Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cogmate

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Maryland
I have a Dell, and a Toshiba.
Both have extensive MS Word files .doc on them.
I'd like to import those files into my MBpro.

Do I need to purchase & install a copy of Word first?
I assume I do. Just want to be sure.
Can I buy Word by itself, or do I have to buy an Office Suite which I really have not use for.

Is there anything else special that has to be done in order to bring the files in and begin to use and edit them?

Thanks in advance.

treatment

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2012
Nope.

TextEdit (comes pre-installed with OS) will read/edit .doc files effortlessly.
So will an assortment of other Mac software.

Cogmate

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Maryland
Nope.

TextEdit (comes pre-installed with OS) will read/edit .doc files effortlessly.
So will an assortment of other Mac software.

Nice clean answer, thanks.

I imported all my photo files using a thumb-flash drive.
Do you know if I can do the same with my Word files?

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
I have a Dell, and a Toshiba.
Both have extensive MS Word files .doc on them.
I'd like to import those files into my MBpro.

Do I need to purchase & install a copy of Word first?
I assume I do. Just want to be sure.
Can I buy Word by itself, or do I have to buy an Office Suite which I really have not use for.

Is there anything else special that has to be done in order to bring the files in and begin to use and edit them?

Thanks in advance.

If you have Pages (the Apple word processing app) installed you can open Word files using pages.

Just right click on the file and you will get "Open with...." and a choice of apps available. (I am using a Logitech mouse, not an Apple offering)

Choose Pages (or whatever you want to use) and you are good to go.

Occasionally you get this:

ScreenShot2012-12-22at63137PM_zps4f271923.png

I have yet to find a problem that is not resolved; fonts etc are just changed to what is available. I just close it and edit where necessary.

When it comes to exporting Pages documents they can be exported as a Word file. With OS X 10.8, click "Export" in the "File" drop down menu, and choose the format you want.

I have Mac:Office installed, but seldom use Word on my Mac these days. Sure, Word has a few more features, but Pages has all the features I need, and I find it easier to use.

I feel a bit of a hypocrite sometimes, when I chide students for submitting poorly formatted work, especially when they claim to be expert users of Word. Knowing my way around Pages, it is easy for me. I sat in front of a PC at work the other day, wanting to reformat a document using Word, and was fairly soon lost.....!

Last edited:

Cogmate

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Maryland
Thanks, Micky Do, for all the info!

I've been bumbling around in Pages.
Maybe I should be more patient.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.