Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

$$$

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2012
Are you simply going to pick my post apart by replying with: "that's not true, no, you're wrong, no, lower resolution benefits more people than higher resolution" or are you going to provide me with sources to your absurd claims/provide logical reasoning for your opinions?

Preferably the latter.

My post is 100% accurate. Are you going to ignore what I said for the 4th time now an just act all high and mighty?

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
My post is 100% accurate. Are you going to ignore what I said for the 4th time now an just act all high and mighty?

Provide sources to your claims. And explain to me logically how a lower resolution screen can benefit an end user in any sort of practical way.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Higher resolution screens don't slow down the device, can you cite where you got that information from?

Well, I thought the whole thing with ipad3 was that it had a much faster processor but essentially no performance increase due to the cpu/gpu overhead of the retina screen. Now finally with ipad4 and the 6x you have a performance gain from ipad2.

Had to look up pixel walk. No commentator has noted flicker on any ipad screen. Thats a reach. I you read web pages in portrait on the mini, you will have issues. We're talking 5-6 pt type. But I don't know how much 6 pt i want to read, retina or not. So I think the mini requires a shift to landscape usage--which is underscored by the bezel design.

There will be a retina mini next year. It will run an a6x and pack a gig of ram. It will cost around $429. Apple will keep the base mini to replace the ipad 2--imho

$$$

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2012
Provide sources to your claims. And explain to me logically how a lower resolution screen can benefit an end user in any sort of practical way.

Should I provide sources to tell you that the Earth is round and water is wet as well??

Seriously, grow up. If you want to be the one guy who goes against the grain, at least bring some hard evidence to back up your assertions.

Last edited by a moderator:

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
Should I provide sources to tell you that the Earth is round and water is wet as well??

Seriously, grow up. If you want to be the one guy who goes against the grain, at least bring some hard evidence to back up your assertions.

There's no need to. Because what you are arguing is blatantly wrong, everyone here realizes that its not even worth the effort? iPad 4 a superior chip set, its not slower than the iPad mini. And people have simply asked you to show where you got your information.. if you are not able to show where you heard such false information, then you're probably just randomly pulling them out of thin air. iPad mini is in no way superior to the retina iPad.

Last edited by a moderator:

$$$

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2012
iPad 4 a superior chip set, its not slower than the iPad mini.
Of course it's not slower than the Mini, I never said that it was. You seriously don't have a clue as to what you are talking about. And you clearly have not even read what I said.

I can't talk to children...

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
Higher resolution screens don't slow down the device, can you cite where you got that information from?

It takes significantly more processing power for a high resolution screen, this is nothing new.

So what exactly were you implying with this post, then?

Also, I'm not a child. As many have stated before -- when you have a tendency to just assume/create facts out of thin air, expect people to call you out on it.

ziggo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
This is just ridiculous! "A little bit more clarity"??? I just don't understand why people cannot admit that the mini screen is pure garbage.

I love Apple, I love my iPad 4, I love my MBP, but the Mini is an EPIC fail. Not an epic fail for Apple because they'll sell the heck out of them, but an EPIC fail for the consumer who is getting hosed by a substandard product.

Honestly, as someone whose owned every iPad minus the 4 and now owns a Mini I don't think it's THAT serious to name the Mini an EPIC fail because of its lack of retina for, what is essentially the first generation of a new Apple tablet variation. The mini is basically a scaled down iPad 2 (with better cameras) and seeing as how the iPad 2 was and IS popular enough to be sold and supported by Apple now 2 generations later speaks to popularity with consumers. I sold my iPad 3 and purchased a Mini and for me it's perfect. YES I do miss the retina display from time to time, but certainly not enough to not enjoy the device. I have 0 buyers remorse from my purchase and from the 2-3 people I know personally who also own one, they were well aware of what the Mini offered and lacked, and none of them feel like they were hosed by a substandard product. Hell I figure MOST people hear on these boards would be amongst those who are well and TRULY informed on Apple's history with its devices. NO first generation product Apple has released has had the whole kitchen sink thrown in, whether that be because of time/technological retraints or because they want to save something coveted for the next version is another debate entirely, but to say that all customers who choose the IPad mini are at some great disadvantage because of the lack of retin display is a bit presumptious

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I think the ipad mini is as revolutionary as the ipad. The ipad--at a pound and a half--feesl like s laptop replacement. The mini--at about a half pound--feels like a new device class. It is in many respects as capable as a pc, but you can hold it one had with almost no discernable heft. You might say "so what, the iphone does that already". But the iphone display is too small to really use for web searching, reading and more complex apps. A future ipad weighing in under a pound with reduced bezels might feel similarly transformative.

Iamthinking

Suspended
Jul 31, 2010
iPad mini is in no way superior to the retina iPad.

I would have to disagree. I have the ipad mini and an ipad4, and, while the ipad4 retina is a hell of a beautiful slab (and fast) it's a bit of a beast compared to the ipad mini. The mini finds itself coming along with me (fits in my jacket poket) most of the time, and the ipad4 sits idle 90% of the time.

