Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
I know most of you don't like the idea, but the iphone would have even more market share in the usa if they offered a 5" or bigger phone along with the existing 4" phone. I'd get one.

Yep you'd get one, and that 20% would NOT. Face it, not everyone who has a life wants a 5 inch phone which they cannot put in their pockets.

:apple:

----------

Overall U.S. smartphone market for 2012...

Android - 52%
iOS in second - 35%
Blackberry OS - 7%
Other - 5%
Windows Phone - 2%

Source: Nielsen

Android = a gazillion of manufacturers.
iOS and Blackberry = 1 manufacturer each.

SO when it comes to OS market share I've always found it hilarious to see Android fan boys tout market share. It's good their sub $100 phones are contributing to the good cause against evil Apple.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I'm not emotionally involved in the Android vs iOS argument. What I do care about is what works for me. I've been using iPhones. They interface with my MBP & iPad just fine. Some say they're getting boring, but I don't find that to be the case. I'm not an impulse buyer, nor do I need a phone that changes significantly year to year. It does what I want & that's all I need. By not having to spend time buying, setting up, and all that one does each time they buy a new device, I've saved not only time but money. Time that I can put to good use doing fun things.

patentlawyer

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2012
I believe they are putting things in perspective regarding that small and insignificant area that isn't the US. You know... the rest of the world? :D.

True. So again..what does that have to do with this story? It's specifically about the US.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Yep you'd get one, and that 20% would NOT. Face it, not everyone who has a life wants a 5 inch phone which they cannot put in their pockets.

:apple:

----------

SO when it comes to OS market share I've always found it hilarious to see Android fan boys tout market share. It's good their sub $100 phones are contributing to the good cause against evil Apple.

:rolleyes: While this has no fanboy intentions at all huh? Funny.
Around the world Android has like 70-80% marketshare. Not that it matters. Apple is a USA company and they should do their best business here in the USA. They probably would do better if their prices werent so high but it is what it is and the marketshare will go back and forth probably going Androids way when the GS4 comes out.
Google is a USA company too but all they do is the Android OS and both companies are doing well so dont know why anybody bags on Android. Who cares which one you use as long as it fits what you want?

Last edited:

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
SO when it comes to OS market share I've always found it hilarious to see Android fan boys tout market share.

I know, it cracks me up every time right? To think that one single Android phone could ever outsell the iPhone is preposterous...

Samsung Galaxy S3 outsells iPhone for first time
http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/samsung-galaxy-s3-outsells-iphone-for-first-time-50009715/

Samsung Galaxy S3 outsells iPhone 4S to become world’s leading smartphone
http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/...iphone-5-to-become-world-s-leading-smartphone

Samsung Galaxy S3 outsells iPhone 5 in UK, say new figures
http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/samsung-galaxy-s3-outsells-iphone-5-in-uk-say-new-figures-50009353/

Those stupid fandroids!!!

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
I know, it cracks me up every time right? To think that one single Android phone could ever outsell the iPhone is preposterous...

Samsung Galaxy S3 outsells iPhone for first time
http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/samsung-galaxy-s3-outsells-iphone-for-first-time-50009715/

Samsung Galaxy S3 outsells iPhone 4S to become world’s leading smartphone
http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/...iphone-5-to-become-world-s-leading-smartphone

Samsung Galaxy S3 outsells iPhone 5 in UK, say new figures
http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/samsung-galaxy-s3-outsells-iphone-5-in-uk-say-new-figures-50009353/

Those stupid fandroids!!!

Yep S3 outsold iphone4s, a phone that's released more than half a year before, by spending billions of advertising to make fun of Apple and by paying carriers other billions to push the S3. WOWOWOW that's awesome!!!!

WOW the UK's market share is so big now.

In the meantime all the money in the smartphone market goes to Apple. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

:apple:in your face.

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
no apps
crappy notifications
stupid interface

take your pick

no apps -> which apps do you miss? There are several pretty good options for nearly every use case. Just do some research.

crappy notifications -> Huh? The notification drawer works exactly the same like on Android or iOS. And actually some information is easier at hand with Live Tiles. Could it be that you either didn't use a Win Phone for a longer period of time or didn't grasp the concept?

stupid interface -> YMMV but actually I like the tiles. Nevertheless Android is my current choice, as widgets rule!

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Android was ahead in the US earlier.

So what. It's free. You can slap any version of Android on any piece of **** hardware out there. The main thing is how often your handset gets an update. iPhone users don't get updates from the cell carrier, which is one of the reasons I like the iPhone.

