Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingc0bra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
Anyone know anyone or any company that can program a simple game at a good price?

I knew someone who knew someone (haha sorry) that was able to get a simple game app programmed and released for around $600 and made him about 5k...

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
I knew someone who knew someone (haha sorry) that was able to get a simple game app programmed and released for around $600 and made him about 5k...

And I knew someone who knew someone who put $1 on a lotto ticket and won the jackpot. Drove to work in a new Ferrari and handed in his resignation letter.

Some other blog posted that a good price for a good iOS app ran between $25k and half a million. Ask around with those numbers and you might interest some good developers in your project.

kingc0bra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
And I knew someone who knew someone who put $1 on a lotto ticket and won the jackpot. Drove to work in a new Ferrari and handed in his resignation letter.

Some other blog posted that a good price for a good iOS app ran between $25k and half a million. Ask around with those numbers and you might interest some good developers in your project.

I didn't say anything unrealistic now did I? I said they made a very simple basic game for around $600, I don't see why its hard to believe? To make an app definitely doesn't cost 25k+...

forum user

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2008
I didn't say anything unrealistic now did I?.

Saying they have developed an app for $600 is just Selective Accounting. Somebody who did not consider their own hourly cost, the cost of living, cost of tools needed to do the job and so on.
Probably they calculated only the yearly apple fee, plus what they gave to the graphics designer for a logo and some icons.

In iOS and any other smartphone programming there are two things to consider:
-> The goldrush is over.
There a no nuggets left lying on the open ground waiting to be picked up. Now it is digging and heavy labour

-> You will get exactly what you pay for
A good programmer with experience will know the value and will ask a decent rate. After-all they have to pay for their own living, too.

If you have the experience of running a software project then you can hire at a low rate. But then it will be your hourly rate as the project manager that counts towards project costs.

Consider what you earn per hour with your current occupation, independent of what you do now. Just take it as a starting point. Then consider the development might take months. Depending on complexity you might need several programmers plus designers plus marketeers plus advertising. Do the math and you will get a more realistic number.

$600 is little to nothing

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
I didn't say anything unrealistic now did I? I said they made a very simple basic game for around $600, I don't see why its hard to believe? To make an app definitely doesn't cost 25k+..

Where exactly did you get this "definitely doesn't cost 25k+" from? Can you post a link to the research you or someone else conducted?

The stats I saw was that the average iOS app cost $27K, so I be interested in knowing who did your research.

Did you post an ad for a developer to do this game for $600? Did you get an overwhelming response?

We'd all like to see the outcome of this $600 venture.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Anyone know anyone or any company that can program a simple game at a good price?

We pay our developers in Malaysia around $1400US a month. That means for $600 you could buy about one week's labor. About enough time to get a specification developed for a simple game.

Anyone who is willing to write and release a program for you for $600US is simply working for beer money....

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
I said they made a very simple basic game for around $600, I don't see why its hard to believe?

At the going hourly rates for experienced iOS developers in my region, $600 would buy you less than one days work. That would get you something barely beyond "hello world", not anything suitable for the App store.

But maybe you can trick some school kids into painting your fence for free?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I didn't say anything unrealistic now did I? I said they made a very simple basic game for around $600, I don't see why its hard to believe? To make an app definitely doesn't cost 25k+...

I mostly work with console games, but I know that you won't get a mobile game for $600. If it's basic (as you say it is) it won't be noticed, no matter how good it is. You'd need to spend more than that on marketing (iOS/mobile marketing is notoriously difficult to crack due to a number of reasons exclusive to that area of gaming).

These things cost a lot to develop because you're basically buying someones time. It's effectively bidding. You're buying

It's effectively bidding. You're buying someones time. That's why some places can charge (what you think) is an overinflated figure. 25k is a low figure too!

It depends how serious you are about it. If you are I suggest learning programming or working out a revenue split with another developer, or even pitching the idea to a dev or publisher.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
It's effectively bidding.

That's an important factor. If the developer is demonstrably experienced and trustworthy, then depending on where they are and their experience, you might be bidding against people who can offer that developer between $20 and $200 per hour for their time. Can you out-bid your competition?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I'd estimate that you'll need to pay $1-$2K per week for an iOS developer and that the most basic of games would take at least 2 weeks. You'll have to pay at least $2K to have your basic app made.

Making a decent app will take a few months. $25K doesn't sound unreasonable for your final bill.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.