When I do use the ipad4, it's great (much better than my ipad3 was), but the battery is totally drained after 4-5 hrs of heavy use (eg a game or even Skype). Then I have to find the big charger and wait at least 7-8hrs until its fully charged again.

On the other hand, the mini seems to get me through a full day without a problem, and if I forget to charge it overnight I still have enough charge to get me by, or I can find a PC USB port to charge it at some point in the day, and she's topped up in an hour or so.

I guess it depends on how you measure "superior", but to me, the mini is superior to my ipad4 in a number of ways.

Cheers,
Iamthinking

Ps I agree that one shouldn't need to provide links to prove that higher res/more CPU/GPu = more power requirements. It's pretty much a no-brainer at this point. You've got to be a bit of a newb to not know that! :)

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
i don't want it to get more heavy or thicker thats for sure!

amen!

----------

I would think Apple would price a 16GB retina Mini 2 at $399. That would fit in nicely with a 16GB iPad at $499. And the $299 32GB iPod Touch.

Apple is pretty shrewd in pricing the current Mini. There is a reason it is so hard to find 16GB Mini's. Its the least expensive tablet Apple makes and provides the lowest cost for first time buyers not currently within the iOS ecosystem. And Apple is using 2 year old technology to boot! There is so much more, even beyond retina, that Apple can offer in incrementally upgrades. Doubling the RAM. Or use of current CPU. Brilliant marketing.

I dont think pricing the mini with the ipad in mind would matter. Its the size and weight of the mini thats the draw. Get one with retina, and they can ask for a lot more.

I would take a retina mini over a IP4 and there are many here who would feel the same.

----------

The lack of retina is such a huge fail. I just bought the mini - but it's going to go back. I just opened the NY Times on the web on both my iPad 3 and the mini and the lack of retina is so glaring that it is almost painful.

Justify it all you want - but I'm shocked that Apple would release a product with "old" technology. Since when did they ever start taking steps backward in time?? Almost every other small tablet has a better screen from the Nexus to the Kindle Fire.

As much as I love the form factor, back this will go until there is a retina mini.

Your opinion is overblown. Its just not that bad.

----------

I wouldn't agree they compromised at all, and I definitely wouldn't agree this is old technology, as if they went into their barn of crap they threw out last year and cobbled something together and called it a mini. That's just simply not true.

The device is so much more than merely a display. For me the form factor is so incredible, and what didn't suffer as a result of this thin and lightweight device is quality materials and build. This device is simply wonderful, and it's the total package that makes it so.

As far as the screen goes, the one big benefit their keeping it at iPad 2 resolution ensured that when I brought this device home on day 1, I was able to load up all my old iPad gen 1 apps, and download a bunch of new ones that worked without any bars or scaling or anything odd at all on this display. They all just worked, and they worked on a device that amazes me still just how thin it is and how great it feels to hold. I love this form factor.

Don't get me wrong, I want an improved screen at some point, but I don't want to compromise on thinness, weight or battery life. Also, a new resolution means fragmentation and apps won't simply work on it beautifully day one, so we'll be stuck with this period in between when some (not all) app developers rush to upgrade their apps. If it gets a doubling, that would be great, but I've read enough to know that isn't possible without compromising thinness, battery life and weight (all) - then it just doesn't have the same magic I think this device does have, which is more than just a display. It's the whole package.

Well said!

----------

I won't consider a mini until it gets retina.

Then you are clearly not in the demographic for a mini. I'll bet even with a retina, you'll find fault.

flight

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
I want a retina-ready iPad mini - a die-shrink and bigger battery - but still keeping the non-retina display. I want to go a week before having to plug it in.

Gomff

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
I can't understand the clamour for retina screens, especially on the iPad mini. I have an iPhone 5 so I know what a retina screen looks like, but I have an iPad 2 and the resolution doesn't bother me at all. Just bought an iPad mini for my other half and I think it's a great device. I kind of wish it was mine instead of the iPad 2 because of the smaller form factor.

The standard resolution on an iPad 2 and mini is plenty good enough for me. Sure, next time I upgrade my iPad it will be a retina device since there will likely be no option but I was never tempted to upgrade to the iPad 3 when it came out, in spite of the retina screen. My eyesight isn't perfect but it's pretty good....I can make out pixels on the screen but that doesn't matter to me, as it doesn't at all get in the way of my comrehension of what I'm reading or looking at.

Apple did a great job of making the retina screen appeal to people with all the "gorgeous" and "magical" superlatives. But to me it's just good marketing.

TrackZ

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
There's no such thing as too soon for a mini retina/hardware update. I hope it comes in march. I'll happily buy it and sell off these minis my wife and I have. After two months of using the mini over my ipad 3 I'm getting to the point I can't stand looking at it. Love holding it though.