And you missed my point. In the Windows vs Mac days, people were making a big deal out of an OS (Windows) market share versus that of the Mac (computer) market share. You can slap Windows on any piece of **** hardware out there, just like Android can be. Which is why I say Android is the new Windows.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
So what. It's free. You can slap any version of Android on any piece of **** hardware out there.

Not if you want it to have Google Maps, Play Store, GMail, YouTube and all the other Gapps...you know, the entire Android ecosystem. If you want this stuff the hardware needs to go through a verification process.

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
Not if you want it to have Google Maps, Play Store, GMail, YouTube and all the other Gapps...you know, the entire Android ecosystem. If you want this stuff the hardware needs to go through a verification process.

Apparently the verification process is not that great.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
You can get an iPhone easily for under $100. Why contribute that solely to Android's success, and not Apple's as well?

You can get a year or two old iPhone for under $100.

You can get a newly released android phone with food stamps and pocket lint.

Hell, President Barry gives them away. I'm sure if he gave iPhones away that would help with market share a few percentage points.

Last edited:

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Apparently the verification process is not that great.

Don't like the hardware? Don't buy it! It's not brain surgery.

If you can't understand the distinction i'd stay away making purchases. "Why doesn't this Toyota perform as well as a Ferrari?!".

I realise that now everyone might be incapable of making informed purchasing decisions given that buying iPhones only involves "Do I want the black one or the white one" but this is getting ridiculous.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
You can get a year or two old iPhone for under $100.

You can get a newly released android phone with food stamps and pocket lint.

Hell, President Barry gives them away. I'm sure if he gave iPhones away that would help with market share a few percentage points.

When you speak in hyperbole it weakens your case.

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
So what. It's free. You can slap any version of Android on any piece of **** hardware out there. The main thing is how often your handset gets an update. iPhone users don't get updates from the cell carrier, which is one of the reasons I like the iPhone.

And you missed my point. In the Windows vs Mac days, people were making a big deal out of an OS (Windows) market share versus that of the Mac (computer) market share. You can slap Windows on any piece of **** hardware out there, just like Android can be. Which is why I say Android is the new Windows.

Oh, I thought you were saying that this was a lame, predictable story. My mistake. Yes, Android is the Windows of mobile devices (besides the actual mobile Windows). Even more than a PC, I think it's important for a smartphone's software and hardware to both be made by the same company. Maybe Google's new phone will be good.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
The difference between US and Europe can be addressed to subsidizing, I think in Europe the price difference between iPhone and high-end devices from competitors is >€200,- while in the US it's no more than $100 (€80). Give or take.

For Apple's sake, I hope this subsidizing will continue forever, because this model is the main reason iPhone devices are more popular than Android devices.

Nevertheless, extremely impressive results, because the previous year was the first Android devices really caught up with the iPhone, but still the iPhone sales are way stronger. Really impressive.

Very true. In the UK for example I can get almost any high end Android phone for free on a contract. Off contract I can get a Nexus 4 for ~£240. Therefore there are considerable savings to be made on an Android phone over an iPhone even if you go for the latest and greatest models.

Still, iPhones aren't exactly unpopular here, a lot of businesspeople have them and they're quickly replacing BlackBerries in business environments. As a uni student though I see most young adults using cheap Androids (Samsung Galaxy Mini, HTC Wildfire, etc.) or BlackBerries because they're easy to get for little money.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010

That's how Apple and RIM chose to run their company. Nevertheless, economics doesn't gives a crap on how you run it. So even if Android has tons of manufactures and is selling more, it has a larger marketshare. You can't take a single good selling Android phone compete it with the iPhone because Apple only chooses to only release 1 iPhone a year.

I've always find it hilarious to see people use the term "fanboy" assuming that I'm a fan of Android. I'm just stating the facts. Android is still in total control of the smartphone marketshare since 2011.

hot spare

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2011
http://www.kantarworldpanel.com/dwl.php?sn=news_downloads&id=98

iOS passed Android last year for a few months and almost got to 50%.
That was a massive improvement over the previous peak which was 30% (about half of Android).

Did you forget to mention **ONLY IN US**

All US_specific statistics are irritating. Let's also have some Nigeria-specific statistics then.

US is not even the largest smartphone market in the world. Accounts for just about 15% of total smartphone market.

How about 75% world wide marketshare according to IDC?

http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...d-Marks-Fourth-Anniversary-Launch-75.0-Market

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
How's Apple's share price done over the last year buddy? :rolleyes:

It's up about 30%.

You can get an iPhone easily for under $100. Why contribute that solely to Android's success, and not Apple's as well?

Because you can get an Android phone for significantly less that an iPhone in most of the world. Even around $100 unsubsidized.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.