Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tensiondeadache

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Southern California
Ok, chances are if you are in this sub-forum, there is something about the iPhone you cannot accept in your life-what is it?

Mine (this is specific to the iPhone 5, BTW):

1. The build quality. Yes, its too light and thin. I know this because mine bent at the lower volume button after three weeks. Not very noticeable, but once you see it, you see it every time you look at the phone. I had specks of paint chipping off of the chamfered edge within days, also. The exterior and frame of the phone is simply to fragile.

2. The persisting "home button." You would think Apple would want to be on the cutting edge here, with at least a capacitive button or gesture controls. Having an moving, mechanical button seems pretty outdated.

3. The battery life-I can't use an iPhone without a Mophie Juice Pack, another $100 purchase on top of the already most expensive smartphone on the world market. With the Mophie, the iPhone has roughly the same weight and dimensions of my Lumia 920, with a smaller screen.

I'd love to go back to the iPhone, as every other thing I have is Apple, but won't until they fix these deficiencies.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
I'd agree with your thinness comment. The way their "innovation" is going, there won't be anything left to grip let alone use in the future. Second is the battery life - utterly, utterly appalling. But this problem has been rife in Apple products for years. My iPhone doesn't last until 4PM after charging all night - that's with the dreadful Siri turned off, BT off... most things actually. They've got a lot to sort but then again their audience has changed. Once it was for Mac and Apple fans - now it's for little girls in the States and emerging markets. Guess what they need? An Apple on the back.

flight

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
I'm not the smartest gadget user, but I don't know if a capacitive button is discoverable enough for some users. I was playing with a Windows 8 touchscreen device at a store and could not figure out how to go back to the tile screen after opening an app. It was only after looking it up online at home that I found that touching the logo below the display was the equivalent to a home button press.

Of course, since everyone has an iPhone, this may not be problem.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
mostly the screen size for me...and the static app buttons are dull now. i will concede that the app store has a higher quality of apps over the play store. some of the design work for android apps is piss poor.

tensiondeadache

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Southern California
mostly the screen size for me...and the static app buttons are dull now. i will concede that the app store has a higher quality of apps over the play store. some of the design work for android apps is piss poor.

I'm enjoying Windows Phone as the solution to the shortcomings of both Android and iOS. Its tweakable enough, but still has a cared for, curated feel. I went from having 150-250 apps on an iPhone for over a year to WP's limited selection. I do miss a lot of iOS apps, no question, but the phone and OS make up for it.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Despite babying mine the edges began to chip and the back began to scratch, I can't stand that physical home button, I've had to replace 4 iPhones because that button has died.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
The fact that there's only 1 physical home button which requires us to press many times during our normal day-to-day usage has to change. It's also the component that spoils more easily, because everytime we need to close the app, we need to press it. Everytime we need to multi-task, we need to double-tap it. Everytime we need to bring up the music controls in the lockscreen, we need to double-tap it also. Apple needs to change this, and fast.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
-100% agree about the physical home button. In fact, I was hoping it'd be gone by the iPad 3rd Gen, but I'm less bothered by the iPad home button because I use gesture controls. I actually love five-finger gesturing to get to the home screen. Feels great and is super fast. I don't have to reach down to the home button.

-Screen size was probably the biggest factor for me. I actually don't mind the conservative redesign and understand Apple's thought process to continue branding the iPhone as a recognizable phone, but that 4" taller screen is, to me, a joke. I still find it awkwardly reminiscent of holding a chocolate bar when I use it. Not to mention, less screen to work with and type on.

-iOS. Not just iOS 6, but iOS itself. Keyboard, namely, is still unchanged after all these years. It desperately needs an upgrade. At the present moment, the competition is offering faster, better, smarter, more intuitive methods of typing. Apple is offering nothing to combat this. Absolutely nothing. Likewise for toggles and easier access to Settings. The Settings menu is, in my opinion, a mess. I always have to look very hard to find where I want to go. Many other gripes with the software...

-Notification light. Please.

That's all I can think of for now... but here's my thread titled: "What Would Make You Return to the iPhone?" which I think has more. People, myself included, in that thread aren't even asking for much.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1501886/

Despite having converted and now throwing my support behind Android, I am willing to return to the iPhone if the hardware and software was right. Anyone else? And if so, what would that entail?

This isn't a wishlist, so try not to post unrealistic desires. Or to phrase my question another way: what's the most minimal changes you would require to return to the iPhone?

