Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Apple is beginning to make weak commercials.. when jobs was around i was always impressed with the sound score behind the commercial as well as the storyline/outline of the commercial. not to creative anymore. seems like there trying to hard

Trying to hard what?

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple has released a new television ad showcasing the iPad and the iPad mini with a young girl singing Bing Crosby's "I'll Be Home for Christmas" to her grandfather over FaceTime.

YouTube: video
Last year, Apple released a holiday ad featuring Santa talking to the then-new Siri to get directions and weather.

Article Link: Apple Releases 'I'll Be Home' iPad Mini Holiday Television Ad

Apple is losing steam:(.

Why would Apple release a cheaper product to replace a more expensive product? I don't get it. Maybe it's a good idea to lower down the revenue.

This is a cheap TV ad, I don't like it..... It suggests that old man should better use an iPad. Is it because it will be too difficult for an old man to use OSX or old man has no money to buy a 27" iMac.

Why does the girl not use a full size iPad? Parents are cheap?

One more time, this is a CHEAP TV ad:mad:

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I love how the resolution show on iChat is full blast flawless crystal clear HD...never achievable IRL.

Of course the "screen images are simulated" disclaimer makes it all ok.

Lump of coal for you this year, grumpy.

(And where was that disclaimer, or are you digging for dirt?)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Oh give me a break. It's funny and edgy. Anyway, the S-Beam one where the wife beams her hubby a naughty video "you probably should't watch it on the plane" as he gets in a cab is better. Identical concept that's more acceptable to hyper sensitive people I guess.

And if you could "bump" iPhones (using NFC, not that cheezy app) to share videos, pics and stuff, people would swoon like it was the second coming. Just saying.

Believe me I would never be caught dead bumping my iPhone with anyone else's. ;). Completely lame. Oh and I don't need Santa and Mrs. Clause to be "edgy". If Apple's commercials are boring because they're not "edgy" enough fine with me. :)

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Wow, you must be cynical because you can't afford any of Apple's products this year? This ad perfectly demonstrated how two of Apple's headlining products work seamlessly together, using a heart-warming approach. :)

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
I'd be the first say I think this is brilliant. It's sweet, and oh so simple.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Lump of coal for you this year, grumpy.

(And where was that disclaimer, or are you digging for dirt?)

You're right there is no disclaimer, which is surprising. Normally all commercials have this due to the fact that the marketing images/simulations are not realistic. They are exaggerated to show the product, not the realistic functionality that a consumer can expect.

So, my iPad (work issued) does not have that crystal clear resolution on iChat.

If yours does, what's the secret? Exactly. It's fictitious.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Why would Apple release a cheaper product to replace a more expensive product? I don't get it. Maybe it's a good idea to lower down the revenue.

It's what they did the with the iPod line, and look how that worked out for them--wonderfully. Apple's always been about showing us things we didn't even realize we wanted yet. Well, a smaller iPad may not be for all, but it's supposed 40% cannibalization rate is speaking for itself.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Sigh.

I hate to be *that guy*, but commercials featuring "I'll Be Home For Christmas" and "Santa Claus" ...

Can we just admit these things are CHRISTMAS ADS, not "Holiday Ads", please? WTF.

I'm glad to see Apple not afraid to use a Christmas song in an ad. I thought it was a cute ad. Not sure what people are expecting, but I think they're dissecting a 30 second spot way too much. :)

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Because the *value* in the product is not defined by either the hardware or the software, but in the user experience, and *none* of that is lost in the iPad mini. As they say, it's the full iPad experience. Happy customers means more sales of apps, music, TV shows, movies... the revenue that "cheaper" product will generate is far more than the difference between the full-sized iPad and the mini. So, while the upfront cost may be lower, the overall value to Apple (and the customer) is far greater.

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
Wow, you must be cynical because you can't afford any of Apple's products this year? This ad perfectly demonstrated how two of Apple's headlining products work seamlessly together, using a heart-warming approach. :)

Are you kidding me? I bought iPad2 and iPad3, two times Apple TV, Airport Extreme base station. I don't like iPhone, it's too small.

I bought the latest 2012 21.5" iMac the first hour available in Apple Store even though my 2010 iMac is still running fine. And I bought a new superdrive and a Windows 7 Ultimate DVD retail veriosn (not a cheap OEM DVD) for Bootcamp installation.

I'm planing to buy a Mac mini for HTPC after Apple cleans up all these HDMI mess.

Could you please tell me what toys you bought from Apple in 2012?

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA

This is a cheap TV ad, I don't like it..... It suggests that old man should better use an iPad. Is it because it will be too difficult for an old man to use OSX or old man has no money to buy a 27" iMac.

Why does the girl not use a full size iPad? Parents are cheap?

Are you kidding me?
I don't even...

Okay - Why, then, does the 21" iMac even exist? or the 16GB iPhone? Or any other non-top-of-the-line product?

Hell why doesn't apple only sell Mac Pro's with Thunderbolt displays, and call it a day!?

I like the way you think, sir.

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
It's what they did the with the iPod line, and look how that worked out for them--wonderfully. Apple's always been about showing us things we didn't even realize we wanted yet. Well, a smaller iPad may not be for all, but it's supposed 40% cannibalization rate is speaking for itself.

I don't like this CHEAP Apple TV ad because it targets at little girl's parents and old man.

It's not cheap to advertise on TV, can Apple come up with something better for broader audience and products?

----------

Are you kidding me?
I don't even...

Okay - Why, then, does the 21" iMac even exist? or the 16GB iPhone? Or any other non-top-of-the-line product?

Hell why doesn't apple only sell Mac Pro's with Thunderbolt displays, and call it a day!?

I like the way you think, sir.

You don't get my point.

A bigger screen all-in-one iMac is better for an old man because most old men are far-sighted. A small screen iPad mini is bad for little kid's eyes too.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
How do we know it's her grandfather?

More importantly, why do you care who it is?

Newsflash - just because he doesn't like the commercial it doesn't mean he's too 'poor' to afford an apple product.

People like you give Apple users a bad name.

jdegid

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
What I was thinking
I'll be home for Christmas.... unless your ordered a 27" iMac then you might get me by February la la la la :rolleyes:

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Given that a couple of my favorite Apple ads include the Jimi Hendrix's "Purple Haze" (the G4 Cube ad) and Muse's "Sunburn" (the one that asks: have you ever wondered what music looks like when it burns?), this ad was bound to dissapoint me.

Even Smucker's ads aren't so cloyingly sweet.

It's like Apple's grown up from an interesting teenager to a really boring parent full of the most soluble words and platitudes.

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
I'm having such a hard time finding a 16 or 32 GB Wi-Fi iPad mini. I wound up buying a 64 GB model, which will be WAY overkill for the intended recipient.

Does Apple even need to be advertising these right now? It's almost like rubbing salt in the wound.

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
More importantly, why do you care who it is?

Newsflash - just because he doesn't like the commercial it doesn't mean he's too 'poor' to afford an apple product.

People like you give Apple users a bad name.

Thanks for your support, Macsrcool1234.

I'm a Windows user, though I use a lot of Apple hardware because of the design. My observation is that, compared to Windows users, there are a lot of mean Apple users in public forum.

In old days, I did not hear or read about Sony Walkman fans bad mouth, let's say, Philips cassette player fans. Or Marantz fans bad mouth Harmon-Kardon fans (or vise versa).

Seriously, modern Apple cult is very mean.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.