Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
I'm getting a new 27 inch iMac as soon as they're available in stores, and I definitely need a backlit keyboard. I'm just wondering if Apple might be releasing one at some point as I like their minimalistic design and usual aluminum enclosures. Or does anyone know of a keyboard out now that's Appleesque that is backlit. TYIA.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
No number pad, so not that different from the current Apple BT KB.

The OP specifically asked for backlit keyboard, that's what this is. USB charging is also a nice improvement.. can't stand swapping out AA batteries on the existing one.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I'm getting a new 27 inch iMac as soon as they're available in stores, and I definitely need a backlit keyboard. I'm just wondering if Apple might be releasing one at some point as I like their minimalistic design and usual aluminum enclosures. Or does anyone know of a keyboard out now that's Appleesque that is backlit. TYIA.

I know this might be a selfish reply, but why do you need a backlit keyboard? Once you know where all the keys are, you can definitely use it even in the dark. But then again, I've been using a keyboard since I was 9 years old, so I understand people who aren't that attached to keyboards wanting to look at the keyboard.

I would see a backlit keyboard workable on a wired Apple keyboard, but not a wireless one.

If you look at the way Apple operates, they always cater to the masses and apparently no one is complaining about not having a backlit keyboard on the external keyboard.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
If you look at the way Apple operates, they always cater to the masses and apparently no one is complaining about not having a backlit keyboard on the external keyboard.

Really? Then why do they make backlit keyboards on MacBooks?

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I know this might be a selfish reply, but why do you need a backlit keyboard? Once you know where all the keys are, you can definitely use it even in the dark. But then again, I've been using a keyboard since I was 9 years old, so I understand people who aren't that attached to keyboards wanting to look at the keyboard.

I would see a backlit keyboard workable on a wired Apple keyboard, but not a wireless one.

I personally would love an Apple backlit keyboard, my MBAs backlit keyboard has spoiled me.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere

Because the keyboard is not external? Also they have more room to fit an extra layer for the lights.

Apple always looks at the bottom line. If it was needed, they would do it. They don't make random decisions, it's all very strategic.

Also I'm curious as to how many people use the backlight on the MBP, I surely don't. It makes it a bit hotter to use.

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010

I don't need it, I just like the option. I can type fine without looking at the keyboard, but in the past I've had to get up close if I can't see a special key. The letters I remember, but the F keys or the number keys (no number pad) always give me a hard time when I'm trying to type fast.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
Because the keyboard is not external? Also they have more room to fit an extra layer for the lights.

Ok, your statements aren't making any sense whatsoever. The benefits of backlit keyboard are the same, whether it's an external or laptop keyword. There are no more space constraints to fit LED backlighting in an external keyboard versus MacBook Air.

I, for one, would love my desktop keyboard to be backlit.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Ok, your statements aren't making any sense whatsoever. The benefits of backlit keyboard are the same, whether it's an external or laptop keyword. There are no more space constraints to fit LED backlighting in an external keyboard versus MacBook Air.

I, for one, would love my desktop keyboard to be backlit.

Making sense and being ideal are two different things. What are you trying to say?

Point is, if Apple wanted to make one, they would.

Apple is moving towards wireless, that's why the iMacs include Wireless (sans numpad) keyboards and mice. Unless there are special LED lights that don't take up much energy are being developed, Apple would not include them in the wireless keyboards.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
Unless there are special LED lights that don't take up much energy are being developed, Apple would not include them in the wireless keyboards.

There is no technological challenge whatsoever in including LED backlighting in a small form-factor wireless keyboard.. as evidenced by Logitech keyboard and Apple's own MacBook Air.

It's likely Apple is just trying to shave a few bucks off the BT KB production cost. You are wrong in thinking that every little thing that Apple does is some part of grand thought out strategy.

Last edited:

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
I think the reason why they didn't make a backlit keyboard for the desktop Macs is because desktops are usually in one place and not moving around. And in that case, they are usually in a room with light available.

The Macbooks have backlits to use in a dim room - the dim light is probably from the front presentation screen (with main lights off) - probably would not have a presentation with people using desktops to take notes - and people would probably not use their computers in a totally pitch black area as it would hurt their eyes (only would use usually in a dim or fully lit room)

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
There is no technological challenge whatsoever in including LED backlighting in a small form-factor wireless keyboard.. as evidenced by Logitech keyboard and Apple's own MacBook Air.

