Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frocco

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
Hello,

Is it worth getting a base MP over a new 27" iMac?
I know that the MP is out dated, but can't you add USB3, better video card?
Is the iMac i7 that much faster than the base MP?

I have the iMac on order, but am having second thoughts.
This would be my only computer, so I really can't wait.

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
Hello,

Nope, base MP is a total ripoff.
Get a refurbished 2010/2009 MP or get one via ebay.

Depending which iMac you mean, it is faster than the base MP.
WHat are you doing with your Mac? For most of the tasks, the iMac is fine.
Serious video/sound editing or the need for several HDDs/SSDs is the only reason to buy a Mac Pro over an iMac.

pyzon

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Nope, base MP is a total ripoff.
Get a refurbished 2010/2009 MP or get one via ebay.

Depending which iMac you mean, it is faster than the base MP.
WHat are you doing with your Mac? For most of the tasks, the iMac is fine.
Serious video/sound editing or the need for several HDDs/SSDs is the only reason to buy a Mac Pro over an iMac.

Not sure about the ripoff part, refurb quad2.8 is 1800, refurb 3.2 is 2100, new 3.2 at best buy is 2200 and other resellers.....eBay well YOU take all the risk there......

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
Not sure about the ripoff part, refurb quad2.8 is 1800, refurb 3.2 is 2100, new 3.2 at best buy is 2200 and other resellers.....eBay well YOU take all the risk there......

Thats 400Mhz more for 400$ more. That's all.
You will hardly feel that little speedbump in real life performance.

I bought a hell lot if stuff from ebay, also my current Mac Pro, and never had any problems.

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
You can add those things. USB3 you may not need but better video card definitely a worthwhile option.

If you already have a monitor you are happy with, I would say go for the MacPro

B

Hello,

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
It totally depends on what you are wanting to do with it. If you want to just have a quick computer than it is not worth it at all. The Quad i7 in the iMac (if upgraded) is faster than all quad Xeon Mac Pro's. Almost as fast as the 6-core. The GPU (if upgraded to 680mx) is also a good bit better than the upgraded 5870 if you you don't want to hack a PC card. If you need a Mac Pro you need a Mac Pro but right now personally I would buy zero Mac Pro. Not until they are upgraded (if). You are paying top dollar for 2009 tech.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Hello,

Depends on what kind of a computer you want. I'll use myself as an example. I don't like shiny iMac screens nor do I want an all-in-one for the numerous reasons usually quoted against them.

I use my monitor for two computers and might get a Dell so I can share with three. Blu-ray is a friend of mine and I use lots of hard drives. I would like a workable USB3 solutions but also need FW800.

For those reasons I wouldn't trade my 2010 Mac Pro 3.2 straight across for a new maxed out iMac even though the iMac is "faster".

pyzon

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Thats 400Mhz more for 400$ more. That's all.
You will hardly feel that little speedbump in real life performance.

I bought a hell lot if stuff from ebay, also my current Mac Pro, and never had any problems.

sure you can get a 2.8 refurb but as soon as you touch the processor you are out of warranty, so you are stuck with that either until warranty runs out or you dont care for the warranty.

refurb 3.2 is 2100, new 3.2 is 2200 thats $100 diff, so a base new MP is hardly a rip-off, if you recommend getting a refurb for $100 less? there is no 2.8 base anymore.

buying off ebay is a risk full stop...no matter how much you candy cane it with 'no problems for me stories'.

plenty of people have been lucky but when it comes to tossing up to and beyond $1000 on eBay - I leave that risk for others.

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
sure you can get a 2.8 refurb but as soon as you touch the processor you are out of warranty, so you are stuck with that either until warranty runs out or you dont care for the warranty.

refurb 3.2 is 2100, new 3.2 is 2200 thats $100 diff, so a base new MP is hardly a rip-off, if you recommend getting a refurb for $100 less? there is no 2.8 base anymore.

buying off ebay is a risk full stop...no matter how much you candy cane it with 'no problems for me stories'.

plenty of people have been lucky but when it comes to tossing up to and beyond $1000 on eBay - I leave that risk for others.

That's something the OP gotta decide.
Fot myself, I consider the base MP as ripoff.
Depending on what you are using it, it isn't any better than an iMac.

rezwits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
This is why I am getting a new Mac Pro

If you buy a new Mac Pro in 2013, say for about $3700. You will be able to sell it for easily $2700+ on eBay for the next 5 years no problem.

Basically, it will retain it's value big time. Other Macs hold there value too but not nearly as well. Regular PC?! forget it. They loose 50-66.667% of there value the moment you buy it.

So don't forget that when you purchase. I mean it really depends on how much eBaying you do. If you get a used Mac Pro for $1200-1500, the price will drop a little depending on what features it drops as time goes buy, speed is the only premium. So as long as it runs the latest OS (ML 10.8.2), it's a great Mac Pro, you just don't get the speed premium. But see if you spend the $3700, until Apple makes a new one the price will be only -$500 or so less on the eBay market, so around $3200 until that speed fades away and the model gets old. This is why I am getting a Mac Pro, it can sit and work, and RETAIN...

but I guess either way all in all you're not going to really get ripped off in the end, it's just how ever much you spend is however much you spend, just sell and go on...

Laters...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.