Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
Goorola.

Whats the betting it has a crap name though? I hope they drop the 'Nexus' name - it's a bit...well...crap. It's the sort of Xbox name you'd expect a 14 year old kid to use.

As long as its not something like "Motorola Google SMX0395" or some stupid codename type phone.

Edit: I'm betting it'll be called the Google Nexus X, followed by the Nexus X II and X II

Yeah, "Nexus"? What does that even mean? Here's the definition: "a connection or series of connections linking two or more things". Not only does this not make sense, but like you said, it's a name you'd see from a 14-year-old CoD fanatic. Actually, it would be "XxXNexusXxX_74365283746".

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
You should just do a GOOGLE search for android malware and read the three pages of articles just from December documenting how criminals are using it to steal millions and even their new scanner doesn't work. Hackers gain access directly through Google play. You friend may not even realize they have be compromised. And unless they are a geek who lives in the forums they wouldn't know which programs a bad.

Reading reviews and sticking to well known software will keep you safe. With freedom comes responsibility. It isn't for everyone, sure but don't talk as if it's only a disadvantage.

What did people do before the walled garden?

JoshuaTurner

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
Actually I think Android is moving in the opposite direction with a lot less fragmentation. And fragmentation barely (if ever) affects most customers. The big/most popular apps will always make themselves compatible (being more of an issue for developers) and many "regular joes" don't even care about which version of the OS they are running as long as their phone works the way they want to.

I am not sure if you are a developer but in any case; if the developer does not know the specs of the hardware the app is going to run on, it makes the job a lot harder.

For example; If you are developing for iOS you know that many users will be on the latest OS (iOS 6.x), and the screen size will either be for mobiles 3.5 or 4 inches and for tablets 7.9 or 9.7 inches (I have actually noticed that Android, even though it tries it's best, the scaling of the UI has blemishes that are noticeable from device to device). And if you are developing for Android you have no idea what the user will be running (possibly that latest? you just wont know), and even worse you don't know the hardware; you could have a device which is has 6 inch screen with 2GBs of RAM ... which will run an app smoothly, but then you could have a device with a 4 inch screen and 500MBs of RAM .... which will just not have enough storage/processing power for what you need and will just crash. (Bad example, but you get where I am coming from)

I found this not too long ago - it's from a company called Sky about Sky Go not supporting a lot of Android devices; "We have two equally resourced teams that work on app development for Sky Go, one for Apple development and one for Android. However, due to the nature of the Android platform -- in terms of both the variety of operating systems and the sheer number of devices -- the reality is that developing for Android throws up a number of additional challenges when compared to working on iOS devices."

Android will always be fragmented, but there are ways to limit the fragmentation. If Google makes a sets a minimum on the specs required for hardware (e.g. 800MBs RAM, 800MHz CPU ...) then the OS would be "less" fragmented, but until that happens .... it will keep making developers lives a nightmare with the variety of devices.

I have nothing against Android, it's good that iOS has competition, and you can run it on many many devices, but there are still downsides to both iOS and Android.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
I keep reading that iOS is boring, stale - so what exactly is wrong with it then?

It would be nice to have actual facts rather than just the usual generic statements.

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
I laugh every time when I see someone with a Note put that brick up to their head to take a call. It's like we've gone back in time to people using the original Motorola brick. WTF

I saw one of those IRL for the first time today. O_O
What IS that thing?? By the way, a kids' show called iCarly (clearly made by Apple fans) had a Sansung Gemini Pad or something like that in it (a spoof of the Note), and they kept making fun of how huge it was.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
For me.....

the old Motorola have a lot of experience designing phones. Depends in each one to judge them as good or bad phones. Google have now a good understanding of sofware. Both in a same project maybe can create a decent product. But rumored or real supply constraints/problems can derail any train hoping to get a slice of the pie of Apple or Samsung. The thing is, if the new Mobility unit can produce a phone with a good set of features, competitive in price and in good quantities, for me, they have a shot.....

:):apple:

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
I keep reading that iOS is boring, stale - so what exactly is wrong with it then?

It would be nice to have actual facts rather than just the usual generic statements.

How are you supposed to objectively evaluate an OS? If you did that, Android would be the best by far. But it's really a clunky, cheesy mess.

----------

Reading reviews and sticking to well known software will keep you safe. With freedom comes responsibility. It isn't for everyone, sure but don't talk as if it's only a disadvantage.

What did people do before the walled garden?

They got viruses and other malware. The VAIO running Win98 I inherited was trashed. But for anyone tech-savvy, it should be easy to avoid malware on Android. It's not like Windows where you can just randomly get a virus from some website or email and be doomed unless you run antivirus constantly.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Didn't Google already do this? I was called Nexus, and it was a huge failure!