It's likely Apple is just trying to shave a few bucks off the BT KB production cost. You are wrong in thinking that every little thing that Apple does is some part of grand thought out strategy.

Who do you know from Apple?

I have many friends who have worked on their design team at Cupertino, so I would take their word for it.

Also Apple is a design centric company, with principles ranging from the Bauhaus teachings to German minimalism. Compared to many other companies who look at profit first then design, Apple is a very different animal.

With Apple, the Design team always triumphs the engineering team (it's the other way around with other companies).

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
It might be nice as an ipad accessory, but do you see yourself using a desktop in the dark often? I can see the case for a laptop where you can be anywhere, less so for a desktop which should be in a lit room most of the time.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007

Because people use laptops in all different types of areas and some of those might not be well lit nor do you sometimes have any control of the lighting where you are. External keyboards are typically used at a desk or work space where there is usually adequate lighting.

I don't see Apple doing this. It's not like people aren't going to buy Macs simply because of this. MacBooks are different. People indeed might not buy MacBooks if they didn't have backlit keyboards. My suggestion to the OP... buy a lamp (seriously, I'm not being a smart ass).

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
Who do you know from Apple?

I have many friends who have worked on their design team at Cupertino, so I would take their word for it. Also Apple is a design centric company, with principles ranging from the Bauhaus teachings to German minimalism. Compared to many other companies who look at profit first then design, Apple is a very different animal. <blah blah blah>

No one, but neither do you. You keep pontificating about Apple being a design-centric company, as if it was some kind of deep revelation that no one knew about.. However, you fail to explain what in your opinion would constitute deviation from Apple's design principles, if they added backlighting to BT keyboard. I am looking at Logitech Apple keyboard, and it's perfectly well designed. MacBook Air keyboard is perfectly well designed. This has nothing to do with "design".

Because people use laptops in all different types of areas and some of those might not be well lit nor do you sometimes have any control of the lighting where you are. External keyboards are typically used at a desk or work space where there is usually adequate lighting.

I have my desktop in a den, and sometimes I like to use it during the early morning and late night without turning on the room lights. I like to keep my desk minimalistic and I don't want a desk lamp. Clearly, there are reasons why some people want this feature from their keyboards - else we wouldn't see Logitech, Microsoft and many others making them.

I don't understand why people keep arguing that just because they don't need backlighting in their keyboards, no one else should need it either!

My suggestion to the OP... buy a lamp (seriously, I'm not being a smart ass)

That's silly. OP can buy one of several backlit keyboards by other vendors. I personally will be getting Logitech EasySwitch keyboard when it ships.

Last edited:

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
This thread clearly documents why apple community is often branded as sheeps, wtf are those posts about no need for bl keyboard? I do have mb aor and imac, if there was bl kb for imac that would be awesome. Those advising lamp - is that so hard to imagine situation when no light is possoble? Omg, bunch of self centric sheeps here... Miss days apple was computer company without those all knowing sheeps

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
No one, but neither do you. You keep pontificating about Apple being a design-centric company, as if it was some kind of deep revelation that no one knew about.. However, you fail to explain what in your opinion would constitute deviation from Apple's design principles, if they added backlighting to BT keyboard. I am looking at Logitech Apple keyboard, and it's perfectly well designed. MacBook Air keyboard is perfectly well designed. This has nothing to do with "design".

I have my desktop in a den, and sometimes I like to use it during the early morning and late night without turning on the room lights. I like to keep my desk minimalistic and I don't want a desk lamp. Clearly, there are reasons why some people want this feature from their keyboards - else we wouldn't see Logitech, Microsoft and many others making them.

I don't understand why people keep arguing that just because they don't need backlighting in their keyboards, no one else should need it either!

That's silly. OP can buy one of several backlit keyboards by other vendors. I personally will be getting Logitech EasySwitch keyboard when it ships.

No one's reading what you wrote.

Katieg-fm

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
Alberta
It might be nice as an ipad accessory, but do you see yourself using a desktop in the dark often? I can see the case for a laptop where you can be anywhere, less so for a desktop which should be in a lit room most of the time.

I use my mini in my living room as home theatre often. I would love backlit apple keyboard for when I am switching videos, etc with lights down. I would also like easy Bluetooth switching do I could use it for m iPad too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.