Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vinchino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
i have a JB 3gs ios4.1 and want to upgrade it to 4.3.3 so i can jailbreak it.
when click alt+update and choose the 4.3.3 ipsw file, it state that this device is not eligible for udpate.

how can i update to 4.3.3? i don't want to update to the current ios 4.3.5

Dhelsdon

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2010
Canadian Eh!
I am also trying to do this with my iP4

I tried the follow but keep getting various errors:

1.Edit hosts to point at cydia
2.Put iPhone in DFU
3.Shift+Restore
Error 1013

1.Revert hosts to original
2.Use Tiny Umbrella to edit hosts
3.Shift+Restore
Error ####

There are many different combination I tried last night, but I don't feel like listing them all. Please if anyone could help us!!:(

Edit: I have my SHSH blobs saved in cydia too.

nawras94

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2011
iv did this a on family iphone around the house
it needs forcing
1.download latest tinyumbrela
2.save shsh
3. you should see 4.3.3 and a few others
4.get the 4.3.3 ipsw
5. and click start tts server
and now open itunes and hold shift and click restore and choose 4.3.3 (wherever you saved it)
and it should restore
it might not work the first time
put it in dfu and try again
if you get 10xx something open tinyumbreala and exit recovery or try holding home + power until you see apple screen
trust me it works speaking from exp
send me a message if you need anything

vinchino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
very nice, can i also restore it using a custom firmware i made from pwnagetool4.3.3 instead of the normal stock firmware4.3.3?

khkman22

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2009
it needs forcing
2.save shsh
4.get the 4.3.3 ipsw
and now open itunes and hold shift and click restore and choose 4.3.3 (wherever you saved it)
and it should restore
if you get 10xx something open tinyumbreala and exit recovery or try holding home + power until you see apple screen
What do you mean in #3? We should see the 4.3.3 what?

I tried doing this last night and here is my scenario.

Have a 3GS and iPhone 4 that are both on 4.3.3. I updated the 4 after the 3GS. Yesterday I just received another 3GS that is on 4.1.

I downloaded TU and tried to save SHSH, but I'm not sure if I know what I'm doing and how to go about that whole process. I still have the 4.3.3 ipsw and I started the tts server. I was able to get past the errors in iTunes and it said the phone was preparing for restore, but it never got past that. It stayed that way for about 3-5 minutes so I just stopped the process.

Is there something wrong with my SHSH file(s) because of upgrading the iPhone 4 after I upgraded my original 3GS?

nawras94

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2011

Have a 3GS and iPhone 4 that are both on 4.3.3. I updated the 4 after the 3GS. Yesterday I just received another 3GS that is on 4.1.

I downloaded TU and tried to save SHSH, but I'm not sure if I know what I'm doing and how to go about that whole process. I still have the 4.3.3 ipsw and I started the tts server. I was able to get past the errors in iTunes and it said the phone was preparing for restore, but it never got past that. It stayed that way for about 3-5 minutes so I just stopped the process.

Is there something wrong with my SHSH file(s) because of upgrading the iPhone 4 after I upgraded my original 3GS?

what im saying you should see in the tu box 4.3.3 and others
and did you click on connected iphone

vinchino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011

try this youtube video, it helped me the basics what i need to know
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzBMMpS-amg&feature=channel_video_title

khkman22

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2009
I can't do anything until I get home from work, but will I have to connect my 3GS that is on 4.3.3 and save its SHSH first and then connect the 3GS that is on 4.1? I tried saving the SHSH last night, but I didn't notice if any saved. Also, I haven't jailbroken my 4.3.3 phone yet, so will the SHSH blob still be accessible to save or will it need to be jailbroken first to retrieve it?

Dhelsdon

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2010
Canadian Eh!
You can't use the same blobs for multiple phones, if you saved them through cydia I am pretty sure you can still downgrade to an older firmware. That's kinda where I am stuck, can't get out of recovery loop and I've tried following countless methods posted online to no avail. Debating on going to 4.3.5 then try to downgrade after but I want to make sure I can still downgrade. I only saved my blobs on Cydia, not with tiny umbrella. Cydia showed my blobs for 4.2.1, 4.3.3 4.3.5 so I think I'll be okay.

Dhelsdon

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2010
Canadian Eh!
I was able to downgrade to 4.3.3 but now after all is said and done, I am stuck in DFU mode. I tried using Tiny Umbrella to fix recovery and I used TU's fixrecovery (standalone) and both of those went through the process but it was still in DFU mode upon completion. Any help is appreciated!

vinchino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
I was able to downgrade to 4.3.3 but now after all is said and done, I am stuck in DFU mode. I tried using Tiny Umbrella to fix recovery and I used TU's fixrecovery (standalone) and both of those went through the process but it was still in DFU mode upon completion. Any help is appreciated!

if it's in DFU mode, hold the power button(corner) and the home button simultaneously, hold it until you see the apple icon, takes about 15 seconds

vinchino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
it needs forcing
2.save shsh
4.get the 4.3.3 ipsw
and it should restore

thanx nawras, it totally worked, now i have ios 4.3.3 on 3gs, JB with redsnow

Dhelsdon

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2010
Canadian Eh!
I am pretty sure I sat there holding both to reboot for about a minute last night, I'll give it another go when I am home.

polzii

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
This is not a solution, just a suggestion. I upgraded to 4.3.3 from 4.1 (on one of my phones) and there are many issues with jailbroken 4.3.3 :(. I notice extra battery drain, its not serious but its much more than 4.1 (15% drain on 4.3.3 overnight vs 2-3% on 4.1). Also the perennial single bar on carrier reception. A lot of themeing issues too. Im seriously considering going down to 4.2.1 since I have my SHSH blobs saved.

BTW, any threads on 4.2.1 vs 4.3.3 (comparison) ?

vizeffects

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2012
Ipod touch 4G 4.1 to 5.1.1

I'm upgrading Itouch 4G 4.1 to 5.1.1

Opened up Pwnage 5.1.1 and created a custom 5.1.1 IPSW (using apple 5.1.1 ipsw you get from http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/) .

I put Ipod in DFU mode (not restore mode). I opened Itunes and got this 1600 error over and over like 20 times. I also got not eligible for requested build. I got 11, 1600 and 1604 error notices.

I also added this to my host file.

#74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
#127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com

btw, those are the only 2 entries that call to apple.

I opened Tiny Umbrella, Had my itouch 4g in DFU mode and pressed "Start TSS Server"

I kept Tiny Umbrella still open. and itouch still in DFU mode. I opened Itunes. It gave me a "this device is in recovery mode and needs to be restored (just ignore that)

I hit ALT and Restore and select custom IPSW that I made through pwnage.

I kept getting "1600 error" notices, but I just closed Itunes and re opened it ... did it 25 TIMES!!!! Remember to keep Tiny Umbrella TSS server running. It will finally go through ...

I hope this helps and saves someone from like 3 days of reading and trying....

Good luck

Last edited:

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
i think they would have solved this after a year and a half….

besides that TSS does not work on 5+ restores.

you need to restore through redsn0w

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.