Here's mine...

Hardware

-I don't think I can accept anything smaller than a 4.3" screen. I think anywhere between 4.3-4.6 is the sweet spot, for me. Needless to say, it needs to get wider too.

-I think I would need Apple to finally go with a capacitive or an on-screen home button. I've been spoiled by the Nexus experience, and to some degree it's laboring to have to depress the home button now. Plus, it just feels antiquated. Something about the digital button versus the analog button is more futuristic. I'd feel like I'd be taking a step back. I don't want to have to deal with convincing Apple Geniuses that my home button is acting up (I've been turned away before because I couldn't replicate the issue at the time of my meeting). It'd be nice to move past these little frustrations.

-Depending on how they manage the 4.3" screen, whether they actually enlarge the device to some degree or use up less bezel, I may or may not require the sleep/wake button to be on the side. As devices get larger, putting it on the top is becoming a no-no. The HTC One X, for example, is horridly cumbersome to wake and put to sleep. For those worried about accidentally hitting the volume buttons, I really think people can learn to adjust. Also, you can offset the positions by putting the sleep button higher (like it is on the Nexus 4; it's a little too high, actually) on the right side. Again, this isn't necessarily a deal breaker if they don't, but it'll depend on how they manage that 4.3" screen.

-Notification light. The benefits of this puppy is enormous. They could design it so that it's part of the aesthetics of the iPhone. Make the home button (or at least the square app shape on the home button) be the light. Imagine the home button (or again, the square shape) glowing! That would be beautiful.

That's really all hardware-wise. I don't think these are extreme requirements, especially the ~4.3" screen.

Software

-First and foremost, for the love of god, update the iOS keyboard. It's in desperate need of upgrading. It's been years. It's time. Give us upper and lower case signifiers, give us control over our own dictionary (please!), give us some sort of suggestion bar (Blackberry came up with their own way, why can't Apple?), give us long-presses for secondary symbols, improve the autocorrection, let us change the size of the keyboard (again, this doesn't have to be complicated. You can model it after Swiftkey, which simply offers: "Small, Medium, Large." Not difficult!). The keyboard experience was one of the main reasons I was driven away from the iPhone. It would do wonders in bringing me back if they make the right and necessary improvements.

-I want to see easier access to settings. Do we need widgets? Not necessarily. I've always said, most widgets are overrated, but the little more simpler widgets... they go a long way! Things like toggles, or quick access to settings. Apple could so easily implement this, that it's baffling they haven't yet. I'm talking about easy access to switching sound profiles, switching the lock screen on/off (I shouldn't need to input my lock screen code every single time I need to use my phone at home), switching WiFi/GPS/Bluetooth, etc. Again, these aren't insane requests. Just make things a bit more accessible. I'm sure Apple can find a way with or without widgets.

-Dynamic icons. Similar vein, these don't have to become full blown widgets. It'd be nice to see an accurate weather reading on the weather icon (this is the example used the most). At this point and time, I don't see why I'd trade the dynamics of home screens for an app drawer.

-Improved notification center and status bar. I still dislike the banner drop down. Why can't Apple utilize the space in the status bar? I don't mean copy Android with a little icon, I mean, why can't the banner simply roll onto the status bar area? Yes, it'll be smaller, but the point is to just alert the user. Why not remove the carrier sign (or in the case of the iPad Wifi, the "iPad" sign -- why do I need this there?) on the upper left? That space could be put to better use for notifications, etc. Also, please allow us to swipe away single notifications, which is a very simple request.

-Going to add upgrades to Mail and Safari. Would need to see full threaded messages in Mail. Would love to see my entire mailbox, too, ready at my finger tips (every time I load up my "Sent" mailbox, it has to actually load it. With Gmail, it's already preloaded). Give me more than 3 weeks worth of old mail, too. Safari could use more tabs. OR allow us to set default Mail/Browser apps.

-Allow for more sharing through other apps. Yes, people use things other than Facebook and Instagram and Twitter.

I've run out of steam, but I think there are a few more things that I'd need Apple to change before I return. I'll edit as they come to me. Please add yours!

I'm also going to throw a curveball. This is neither here nor there, but I'll mention it anyway...

Philosophy

I'd like to see Apple adopt a more humbling approach to their keynotes and presentations. A lot of it is condescending or disingenuous. We live in a fact-checking world, and making claims that they offer the world's thinnest phone or trying to insinuate that one handed use is foolish beyond anything 4" just won't cut it anymore. Millions of S3 owners can attest to somehow surviving with a much larger phone, as can others.

