Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Bwahahaha. People find a lot of ways to criticise the S3 but I've never heard anyone criticise the screen before. It's been almost universally praised by everyone with functioning eyes.

The S3 is the worst screen in its class. Been saying that since day one, and until the S4 drops with Samsung's new PLS LCD tech, Samsung's flagship will be known for its garbage screen.

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
Cant wait to see what it is.

Android is already superior to iOS and if they make the hardware better along with some few things, I could defiantly see myself moving to Android.

Please go so that we do not to read the phrase 'defiantly' again.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
This is America, not Russia.

Because LTE uptake is so high in the US?

lte.png

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Please. Spare us the complete lack of critical thinking.

Was the Galaxy S series a mid-range device until recently because there was a distinct lack of LTE across that product line until summer 2012...

Or maybe, just maybe, 2011 does not = 2012

Your post speaks volumes. Don't use phrases like "critical thinking" since you clearly don't understand what that means.

WatchTheThrone

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Android fanboys or people with a mixture of Apple and Android products?

You can do that.

You and I both know that MOST that come here don't have both products. It's people who like iOS and come here to talk about it and there are people who only come here to troll.
I don't get the point of going to a forum of a product you dislike and talking **** about it!!
If I don't like a product I'm not gonna waste my time going to an android forum just to diss it and praise iOS!!

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The S3 is the worst screen in its class. Been saying that since day one, and until the S4 drops with Samsung's new PLS LCD tech, Samsung's flagship will be known for its garbage screen.

You can say it until the cows come home - doesn't make it true.

I typed "how is the galaxy s3 screen" into google. Here's the first 3 links. I guess other people have a different opinion...

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s3-1078667/review/2

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57524291-37/color-me-prettier-galaxy-s3-display-outdoes-iphone-5s/

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/iphone-5-vs-samsung-galaxy-s3

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Please. Spare us the complete lack of critical thinking.

Was the Galaxy S series a mid-range device until recently because there was a distinct lack of LTE across that product line until summer 2012...

YOU'RE the one who isn't critically thinking and you're the one who arbitrarily set the LTE criteria of a "high end" device. S/he was just applying YOUR rules to the iPhone.

So now it would seem that it's not your rule because that would make iPhone look bad. Now it has become "A device without LTE can be highend as long as it was released last year, or is an iPhone".

tdtran1025

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2011
Ah, Darth Vader is showing his true color. All bloat ware that force themselves into every Android device. In response to some passionate lovers below, I have this to say. We have both the Samsung S3 and iPhone 5 in the family. Let's leave hardware out for a second. I don't quite see how people can claim Android is better. Experts and Google don't say that. I suspect people cling to Android don't like to try out the competitions. Nobody likes the way Apple does business. Google is also lousy in their practice. Wait until Google gets to equal to Apple in revenue earning, they will be worse, because they can't design decent hardware. That is why I used to hate MS's business practice. Now they are in the dog house and the're OK.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
You and I both know that MOST that come here don't have both products. It's people who like iOS and come here to talk about it and there are people who only come here to troll.
I don't get the point of going to a forum of a product you dislike and talking **** about it!!
If I don't like a product I'm not gonna waste my time going to an android forum just to diss it and praise iOS!!

You're wrong. There are a lot of people here who own a variety of Mac products alongside other manufacturers products (OH HEAVENS!)

Stop being so black and white.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
You and I both know that MOST that come here don't have both products.

And like most others here, you're making baseless and unsupported assumptions.

----------

IS a zero profit wasteland. At least from hardware standpoint.

Then why do all these companies keep making Android phones? Out of the Goodness of their heart?

Samsung posts $7.4 billion (quarterly) profit on smartphone sales
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/samsung-posts-74-billion-profit-on-smartphone-sales-284521

Yea, it must suck to be Samsung :rolleyes:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Because LTE uptake is so high in the US?

The USA has 240,000,000 living in some type of LTE coverage, or about 80% of our population...How many other single nations are covering that many people with LTE?

Last edited:

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
tapping links accurately in a browser

That's truly confusing. On my Galaxy Nexus the browser pops up a zoom box with the links when it detects an ambiguous press so that I can then select the correct link.

Screenshot_2012-12-22-15-48-57.png

Are you sure you actually tried it and and didn't... you know... make it up?

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010

But my friend's S3 screen has way better color saturation than my iPhone...

