Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I use splashtop on my iPad 2 and am considering getting an ipad 4 soon. The higher resolution should be helpful for me. My concern is, will the higher resolution increase lag/reduce performance, or will the superior wifi radio and processor offset this?

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
I use splashtop on my iPad 2 and am considering getting an ipad 4 soon. The higher resolution should be helpful for me. My concern is, will the higher resolution increase lag/reduce performance, or will the superior wifi radio and processor offset this?

The processor is so good that its impossible for the device to lag. I was using garageband recording in the background (which even has a warning because of its performance requirements) and watching youtube at the same time and still everything smooth as butter. The iPad 4 does not lag or drop FPS, at least it has never done so for me. So yes it will offset it.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
No offense, but I need an opinion from someone who actually uses splashtop. It's like VNC, so there WILL be lag. I'm curious how that bump in resolution will manifest itself in terms of performance.

mlovergaard

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2011
New York City
I use splashtop on the iPad 4 and don't see much lag, sometimes if I am doing something very heavy there is a little but it's hardly noticeable.

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
No offense, but I need an opinion from someone who actually uses splashtop. It's like VNC, so there WILL be lag. I'm curious how that bump in resolution will manifest itself in terms of performance.

Well there is no lag on iphoto, imovie, garageband and high end games so that should be a good indicator unless this is a poorly made app.... just using some common sense. Or is there something else im missing.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
I use Splashtop on my iPad 4 routinely to manage my windows 8 iTunes server PC. I have on a few occasions accidentally started playing an HD video via VLC when I meant to drag it into iTunes... and they usually play smoothly including audio through to the iPad.

Lag seems to be very minimal, in other words it never calls to my attention. My server PC is an i7 2600k with an SSD boot drive, but the system just uses the built in graphics.

Also, I've never tinkered with the settings to run Splashtop at a retina resolution. By default it appears to run at 1024x768 despite being used from an iPad 4. For my purposes that resolution, although not crisp, it's more than adequate for remote management.

If there's something specific you would like tested I'm willing to give it a try. Otherwise I recommend the app easily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.