It'd be nice if they brought down their unlocked phone prices, too. Yes, yes, they need the profit for all that R&D, but don't forget they're also somehow sitting on a bank with reserves over $100 billion dollars...

There are probably other little things too... like stop withholding main features in software updates (iPhone 4 and SIRI)... or touting Beta programs as the main features... or holding true to incremental upgrades. Why play the slow game? This ties into being overly concerned with profit margins. Give us the specs people want.

I'd return in a heartbeat if Apple can hit these points.

----------

Also would like to share this:

The jailbreak community is figuring out iOS faster than Apple is. Something similar would be so easy for Apple to implement.

Last edited:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Also would like to share this:

YouTube: video

The jailbreak community is figuring out iOS faster than Apple is. Something similar would be so easy for Apple to implement.

Hadn't seen that--very cool, would fix so many problems with iOS in one fell swoop. Unfortunately know Apple, if we are going to see any of those changes, they'll probably parcel them out over the next 2-3 versions of iOS.

I don't find much unacceptable on the iOS/iPhone, rather more undesirable. Mostly, iOS needs a lot more functionality added.

I know I'm in the minority here but I actually don't mind the size of the device. Yes, a little bit bigger screen would be better but not a deal breaker. I rarely web browse on my phone (usually have my iPad with me) and value one-handed usability more. When using my Nexus 4, reaching the top with a thumb is a bit of a stretch--thankfully don't have to do it too often thanks to the back button. Of the apps I use, added screen real estate isn't necessary. I'm not saying it's better, just that it works for me.

I also like the style/design/materials but understand this is purely personal preference. I also don't baby my phones and understand there will be some 'wear and tear' as a result. I pay extra for Applecare+ knowing I'll probably be replacing it twice in it's lifetime. For me the extra expense is worth removing the hassle of warrant issues or constantly worrying about damaging my phone. I have a warrant issue on my Nexus 4 and am not looking forward to dealing with Google to get it resolved.

I agree regarding the home button to a degree. I like being able to wake the device with the home button rather than reach on the side for the power button--find it much more convenient when using right-handed. But that's the extent of it's usefulness. Like Onethecouchagain, I love using gestures on my iPad and only use the home button to wake the device. The on screen buttons on my Nexus 4 are work great for everything else.

I find the battery life on my iPhone 5 much better than my Nexus 4 and from everything I seen and read, battery performance is as good as or better than all but a few phones on the market right now (Note, Razr Maxx come to mind but they both have huge batteries) so not sure what you guys expect. Considering the tiny 1440 mAh battery in the iPhone, it's actually one of the best performers on the market. If you're a heavy user than yes, having either a removable or huge onboard battery would be beneficia but this really isn't an iPhone flaw as much as it's a problem throughout the industry.

Last edited:

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
At this stage of the game, I need certain things to happen in order for me to buy any new iPhones...

Get rid of the home button. It is the worst designed piece of the phone, and it has been since day 1.

Screen size- I need a larger screen. Doesn't need to be 5.5 but I need maybe 4.5 or so. My eyes suck. Probably from looking at phone screens all day.

Camera- the iPhone camera is awesome. But the camera on the 5 is not noticeably better than the 4S. For a "new generation" I found this to be unacceptable. I admit I have a high standard there, but it's Apple who set that standard in the first place.

iOS needs to enter this decade. I am not talking about it's look, but rather it's options. I need toggles for my wifi, bluetooth, etc. I need icon notifications in my status bar, or at least a notification system that doesn't suck. I need some sort of live tile or widget option for certain apps. I am not a huge fan of widgets, but I do love the WP8 tiles. Either way I just need some icons to give me information. Currently the calendar is the only icon that gives me relevant information. The clock, weather, etc could be so much better. Constantly opening and closing apps is cumbersome when you could just have certain info that's important to you always displayed where you want it.

Battery. Seriously, enough of this thinner and lighter crap. I want a battery that doesn't suck. I want to be able to go a good 20 hours without charging, with my normal use. Currently I can't even get 10.

I can dream!

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Despite babying mine the edges began to chip and the back began to scratch, I can't stand that physical home button, I've had to replace 4 iPhones because that button has died.

And we have people proclaiming that kind of thing never happens--even after admitting it has happened to people they know.

