Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/21/motorola-x-phone-x-tablet-rumor-android-smartphone/

Motorola reportedly engineering 'X phone' and 'X tablet' to rival iPhone and Galaxy devices Mobile

Remember that era where the original RAZR elevated Motorola's name in the mobile realm to god-like status? Evidently, folks in that inner circle are angling for that to happen once more. A breaking report from The Wall Street Journal has is on good authority that engineers at Moto are toiling on a so-called "X phone," which is obviously being built under the stewardship of Google. The goal? To produce a singular handset that can immediately rival the iPhone and Samsung's flagship Galaxy handsets.

It's unclear at the moment what exactly will make this guy such a marquee piece, but we are told that the effort is being headed up by former Google product manager Lior Ron. Reportedly, the company even went so far as to look into producing the phone with a bendable display and a ceramic-based exterior, but it's unlikely that those dreams will pan out. Strangely, there's no mention of whether the phone will slot into Google's Nexus range -- phones that run unadulterated editions of Android -- but it's made clear that an X tablet will be following the phone. At some point post-Apocalypse, obviously.

Not entiurely sure what this will achieve with the Nexus program pumping out some decent hardware but this could be very interesting.

Fully Google controlled flagship hardware? Consider me interested!

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
It would be nice to see vs. the current new manufacturer showcase every year on the Nexus line.

Tegra 4 looks delicious too with rumors of another partnership with ASUS to make a new $99-129 tablet.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I wish Motorola would just release the Droid RAZR MAXX HD on AT&T. I would buy it ASAP.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
If Google can get organized and have strong leadership, it could become both a phone manufacturer and a phone carrier. God knows we need national competition against the lazy phone carriers and their artificial restrictions on smartphone use. Google would liberate. I would totally kill for a Google made phone with a Google provided data connection.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
$$$ - Google wants a piece of this pie. I would be very interested in seeing how they will eventually price said device. And hopefully the design is original, it would be a huge player in the market.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I wish Motorola would just release the Droid RAZR MAXX HD on AT&T. I would buy it ASAP.

Having the RAZR maxx on all the carriers would have saved Motorola. Not sure why they took the short term exclusivity agree over long term growth and profit.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
This will probably be some sort of "carrier-version, unofficial Nexus, headed under the guise of Motorola aka Google" with LTE, sold at same price points as the others ($199 for two year contract).

A Googorola Nexzr, if you will.

Could be a winner.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
This will probably be some sort of "carrier-version, unofficial Nexus, headed under the guise of Motorola aka Google" with LTE, sold at same price points as the others ($199 for two year contract).

Could be a winner.

That would instantly put me off personally.

Look at how the Galaxy Nexus in Verizon is languishing behind Android versions officially. :(

The dev community would undoubtedly pick up the slack though so it wouldn't be the end of the world. :D

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

Could be a winner.

Doesn't work. The Verizon carrier locked Galaxy Nexus was a mistake, as was the Nexus S 4G on Sprint. Remember when Google for a short time booted them off AOSP support because of how much of a pain in the ass CDMA carriers are?

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Isn't the Nexus 4 already considered some sort of "flagship" with that kind of specs?:confused:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Doesn't work. The Verizon carrier locked Galaxy Nexus was a mistake, as was the Nexus S 4G on Sprint. Remember when Google for a short time booted them off AOSP support because of how much of a pain in the ass CDMA carriers are?

Definitely hear your concern. I'm guessing because this won't be an official Nexus, it'll get updates after the Nexus do, but likely before everyone else. The current Motos are getting JB at a faster rate than others are getting it. It took Samsung 6+ months to roll it out (but they did add new features).

I'm only speculating, though.

----------

That would instantly put me off personally.

Look at how the Galaxy Nexus in Verizon is languishing behind Android versions officially. :(

The dev community would undoubtedly pick up the slack though so it wouldn't be the end of the world. :D

Yup. Just speculating. Not sure how it'll all play out.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Looks like Googorola plans to market this phone strongly: http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/21/google-reportedly-poaches-key-samsung-marketing-vp-from-motorola/

Google may be doing more to boost Motorola's presence than whipping up a new device strategy, if rumors are true. AllThingsD claims that Google has poached Samsung's American VP for strategic marketing, Brian Wallace, for a roughly equivalent role at Motorola. The move would not only give Motorola a high-profile executive who's had stints at companies like RIM, but one who's not afraid of taking the competition head-on: Samsung's TV ads poking fun at iPhone launch queues appeared under Wallace's tenure. We've asked Google, Motorola and Samsung whether or not the shift is real; Motorola won't comment in either direction, and we haven't heard from the remaining two. If there's any truth to the story, Motorola might have a stronger carrier-independent sales pitch than the occasional dystopic TV spot.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
The better get their s&%t together though before offering they're own hardware. Their handling of the recent Nexus offerings was atrocious and they will NEVER compete with Samsung/Apple if they can't properly sell and service hardware.

gto55

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Tel Aviv
[#ff0000]Motorola XT1058 hits the FCC: Could this be the X Fon?[/#ff0000]
http://liliputing.com/2013/05/motorola-xt1058-hits-the-fcc-could-this-be-the-x-fon.html

It’s been about a year since Google acquired Motorola, which means that pretty much every Motorola phone that’s been released since the acquisition was already in the works before Google got involved. Research, development, and production take time.
But that could change this year, and there’ve rumors of an upcoming Google-influenced Motorola device called the X Fon. While allegedly leaked photos have popped up a few times, Motorola has yet to confirm the phone’s existence.

Clearly the company is working on something, though. An unannounced handset called the Motorola XT1058 just passed through the FCC, and the label drawing looks a lot like the back of the phone in some of those leaked pictures.

The FCC documents don’t tell us much about the device. It supports 802.11ac WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0, and NFC and works with AT&T’s 4G LTE network.
If this is truly the first Google-influenced superphone from Motorola, odds are we’ll see versions for other wireless networks as well. Motorola and Verizon typically have a pretty chummy relationship, but it’s been a while since Motorola released a smartphone for the largest carrier in the US.
via Droid Life and PhoneScoop

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.