Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doggman

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
Before anyone complains about this being here, I have been an iMac user for a long time now. The majority of my posts here on MR have been in the iMac section as well.

Yesterday I went ahead and ordered all the parts to build my own Windows desktop. I know, I should have at least waited until next month before I did, but I need something now and I was not going to be buying any of the current Macs. But while I have been checking this and other forums daily for bits of news on a *possible* refresh, it hit me. Why the hell am I revolving my life around a computer company? Especially one that doesn't seem to care enough about a loyal customers needs.

I am disappointed in the new iPhone, I am greatly disappointed in the new iOS update... and I could not be more disappointed in Apple's lack of respect for their non-mobile customers. Customers that have been using Macs for over 10 years. I also did not like Lion and think Mountain Lion is the worst version of OS X there is.

Combine all that with the fact that I just built a $1500 computer that will absolutely run circles in any configuration of a current iMac (and I am betting anything they are *possibly* about to release for that matter), and here we are.

I am not giving up on Apple completely. I will trial run this computer for a good half a year. If I really find it isn't for me, I can always sell the parts and return to the Mac fold... but for now, I just want to try something different.

Anyway, just my story of how Apple lost a potential iMac customer. I wholly expect the "cool story, bro"'s and the "good riddance" posts. But I just wanted to get it off my chest.

Grats on the new windows box. If Apple doesn't do something crazy with the next iMac I will be doing the same when the time comes to buy a desktop. How did the build go?

iClive

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2012
UK
i am windows user since day 1 and i thinking whether to get a new windows laptop or macbook pro

I switched from a Sony windows laptop to a MacBook Air about a year ago and have never looked back. At work I now have a Mac mini attached to SBS2011 network which works fine most of the time, but have parallels on board for the odd program that will only run on windows.

That's my experience but it all depends on your needs and preferences.

rhinobean

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
Yesterday I went ahead and ordered all the parts to build my own Windows desktop

I did this in 2010 after owning the 2006 iMac previously, and here I am two years later on the iMac rumors page waiting for the 2012 edition of the iMac. Couldn't shift my gaming PC so I gave it to the GF, and I have had to save up from scratch for the iMac.

My experience, make what you will.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I am no longer a windows fan after joining the mac bandwagon back in 2010 but the new windows 8 on both my MacBook retina and iMac will be interesting to try as its a departure of the ageing os much like apple faces withs iOS today.

goondocks

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
I did this in 2010 after owning the 2006 iMac previously, and here I am two years later on the iMac rumors page waiting for the 2012 edition of the iMac. Couldn't shift my gaming PC so I gave it to the GF, and I have had to save up from scratch for the iMac.

My experience, make what you will.

My wife forbid me from ever building another PC again. I haven't the patience or skill for such things. It wasn't a good day. Thankfully I know people who are good at this stuff.

PC should be built next week and $2,000 goes a long way in this world.

njean777

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
I have both a macbook pro and gaming pc, the gaming pc is basically a 900$ oversized console. I never use it for anything other then games.

masp84

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2008
We're gonna have to stick with apple

Macbooks are gonna be fine until they find the way to pack real power into a sot of iPad. I can foreseen a nicer keyboard dongle with ports in the near future and that's gonna be exiting for consumer computing. Tablets are defeating Laptops bit by bit and one day they'll fall. However it's different with the DESKTOP world, we're non mobile users (Producers, editors, programmers, developers) and that's what worry most of us. The release of Windows 8 (I assume it's not an eight but two stacked balls of cr4pp) is far from comforting, The OS layout is dumb and very unfriendly, it's like half-way touch-screen oriented just atrocious. I guess Apple is well aware of this and actually has a lot to thank to MS for this opening, also for not having to worry or hassle about refreshing Macs. Right now people looking for new PC's are gonna lean towards OSx GUI compared to w8, others are gonna have to hackintosh or stick to windows 7 until the dust settles. This is Jail.

Destroysall

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2012
United States
I don't see it as a sort of crime to not like an iMac. It's not the greatest machine in the world and you should always get a computer that suits your needs better. My primary machine is a custom built Windows 7 machine and I love it. I have considered a new iMac or Mac Mini for a secondary desktop, but I don't think I'd make the "switch".

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
I don't see it as a sort of crime to not like an iMac. It's not the greatest machine in the world and you should always get a computer that suits your needs better. My primary machine is a custom built Windows 7 machine and I love it. I have considered a new iMac or Mac Mini for a secondary desktop, but I don't think I'd make the "switch".

Ummm.... 2 month old thread?

This dude decided DLL's and daily Nortan AntiVirus updates were better than an all-in-one OSX machine. Case closed.

Board-modder42

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2012
Congratulations man! You finally realized you can build/buy a more powerful, sleeker PC for less than a Mac. Have fun!

Also, about the numerous comments on windows 8, I've been using it on the MS surface and in my desktop PC since the day it came out. Personally, I love the metro UI. And if you dot, then hell, use it in desktop mode for all I care. It makes it nearly the same as windows 7.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Your loss, im loving my new iMac with the 680mx!!! Ive seen quite a few hardcore PC gamers that are seriously looking into moving over to Apple now that the iMac has a decent GPU.

Gelite55

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
Sucks for you. OS X is far superior to Windows. The only real reason to use Windows is for Server and Active Directory use.

NVRENUF!

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
PERTH, Australia
Change is as good as a holiday.

nothing wrong with trying the other side and seeing how it goes.

I have been a windows user since for ever, I bought my first imac (late 2011) couple months ago, then just got the brand new imac , house is converted.

I love it , how the design works for each person will be different though i like it.

I think i lost interest in windows once windows 8 came out.
Dont like it any more. Windows seems primitive now.

I also got tired of messy cables and towers and all that.

Love the all in one look and minimalistic view of the imacs,

any way good luck with your trial, let us know how you find it.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Change is as good as a holiday.

nothing wrong with trying the other side and seeing how it goes.

I have been a windows user since for ever, I bought my first imac (late 2011) couple months ago, then just got the brand new imac , house is converted.

I love it , how the design works for each person will be different though i like it.

I think i lost interest in windows once windows 8 came out.
Dont like it any more. Windows seems primitive now.

I also got tired of messy cables and towers and all that.

Love the all in one look and minimalistic view of the imacs,

any way good luck with your trial, let us know how you find it.

if 8 seems primitive why not just stay with 7? :p

Slow Programmer

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2011
Ummm.... 2 month old thread?

This dude decided DLL's and daily Nortan AntiVirus updates were better than an all-in-one OSX machine. Case closed.

Perhaps... Or maybe he wants to watch a Blu-ray movie or spend five minutes upgrading his HD anytime he wants to :)

Aug 26, 2008
Sucks for you. OS X is far superior to Windows. The only real reason to use Windows is for Server and Active Directory use.

Not really. Which OS is "faster", has better graphics support, more flexible, works better with the Adobe suite, has more software choices, etc. etc. etc.?

It isn't OSX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.