It happened to me on my iPhone 4. I don't think the button was engineered for the greatly expanded usage that came with iOS 4 and higher. Perhaps it is now OK on the iPhone 5; I wouldn't know I skipped that one. But when you have one that is semi-response it is annoying as hell.

Michael

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Ok, chances are if you are in this sub-forum, there is something about the iPhone you cannot accept in your life-what is it?

Mine (this is specific to the iPhone 5, BTW):

1. The build quality. Yes, its too light and thin. I know this because mine bent at the lower volume button after three weeks. Not very noticeable, but once you see it, you see it every time you look at the phone. I had specks of paint chipping off of the chamfered edge within days, also. The exterior and frame of the phone is simply to fragile.

2. The persisting "home button." You would think Apple would want to be on the cutting edge here, with at least a capacitive button or gesture controls. Having an moving, mechanical button seems pretty outdated.

3. The battery life-I can't use an iPhone without a Mophie Juice Pack, another $100 purchase on top of the already most expensive smartphone on the world market. With the Mophie, the iPhone has roughly the same weight and dimensions of my Lumia 920, with a smaller screen.

I'd love to go back to the iPhone, as every other thing I have is Apple, but won't until they fix these deficiencies.

I saw this thread and wanted to comment on two of your dislikes.

1. I don't know about the build quality of the 5 since I still own the 4S.

2. I understand why many think that the home button is almost obsolete or unnecessary, but it is a physical and functional piece of hardware that is instrumental to portions of the OS. In addition to taking the user back to the home screen, it also serves to facilitate the taking of screen shots without the need of an additional app, it activates the assistant features of the OS, and if something happens with the phone, it also serves as a means to reset it. With a capacitive home button that is software-based, the ability for a person to attempt fixes would not be possible and taking the phone in for something that should be easily fixed at home would be ridiculous.

3. I have always experienced good battery life with my phone even though I know others rely more heavily on theirs than I do on mine. I am not a power user, so I guess my comments on the battery life are more subjective in this regard, but I rarely have to charge my phone more than once in a day.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I'll give you point 2 as I agree. But too light and thin? This thing feels like the future of phone design, not fragile at all. And the battery is insanely good (unless you're always just roaming around on cellular).

Mine:

iOS 6
Home button
Smaller screen

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I'll give you point 2 as I agree. But too light and thin? This thing feels like the future of phone design, not fragile at all. And the battery is insanely good (unless you're always just roaming around on cellular).

Mine:

iOS 6
Home button
Smaller screen

Not all of us can be connected to wifi all the time unfortunately. So battery life on data is important. I'm not saying other phones are better than the iPhone 5 in that regard, just pointing that out.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I thought Apple missed a trick with the small screen size and lack of any significant advances in iOS 6. I feel that they are, for the forseeable future locked into that screen size, IMHO, a slightly wider screen would have been perfect. That is just my opinion and preferences though, others mmv.

Last edited:

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Sigh... Where to begin!?

No disrespect but the iPhone is rapidly becoming the Fisher Price of smartphones.

Let me preface my comments by saying I've owned all iPhones except for the iPhone 5; thus I'm very qualified to speak on this subject.

I've been gone from the iPhone since July and have experimented with the HTC One X and currently have the SG3.

Firstly, why is the current iPhone named 5!? No seriously, why!? It's the sixth iPhone and should have been called such or just renamed iPhone.

This tiny oversight along with renaming the iPad 3 simply iPad are to me, the first gaffs in Mr. Cooks tenure. Neither make any sense but guess what they're the names they chose anyway... Inquiring minds would love to know what was Apple thinking!? So now, iPhone 5 is on iOS 6... Yeah that makes a lot of sense.

Choose any point from the Samsung commercials and I'll be happy to expound.

- Headphone jack on the bottom, who does this benefit!? It's a silly move and one Apple did just tout a new feature.
- Deja, deja, deja vu, design wise Apple has essentially released the same phone 3 times in a row.
- I'm psyched!!! Who cares that the port is now all digital and that Apple makes the coolest adapters, meanwhile they've alienated millions of users and to add insult to injury are charging for the adapter.
- This is the line for apps, right honey!? Essentially, that's all the iPhone is, one big app drawer. I hardly ever go to my app drawer on Android, thanks to widgets, world renowned notifications, easy toggles, and a much, much, much more sophisticated OS overall. The iPhones OS by and large has been the same since 2007, that's 5 years with no major innovation/renovation... Sheesh, how patient are we supposed to be with Apple!?
- NFC, Haptic, LED Notifications, Bluetooth sharing, OS file system, etc... These are basic features that iOS users will never even get a whiff of; poor shame.

