way I would go back to iOS if if Apple released a phablet of their own. I am tempted to sell my iPad but will keep it for iOS exclusives like Infinity Blade Dungeons. Apple needs to reinvent it's OS for phones as people are going to get tired of the same old OS.

I laugh every time when I see someone with a Note put that brick up to their head to take a call. It's like we've gone back in time to people using the original Motorola brick. WTF

The Bulge

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Up your ass.

Indeed.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
This ****'s about to get interesting.

Given Android is very much on a stable, non-fragmented heading now (the latest Android builds have come on leaps and bounds), this could actually be a heck of a lot more successful than the previous attempts.

Apple needs to up their game - Android is now the better OS, undeniably with the likes of the S3 and Note.

It's only a recent change however, but certainly a worrying one for Apple.

Why is it better again? More malware? More stuttering and dropped frames? More complicated and harder to do things? Being able to customize a home screen, which I NEVER look at, does not make an OS better.

iOS destroys Android in every way.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
If Google ends up selling the hardware then good lord - They never learned from their mistake and usually have like what - 5 devices in stock after making a big deal for months prior release :)

Can't wait one way or another.

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Clearly you've not used Android 4.

Whilst Android 1, 2 and 3 (to a lesser degree) had a lot of issues (which were mostly down to UI inconsistencies and incompatibilities caused by crap hardware), 4 is a heck of a lot better. The S3 is a very, VERY popular phone, and actually performs a fair bit better than the iPhone 5.

When I see "Whilst" in a forum post, that's a predictably accurate indicator that the rest of the post is going to be crap. +1 to this theory

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I laugh every time when I see someone with a Note put that brick up to their head to take a call. It's like we've gone back in time to people using the original Motorola brick. WTF

Yes. People have said this silly comment since Android started using 4" screens compared to the "perfect sized" Apple which was 3.5. You make me laugh at least.

iOS destroys Android in every way.

Every way? Oh do tell!

The Bulge

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Up your ass.

I actually had the "pleasure" to see this one in action. I was going home and train lost a wheel. Some guy then started calling someone with what appeared to be galaxy note. That was beyond funny.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
When I see "Whilst" in a forum post, that's a predictably accurate indicator that the rest of the post is going to be crap. +1 to this theory

When I see people comment on a word choice instead of the actual content of the post, I know the person posting isn't worth reading in the future. +1 to this theory.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
As for being insecure - I've never had an issue nor has anyone I have personally known.
You should just do a GOOGLE search for android malware and read the three pages of articles just from December documenting how criminals are using it to steal millions and even their new scanner doesn't work. Hackers gain access directly through Google play. You friend may not even realize they have be compromised. And unless they are a geek who lives in the forums they wouldn't know which programs a bad.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
I fully realize I'm posting in a cyclone of iOS fanbois, but I have to say, Android has come a LONG way since 4.0. Jellybean is just fantastic.

I had a Nexus 4, but sold it because my Note 2 is just stellar. I hate my work 4S and use it for just that, work stuff. It's boring and stale. The fun side of everything (and productivity, frankly) is given to my Note 2. It just does everything SO well and is a pleasure to use.

Not starting a flame war here, but if you are stuck thinking Android = 2.3 Gingerbread, I'd highly recommend trying out a modern Android phone before knee-jerking and saying Android is a laggy, unstable mess. It simply isn't true anymore. iOS is extremely boring after using Jellybean.

Apple has genuine cause for concern, IMO. Android is IMO far superior than iOS, and it's getting better all the time. I will buy the Moto/Google phone the day it's released. So yeah, I've deserted iOS and do not miss it one single bit. I stood in line for the OG 8gig EDGE iPhone. Got every version since...then I found Android. It's over as far as I'm concerned. Android has come such a long way in a short period of time.

Back to trashing Android everyone. Sorry to disrupt the blind worshiping. ;)

Last edited:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
You should just do a GOOGLE search for android malware and read the three pages of articles just from December documenting how criminals are using it to steal millions and even their new scanner doesn't work. Hackers gain access directly through Google play. You friend may not even realize they have be compromised. And unless they are a geek who lives in the forums they wouldn't know which programs a bad.

Reread my post. I have never nor has anyone I have known had an issue with Android and security. I know that might be hard to digest. But it's a fact.

My friends are pretty smart. A lot of them are also building backend systems for banks, insurance companies, etc - so they know a little about code - malicious or not. You really shouldn't try to make assumptions just to try and prove your point. Again - I know it must be hard to fathom - but there are several people never affected by Android's security. Just like there are many people who have never had an issue with their iPhone.

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
1. Good. Samsung's knockoffs are shameless. Google is a good, respectable company, though less respectable than Apple.

2. Please, don't call it the "X Phone". "X" is overused. "Google Phone" or maybe even "gPhone" is a good name.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Mommy said to don't feed the trolls, because they bite.

The notion of "troll" is overused. As is "fan boy" or its derivatives. To the point where they are meaningless since they only seem to describe people who have a different opinion that the person name calling

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.