Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has spent little focus updating its iOS app switcher since it was introduced with iOS 4, so designer @Sentry_NC decided to try his hand at a new concept for app switching.

In October, he created a mockup on The Verge forums of an iOS app switcher that takes advantage of the iPhone 5's elongated screen, providing easy access to settings and additional app management tools.

auxo.jpg
Though it was originally designed as just a concept, the Auxo iOS app switcher has now become a reality as a jailbreak tweak after Sentry teamed up with two app developers.

Auxo's design allows users to control apps with intuitive touch gestures. For example, sliding down on an app closes it, while swiping left reveals both music controls and toggle controls for adjusting brightness and turning Wi-Fi on and off. The video below, from iDownloadBlog, demonstrates how Auxo works.

The Auxo tweak may be limited to jailbroken devices, but it serves as an impressive example of the improvements that could be made to future versions of iOS if Apple takes notice. Auxo is not currently available, but it is coming soon to Cydia for jailbroken iOS 6 devices.

Article Link: Auxo Shows Off a Redesigned iOS App Switcher

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
The iPhone 5 jailbreak can't come soon enough. This looks like something that Apple, dare I say "used to" put out.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
This is a great implementation that I could see Apple doing. Would love to see it in iOS 7 :p

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Pretty sure this is something that people have wanted more than silly Facebook integration. I really hope this comes in iOS 7, but really wish it could become much sooner.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
I bet he gets a nice little email from Apple offering him a job. Simply but effective, a nice play on the card system while staying true to iOS. I wonder you can reorder the cards or keep them as "stickies"?

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Wow. That is awesome. When I saw the concept mockups I thought maybe the music area was a bit cluttered, and that the app icon and the "show album artwork" icon were too small.

But from this video, it seems to be quite good.

This is the first jailbreak that has me seriously thinking about jailbreaking my iPhone. But I probably will not.

I am really hoping Apple does something like this. Or, even better, just buy out this thing. It's already done for them.

One can only hope lol. (and submit an enhancement request to Apple with a link to this video).

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
I heard 12/22. But doesn't look to be true!

Dreamjailbreak? FAKE.

----------

Only complaint is the double tap. My iPhone 4's button is basically 50% chance of usability now. Pressing the home button so many times a day for so many years eventually wears it out.

Apparently Apple is already thinking of replacing the home button which makes sense.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...ce-virtual-keyboards-replace-home-button.html

Hopefully we'll see this as well as haptic, virtual home button.

Zephyr would be a good pair to this.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
Wow. That is awesome. When I saw the concept mockups I thought maybe the music area was a bit cluttered, and that the app icon and the "show album artwork" icon were too small.

But from this video, it seems to be quite good.

This is the first jailbreak that has me seriously thinking about jailbreaking my iPhone. But I probably will not.

I am really hoping Apple does something like this. Or, even better, just buy out this thing. It's already done for them.

One can only hope lol. (and submit an enhancement request to Apple with a link to this video).

If someone said "use this JAILBREAK TWEAK, all that they would say is "unjailbreak your phone or we will deny your warranty when your phone dies"

buddybd

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
This is what jailbreaking is all about! God I miss Cydia on the 5. Why did Apple have to ruin the fun for us :(

olowott

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2011
Dundee, UK
Thats some good stuff right there :cool:

really impressed ,its time i get my phone's hood up and start doing some cool stuffs.

break the jail season 6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.