Aside from the commercial and of my own accord I found Apple quality control to get worse with each addition of the iPhone. The 5 has been no exception.

I agree with everyone about the home button; it's tired and needs to be put out of its misery already.

I'm never giving up Live Wallpapers, Widgets, Customizable Keyboards, Ability to Swype/Flow, FoxFi, NFC, and the other functional features that dog walk the iPhone, you'd have to be crazy!?

Overall, Apple isn't listening and at this point I really believe they've boxed themselves in and can't innovate for whatever reason.

As mentioned at the outset, the iPhone will be equated to users who want a "basic" smartphone and Android will be for users who require a "deluxe" smartphone.

I got tired of Apple trying to shove the same phone down my throat and I did something about it, very glad to tell you that I'm a proud SG3 user as of right now!!!

tensiondeadache

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Southern California
I saw this thread and wanted to comment on two of your dislikes.

1. I don't know about the build quality of the 5 since I still own the 4S.

2. I understand why many think that the home button is almost obsolete or unnecessary, but it is a physical and functional piece of hardware that is instrumental to portions of the OS. In addition to taking the user back to the home screen, it also serves to facilitate the taking of screen shots without the need of an additional app, it activates the assistant features of the OS, and if something happens with the phone, it also serves as a means to reset it. With a capacitive home button that is software-based, the ability for a person to attempt fixes would not be possible and taking the phone in for something that should be easily fixed at home would be ridiculous.

3. I have always experienced good battery life with my phone even though I know others rely more heavily on theirs than I do on mine. I am not a power user, so I guess my comments on the battery life are more subjective in this regard, but I rarely have to charge my phone more than once in a day.

The build quality is night and day between 4S/5. You would never sit on the 5, which I did daily for 13 months with the 4S.

You don't need a physical button to do any of that. The capacitive home button on my Lumia 920 does all of those things....screen shot, reset. A button is a button, the iPhone is just stuck in the 90's with a physical, mechanical one.

----------

No disrespect but the iPhone is rapidly becoming the Fisher Price of smartphones.

Let me preface my comments by saying I've owned all iPhones except for the iPhone 5; thus I'm very qualified to speak on this subject.

"iPhone 5" is specifically mentioned in the thread title. I wanted this to be a thread about the shortcomings of the iPhone 5, not iPhones in general.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
I'm not the smartest gadget user, but I don't know if a capacitive button is discoverable enough for some users. I was playing with a Windows 8 touchscreen device at a store and could not figure out how to go back to the tile screen after opening an app. It was only after looking it up online at home that I found that touching the logo below the display was the equivalent to a home button press.

Of course, since everyone has an iPhone, this may not be problem.

Perhaps a smartphone isn't for you. I doubt the vast majority of people would have that problem...

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Reasons I returned my iPhone 5

1. Small screen size

2. Poor quality control / materials

3. Same outdated iOS

4. Poor notification system / no led light

and my main reason for returning

5. Lack of and difficulty of jailbreaks

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

Wow.

I like having a mechanical button as I get real feedback without looking at the phone. I don't like static capacitive touch buttons, whats the point?

Also, you're completely overlooking that Apple makes it a point to be the simplest device to use for people with disabilities (across all their products). I had a blind woman in class that would not have been able to use a smartphone at all if it wasn't for her iPhone with all the accessibility settings.

Since when is a physical button outdated? How do you build in recovery functions while relying on software buttons? Even Android uses hard buttons for factory resets, and the power button.

What exactly is the point of going futuristic (as opposed to "outdated") with a button? What does that even entail? Can you even show me a mainstream device that has no physical buttons whatsoever? If so I sure hope it NEVER has a software issue, because in that case you may be ****ed.

tensiondeadache

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Southern California
Again...the home button needn't be mechanical to perform the functions of the iPhone home button. The iPhone 5 is the first Apple product I ever bought that I seriously questioned whether it was worth the money they were charging.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
This is just another rehash of why Apple continues down a path of ignoring the consumer, alienating the best OEM's and its inability to innovate design hardware and software.

This is why I, and millions of others, have decided to move on to better mobile platforms. And don't expect anything new from Apple any time soon. In fact, you can expect a significant drop of consumer use of Apple products beginning in 2014. You will see why at CES next month from Samsung.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.