Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I thought it was a very poor ad. The idea is ok, but the girls voice is grating (not very good) and its boring to look at an old guy doing nothing.

Same ad could have been produced much better.

I think Apple has lost its marketing edge. I think thats what SJ excelled at.

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2012
I heard this commercial as I was walking upstairs to my room today. First thing that I thought of was all the parents of those children at Sandy Hook Elementary. I think it's the lyrics and the little girls voice.

I dunno but yeah. :(

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I was in Apple store several times, no one looked at 11" Macbook Air. It is a failure, the screen is small and non-touch screen, no 4G, short battery life. Get a 4G big iPad is more practical, better user experience and cheaper.

So far I havn't seen any people use other brand name tablet. Have you?

11" MBA is an awesome device. It is very small and extremely capable. I've seen sales folks at the store try to convince customers to get an iPad instead.

I have seen many people using other brand tablets. Typically want a cheap tablet. Don't realize how bad the experience is.

Hell0W0rld

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2010
Apple is beginning to make weak commercials.. when jobs was around i was always impressed with the sound score behind the commercial as well as the storyline/outline of the commercial. not to creative anymore. seems like there trying to hard

That is exactly the same people say about past times:
"In the past everything was better".

That is progress bro, the next thing you will be saying is that in the dark ages everything was better.

That aside I find this ad extremely sad, Technology is no replacement for physical presents. How do they shake hands? How does she hug her Grandpa? How do they exchange gift's? With apps? Something that gets lost as soon as your device dies?

But hey, it is progress, so it is good right? ...right?

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
Last year, Apple released a holiday ad featuring Santa talking to the then-new Siri to get directions and weather.

Meanwhile, I accidentally got Siri to crash an iPad by telling it to call me a really long name.

----------

lame ad... they took simplicity to the whole new level.

Apple's done way better ads than this.

----------

These commercials are too soft.

C'mon Apple. We don't need transformers and explosions, but tighten up a bit...

Yeah, it's weak. I really like the print ad on the back of Time magazine that features a life-sized iPad mini with the magazine cover on it. The one problem is that I'd rather use the big iPad to read magazines than the small one.

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
One of the most adorable commercials I've seen this holiday season. Something about it just warms my heart. And that's really hard to say about something that interrupts my movie.

hwrdrrk

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
Apple is beginning to make weak commercials.. when jobs was around i was always impressed with the sound score behind the commercial as well as the storyline/outline of the commercial. not to creative anymore. seems like there trying to hard

weak argument. weakerer grammar.

"not too creative anymore."

"seems like they're trying too hard."

Where is the Steve Jobs of our educational system?

bartzilla

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2008

You're absolutely right. What we need are the sort of creative ads that were around in SJ's day. Like another 500 "I'm a mac, I'm a PC" ads. So creative.

Anyone who tries to make their point with a variation of "In Steve Job's day Apple would never have..." is pretty much automatically a dick, btw.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Apple is losing steam:(.

Why would Apple release a cheaper product to replace a more expensive product? I don't get it. Maybe it's a good idea to lower down the revenue.

This is a cheap TV ad, I don't like it..... It suggests that old man should better use an iPad. Is it because it will be too difficult for an old man to use OSX or old man has no money to buy a 27" iMac.

Why does the girl not use a full size iPad? Parents are cheap?

One more time, this is a CHEAP TV ad:mad:

It doesn't replace, it compliments, it gives the consumer another option, at a cheaper price....opening new revenue streams...read business much? The advert shows both iPads available, not just the Mini. Are you a troll?

Regarding the ad: What better time to push FaceTime than at Christmas as many people will not make it to their loved ones/family. The ad really hits that on the head, it's simple, as expected, pulls on the heartstrings (of some) and has a catchy tune and features both iPads. Job done!

Last edited:

Aug 5, 2012
What a terrible advert.

All it makes me want to do is sell my APPL stock in fear of what direction the company is taking.

eddieaus

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2009
What a terrible advert.

All it makes me want to do is sell my APPL stock in fear of what direction the company is taking.

What do you expect from a holiday ad that only runs on TV for a few days?

UK-MacAddict

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2010
How bad are Apples adverts these days for the iPhone and iPad!!!?? They are just so cringeworthy and cheesy.

I mean the panoramic photo ad where the guy is saying 'cheeeeeee......eeeese' just makes my skin crawl.

Apple need to sack the whole advertising team. There ads used to be so cool like the iPod dancing silhouettes adverts. They should stick with the same style they use with the retina MacBook Pro adverts classy and subtle.

amt2002

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
This is probably the most horrendous advert I've ever seen! Eurgh!

1 how do we know its her grandfather.
2 he's sitting there with a strained grin on his face, obviously thinking "****** me this singing is really ********* annoying"

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
I thought the piano ad was cute and witty, but this strikes me as being somewhat corny and cliched. Can do better.

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK
What??????

There's nothing creative about apple anymore! iMacs with no optical drives and SD slots ON THE BACK, expensive mini iPads with non retina screens, iPhone's with dodgy attennas then scratching backs, power macs with no upgrades for 2 years, apple tv (nuff said!), mac mini with no optical drives and no tv tuners (missing the best media machine opportunity in the world!), an OS that gets worse release on release, MAPS ... shall I go on

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.