Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
to the op why do you need raid0? the 900 by 900 speed does not help you unless you have a place to copy it to ie a raid 0 thunderbolt external.

I guess if you need to read large files 250k plus it is helpful.

the random 4k speeds are slower in the raid0 then 1 ssd alone. Have to admit 900 read / write looks good.

Last edited:

Exodist

macrumors member
If you believe in the reliability of the Samsung 830, then no reason to doubt the 840 Pro. Those initial issues with the drive were all pre-production versions and was fixed with new firmware before they were sold to the general public. I have no doubt the 840 Pro will be fine. :)

Very Correct, even confirmed by Anand again on his 2nd go with the drives.
I got a 256GB 830 Series I will be throwing in my mini in a few months.

demonbeats

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2014
Alberta, Canada
And lose Trim in the process.. It's a fairly important function, but maybe when your volume degrades you can pull it apart, trim it, put it back together and then restore your data.

Hi analogkid. Sorry for hijacking. I just got my mini server with 2 ssd's. I'm am a total newbie with servers, but I want the boot drive to contain the OS and all Applications. I want the second ssd for data storage.

I don't see two separate drives as set up at factory.

Any specific advice on how to make these changes is appreciated!

analogkid

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2003
Savannah
Hi analogkid. Sorry for hijacking. I just got my mini server with 2 ssd's. I'm am a total newbie with servers, but I want the boot drive to contain the OS and all Applications. I want the second ssd for data storage.

I don't see two separate drives as set up at factory.

Any specific advice on how to make these changes is appreciated!

Well apple would not set them as a raided pair so I imagine they are seperate volumes if the mini came from the factory with dual ssds's. You should use disc utility to double check exactly what is going on with the volumes. If I misunderstood and you loaded the drives yourself you should use a trim enabler after setting eveything up with disc utility.

jtwrace

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2009
Will this drive in 128GB be as fast? I only ask as I just don't need anything bigger than 128GB as it's only running the OS and one program so I could do two of the 128GB size rather than 256GB.

Last edited:

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
Will this drive in 128GB be as fast? I only ask as I just don't need anything bigger than 128GB as it's only running the OS and one program so I could do two of the 128GB size rather than 256GB.

The write speeds are a little lower on the 128GB's. 530/390 Read/Write compared to 540/520 on the single 256GB. That said you would still get a higher performance by RAID0'ing twin 128's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.