Which Nexus are you referring to ? The Nexus One by HTC ? The Nexus S or Galaxy Nexus by Samsung ? The Nexus 4 by LG ? Because none of those was a huge failure, so I don't really understand what you're implying.

Are you talking about Google's initiative for a webstore to buy the HTC Nexus One directly from them unsubsidized ? That was only one way to get the phone, carriers also sold it subsidized and HTC even made a non-Nexus branded model with the same hardware, the HTC Desire. The phone itself was quite the success, Google's webstore though only managed to push around 300k units unsubsidized and they stopped for a while.

Now they are back selling phones and other hardware through Google Play.

Of course, it helps to have actually followed this stuff when commenting, otherwise, you kind of look like a Google basher/hater.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
But my point is - that Samsung (at least) and a few others aren't designing dozens of phones anymore. They are moving in the direction of a few phones per year. So that's why I say that we don't really know what the future will bring. But you can't base that future on the past either. And right now - while screen sizes only vary (2) for the iPhone - there are APIs and hardware differences in various phones (and even CPU chips) which can cause similar issues when designing for the iPhone right now. Is it as problematic. Probably not. But it's not a non-issue either.

I am not sure if you are a developer but in any case; if the developer does not know the specs of the hardware the app is going to run on, it makes the job a lot harder.

For example; If you are developing for iOS you know that many users will be on the latest OS (iOS 6.x), and the screen size will either be for mobiles 3.5 or 4 inches and for tablets 7.9 or 9.7 inches (I have actually noticed that Android, even though it tries it's best, the scaling of the UI has blemishes that are noticeable from device to device). And if you are developing for Android you have no idea what the user will be running (possibly that latest? you just wont know), and even worse you don't know the hardware; you could have a device which is has 6 inch screen with 2GBs of RAM ... which will run an app smoothly, but then you could have a device with a 4 inch screen and 500MBs of RAM .... which will just not have enough storage/processing power for what you need and will just crash. (Bad example, but you get where I am coming from)

I found this not too long ago - it's from a company called Sky about Sky Go not supporting a lot of Android devices; "We have two equally resourced teams that work on app development for Sky Go, one for Apple development and one for Android. However, due to the nature of the Android platform -- in terms of both the variety of operating systems and the sheer number of devices -- the reality is that developing for Android throws up a number of additional challenges when compared to working on iOS devices."

Android will always be fragmented, but there are ways to limit the fragmentation. If Google makes a sets a minimum on the specs required for hardware (e.g. 800MBs RAM, 800MHz CPU ...) then the OS would be "less" fragmented, but until that happens .... it will keep making developers lives a nightmare with the variety of devices.

I have nothing against Android, it's good that iOS has competition, and you can run it on many many devices, but there are still downsides to both iOS and Android.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Yes. People have said this silly comment since Android started using 4" screens compared to the "perfect sized" Apple which was 3.5. You make me laugh at least.
It really does look silly. It's like talking into a portable flat screen monitor. When I was buying a case for my iPhone 5 at Verizon a guy was on one, I had to look away to keep from laughing out loud.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
This ****'s about to get interesting.

Given Android is very much on a stable, non-fragmented heading now (the latest Android builds have come on leaps and bounds), this could actually be a heck of a lot more successful than the previous attempts.

Apple needs to up their game - Android is now the better OS, undeniably with the likes of the S3 and Note.

It's only a recent change however, but certainly a worrying one for Apple.

Uh, no, I can go into a myriad of reasons why Android is not the better OS, from efficiency (or lack thereof) to the UI to the lack of basic services for things like audio. But it's usually more convincing when I tell people who I work for (a major Android/Windows OEM) and that I and many of my colleagues pay out of our own pockets to use Apple products even though we have free access to the latest Android gear.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Subjective reasons that might cause someone to prefer one over the other. I think it's about on par these days myself. Some things Android does better, others iOS.

Yah, no doubt it's subjective. I'm only asking him to back up his blanket statement with some actual reasons for his statement. :)

Bantz

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012

No lol the Nexus 4 has been a massive success and they cant keep up with the demand. I have the Nexus 4 and quite frankly it puts every other phone to shame. The hardware and software is top notch.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I am bored with them and I never owned one. Live your life people. Don't live your life through you phone. Before you know it life will have passed you by while you lived your life looking at a smart phone.

You're missing out on a little bit of the excitement, but a part of my envies you. :)

REM314

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
Canada
I dont know what people are talking about in this thread but once I switched from iOS to Jelly Bean I can hardly look back. iOS feels so outdated these days with the rigid grid of icons. That and only that. I anticipate Apple will release a new version of iOS with some sort of widget ability soon.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal

Source? :rolleyes:

That's news to me. In the Android community the Nexus is well respected due to the fact that it gives you the pure Android experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.