I'm almost wishing sometimes I would have kept the ipad 3 (sold it already on eBay) and returned this mini. Still have about 2 weeks on my BB return period and am debating what to do.

zbarsky

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2007
Bring on the Retina mini. I checked out the Mini for the first time today, and the display is pretty awful compared to Retina iPad. The screen size is great, as long as you aren't interested in reading PDF's. I also compared the Nexus 7, which looked like a flimsy piece of crap with a screen that was too small. Nexus also seemed strangely blurry despite it's higher ppi, with muted colors.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
don't get me wrong, I love retina its stunning but retina devices don't do what is mostly on the web well, lets face it 99% of the web is not retina optimised, images, videos look blurry…its like trying to watch 720p on a 1080p TV and the percentage of people with retina equipped devices is hardly any, and what could happen is a lot of people won't bother switching the same way they didn't switch from DVD to blu-ray...

so why are you people so bent on getting retina iPad mini?

having used the current iPad mini I love the screen, sharp and displaying 1 to 1 pixel ratio correctly, so I think the next refresh would be better if they made it more powerful/slimmer or whatever and improved but kept the same screen which is already awesome and not get retina straight way, what do you think?

this article said it well
http://www.extremetech.com/electronics/139612-the-ipad-minis-display-isnt-retina-but-its-still-good-enough

"It’s clear that Retina displays are headed for all of Apple’s products, but this transitional period still needs non-Retina screens around."

Totally agree with you. I want a mini with an EVEN LIGHTER body, a less reflective screen, and no heat what so ever. That is not possible with retina in the next two yrs IMHO. I hope apple sticks to their guns and make the mini lighter! Not necessarily retina.

ljmjag

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2005
amen!

----------

I dont think pricing the mini with the ipad in mind would matter. Its the size and weight of the mini thats the draw. Get one with retina, and they can ask for a lot more.

I would take a retina mini over a IP4 and there are many here who would feel the same.

----------

----------

Thanks for clearing that up for me with your insightful and detailed analysis.

Why don't you try opening up the NY Times website on an iPad 3 or 4 and a mini at the same time? Then come back to me and tell me that it is not that bad.

You can read distinctly smaller text on the iPad 3 or 4 then you can on the mini as a result of the retina display. You have to magnify the page on the mini to make the NY Times readable.

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011

It's an interesting point, and I understand the logic. In a way, it (the theory that people will pay more for form factor) is being tested right now with the iPod 5. I think Apple priced the iPod 5 with this theory in mind. Personally, I don't think it's working. If I had to choose between a 32GB retina $300 iPod and a 16Gb non-retina $330 Mini, I'm picking the Mini. I'm guessing 4th quarter sales figures, if they are ever made available, will back me up. At the very least, Apple is giving people the choice for what best fits their needs.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
amen!

----------

----------

----------

Thanks for clearing that up for me with your insightful and detailed analysis.

Why don't you try opening up the NY Times website on an iPad 3 or 4 and a mini at the same time? Then come back to me and tell me that it is not that bad.

You can read distinctly smaller text on the iPad 3 or 4 then you can on the mini as a result of the retina display. You have to magnify the page on the mini to make the NY Times readable.

Never said the retina was not good only that the lack of retina on the mini is not that big of a deal.

Yours and other extreme opinions are simply overblown. The ipad mini is not for you.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Bring on the Retina mini. I checked out the Mini for the first time today, and the display is pretty awful compared to Retina iPad. The screen size is great, as long as you aren't interested in reading PDF's. I also compared the Nexus 7, which looked like a flimsy piece of crap with a screen that was too small. Nexus also seemed strangely blurry despite it's higher ppi, with muted colors.

I read PDFs on my mini all the time, it's the reason I bought the device (hate reading on my laptop or desktop) - thought I might have to go with one of the Android 7" devices to read PDFs, but the mini does a great job, I'm very impressed. It even displays double page scans from old books I load up on the mini. Goodreader is an excellent PDF viewing app I would highly recommend - it has a great crop feature for those PDFs with a lot of whitespace around the text when you want to zoom in automatically on every page without setting it for each individual page.

Totally agree with you. I want a mini with an EVEN LIGHTER body, a less reflective screen, and no heat what so ever. That is not possible with retina in the next two yrs IMHO. I hope apple sticks to their guns and make the mini lighter! Not necessarily retina.

I think Apple did a great job with the mini and have focussed a lot of attention on the device's most differentiating feature: the form factor, and with that they've (I think) defined the mini to be a smaller, thinner and lightweight iPad, so I think they won't do retina until they can keep to the essence of the mini: thin, lightweight and great battery life. That's my thinking because if they were to launch a mini that is fatter, weighs (significantly) more and loses battery life, then it's not honouring what makes the mini so wonderful and unique, and I think Apple is clever enough to realise what they've created and won't ruin the mini with a retina update that goes against what we all love most about the device today.

Last edited:

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Be honest, you will still buy it even it's slightly heavier and thicker.
Most people would because out here EVERYTHING is rationalized in the most hypocritical way.

iPad3 Retina = "Youre weak if you cant carry an extra 4oz. Retina is essential!"

iPad Mini = "Retina isn't essential! Its all about weight"

iPad Mini Retina = "Youre weak if you cant carry an extra 4oz. Retina is essential!"

In the end we'd likely see the iPad Mini with Retina take over the $329 pricepoint and the original iPad Mini drop to $229. And when given that choice then Id bet a large majority of people will claim the extra price and weight are worth it for retina.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.