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
The USA has 240,000,000 living in some type of LTE coverage, or about 80% of our population...How many other single nations are covering that many people with LTE?

What does coverage matter if less than 10% of new subscriptions are using it? We're talking about why a company might forgo LTE in the interests of reaching the greatest number of people in the world with a product.... coverage has nothing to do with it.

----------

I have this to say. We have both the Samsung S3 and iPhone 5 in the family. Let's leave hardware out for a second. I don't quite see how people can claim Android is better. Experts and Google don't say that.

You are claiming that Google don't think Android is better?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
What does coverage matter if less than 10% of new subscriptions are using it? We're talking about why a company might forgo LTE in the interests of reaching the greatest number of people in the world with a product.... coverage has nothing to do with it.

Apple doesn't seem to have a problem addressing the matter.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
with the help of moto...things are going to get interesting.

i for one will welcome this. its always good to see new products in the marketplace and might finally get apple to start innovating again. iOS needs a change...

by change i mean
1. look at settings..its a mess
2. toggles (yes a can of worms, but users should be able to easily access the wifi toggle..NO...settings-->wifi-->on/off is not quick)
3. UI flexability

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Apple doesn't seem to have a problem addressing the matter...

No, they have had problems with this earlier in the year and they haven't exactly solved this issue. So far they just decided to make three different iPhone 5s supporting different frequencies:
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/09/iphone5-lte-model/

But then that "solution" has created other problems:

http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/20/ip...re-affecting-the-carrier-landscape-in-europe/

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/09/want-global-lte-roaming-on-iphone-5-dont-buy-it-from-att/

Dont get me wrong, LTE fragmentation is not Apple's fault but until someone that comes up with an LTE chip that supports all the frequencies, LTE won't be a solution for a World phone (again, not Apple's fault).

----------

Also, just curious, but what exactly are you doing with your iPhone that requires 50Mbit or whatever you are getting with LTE? About the only things I can think of (and I spend my working days thinking about stuff like this) is if you are using your iPhone as a hotspot... or running speedtest. Are you downloading large media files or something?

Maybe you just feel warm and fuzzy knowing that if you ever need to download files at those speeds (and Apple implements file management in iOS) that you can? :D

Last edited:

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Is the current Nexus 4 not to compete with the iPhone?

the Nexus 4 is a developer phone.

----------

If it doesn't have LTE it's a midrange device, so don't try puffing up the Nexus 4 too much.

This is America, not Russia. If it ain't LTE, it aint a flagship in this day and age.

Ok, then the iPhone 5 isn't a flagship phone everywhere, either. Here in Switzerland, LTE isn't supported as yet on the iPhone until Apple releases an update in the first half of 2013. By then, the 5S will already have been announced.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
the Nexus 4 is a developer phone.

Whilst traditionally the Nexus line had been aimed at developers I do not believe this to be the primary focus of the Nexus this time around.

----------

Ok, then the iPhone 5 isn't a flagship phone everywhere, either. Here in Switzerland, LTE isn't supported as yet on the iPhone until Apple releases an update in the first half of 2013. By then, the 5S will already have been announced.

Yea, but Technarchy would probably consider Switzerland to be a third world country :D

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
The current Nexus 4 is a joke compared to the iPhone 5. There isn't really a competitor to the iPhone 5 out there right now yet.

Actually it isnt a joke at all. They just dont sell it everywhere and never have and they dont advertize it much. You can only get one in the Google play store or at T-Mobile and not every area even has them. There are no Nexus 4 phones in T-Mobile stores in Las Vegas for example so they arent easy to get and they are selling really good right now.

And there are competititors to the iP5. Otherwise others wouldnt be switching to something else.

When the GS4 comes out, that could spell more trouble for Apple. The GS3 has been selling very well and the Galaxy line is only getting bigger as far as sales with every new release.

The Bulge

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Up your ass.

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
Improper move given the business model. I think moving into hardware was a mistake, especially the acquisition of moto. It sends the wrong message to OEMs.. "Hey, I want you to use my platform, but you'll be competing with me."

The same goes to Microsoft with the surface tablet.

It's one thing to work with the OEM with your staff to refine a product/experience. It's another to directly compete with them while expecting them to adopt your software platform, which in turn will generate you even more revenue. I don't know if the short term gains justify the long term alienation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.