Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Monkeydude

macrumors member
May 12, 2011
Hamburg, Germany
As Apple is ignoring the billion requests for shortcuts let alone SB-settings - the answer is NO- they won't hire these guys and NO the wont implement anything like it for whatever reason.

p.s. Settings was one of the reasons for me to leave iOS.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
wonder if this will be a free tweek prob not, but still awesome. Apple needs to start looking into opening iOS...

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Leave it to the jailbreak community to make the iOS experience better, while apple sits on their 100 billion cash doing nothing yet still calling iOS 'the most advanced mobile OS'. Sad world.

I definitely agree with you here but don't forget, the mods and hacks are only wanted by the minority. Apple need to open up but not make it over complicated because that moves away from the philosophy of simplicity.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Wow, that's really awesome. Apple should open their wallet and buy the concept and work behind and integrate into next iOS. That's soo much better.

Well done designer and coder ! :)

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
The two finger delete is awesome. It would be nice to have a gesture to access multitasking in the future instead of using the home button.

Also, the current style of app killing does the trick. Apple could certainly borrow a second tap and hold to kill all apps.

Would be good for me since I have a compulsion with closing out every app in the multitasking tray I'm not using.

I still don't get what is so great about clearing the list of recently used apps. Do you guys do that on your Mac as well?

None of the apps in the app switcher is running unless
- they play audio which is at most one app at any given time
- it is a VoIP app listening for incoming calls
- a navigation app giving directions
- or they were exited only a few minutes ago and finish a task

The only time there is a need to remove an app from the switcher is when you want to restart an app that is misbehaving. Unless of course, you like to micro-manage inactive memory (which is the equivalent of running the purge command on Macs).

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I still don't get what is so great about clearing the list of recently used apps. Do you guys do that on your Mac as well?

None of the apps in the app switcher is running unless
- they play audio which is at most one app at any given time
- it is a VoIP app listening for incoming calls
- a navigation app giving directions
- or they were exited only a few minutes ago and finish a task

The only time there is a need to remove an app from the switcher is when you want to restart an app that is misbehaving. Unless of course, you like to micro-manage inactive memory (which is the equivalent of running the purge command on Macs).

----------

Do you have that same compulsion on a Mac, ie, do you constantly clear the list of most recently used applications?

Graphic-intense games run better.

msteffer

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
Looks really cool. I like all the feature they have implemented. Something I would really like to see is rotated icons when in landscape mode. Seems like a very simple fix to rotate the icons 90 degrees when holding the phone in landscape, even if the bar still pops up on the side near the home button. Make it happen!

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
I quite like the swipe to remove idea, much less awkward than the little crosses apple seem to be so obsessed with.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
The settings toggle switches are nice, but the app cards are just eye candy. Seeing the last state of the app? What does that give you? It's pointless user interface. And swiping to remove an app? Oops, I just lost the song I was making that I hadn't yet saved. Apple makes destructive actions slow for a reason. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that "are you sure" dialog that pops up only does so for apps that are using background processes like Spotify.

So no, it doesn't improve app switching at all. It's still bound to the Home button, which is the main pain point. If Apple ever redesigns app switching on the iPhone, I want a system gesture to swipe between apps. Not having to double-press a stiff button every time.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Here's a nice interview with pod2g on the status of the jailbreak and why IOS is the best platform.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/12/20/pod2g-interview/

I'm really hoping the dev team can crack it soon because like this tweak there is a lot on offer from talented devs.

FYI, there already is a jailbreak for iphone 5, it just isn't released publicly. They don't want to release it cause they are scared Apple will patch it and fix it. Those hackers are waiting to find a second way to jailbreak and then release one of those methods publicly.

Pray and beg. You have to pray a jailbreak is made then beg for it to be released.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
I quite like the swipe to remove idea, much less awkward than the little crosses apple seem to be so obsessed with.

The x represents to close. Without an indicator how would one know what to do? There is no need for instructions like in this video to show you what to do.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I'd love to see Apple buy them out, integrate, tweak, especially the 2 rows of toggles for BT, WiFi, Airplane, Rotation Lock, etc.

However, Apple would NEVER buy and implement something like this to become a core part of their iOS. Their role is to innovate and as such I don't see this getting bought and deployed by Apple.

However it would be really nice to see iOS 7 bring some changes to the multitask switcher.

levymetal

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2011
I agree with the commenters above, the cards are useless. I prefer having just the icons, makes for a much cleaner interface. And just because we have more real estate, it doesn't mean we have to start filling more of it with unnecessary information ;).

I do like the idea of swiping down to close, but that's just me. I only close apps to satisfy my OCD, but as far as I'm aware it really doesn't affect performance in any way; iOS is designed to run fine with apps "open" all the time. Closing apps might be needed when one misbehaves, but it's not something that would need optimising in Apple's eyes. At least not with the current model of app switching on the iPhone anyway.

Still, I like the ingenuity. Definitely a great tweak that would be useful to many through a jailbreak.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Actually, Google music was introduced few days before iCloud, so it's actually Apple who is copying Google!

I was referring to the music matching feature, which google didn't have ready until just few days ago. But if you like to troll, go ahead.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
The x represents to close. Without an indicator how would one know what to do? There is no need for instructions like in this video to show you what to do.

I see your point but the little crosses are often quite fiddly/hard to hit - Just prefer the swipe - Android Style. (although this swipe does look nicer than androids stack)

adamtore

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2011
Sweden
You didn't pay attention while sitting in the history lessons. /fail

Watching a hollywood flick then claiming others should learn history is even bigger fail.

Are you one of those saying Steve invented the smartphone? Pretty sure you are.

----------

your comment is bad and you should feel bad. Did you fail your history courses? I thought so.

----------

LOL? half of those things on your list weren't even first done on android. you must be a bright one. :rolleyes:

How ironic, you do realize google is the company coming up with 'me too' products right?

- Google drive (ripoff of dropbox)
- Google currents (flipboard wannabe)
- Google now (siri+passbook ripoff)
- Google music (iTunes match)
..boy the list goes on and on
-

And none of those things you cry about Apple brought to the table so whats your point? You just retarded yourself there buddy.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Watching a hollywood flick then claiming others should learn history is even bigger fail.

Are you one of those saying Steve invented the smartphone? Pretty sure you are.

----------

And none of those things you cry about Apple brought to the table so whats your point? You just retarded yourself there buddy.

And you just got reported genius.

I don't know about Steve inventing the smartphone, but he certainly made a smartphone so good that google and Samsung was so desperate to copy. Truth hurts doesn't it?

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
I bet he gets a nice little email from Apple offering him a job. Simply but effective, a nice play on the card system while staying true to iOS. I wonder you can reorder the cards or keep them as "stickies"?

I bet he gets a threatening letter from Apple lawyers.

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Pretty sure this is something that people have wanted more than silly Facebook integration. I really hope this comes in iOS 7, but really wish it could become much sooner.

Pretty sure that I haven't even considered the app switching for the past few years along with the 99.9% of iOS users, meanwhile 99.9% of iOS users are on fb

coltman75

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Pretty sure this is something that people have wanted more than silly Facebook integration. I really hope this comes in iOS 7, but really wish it could become much sooner.

I think that more people would rather have Facebook integration. I know a ton of people who were really happy when they updated to iOS 6 and found out they could post to facebook from the photos app and from the notification center.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Pretty sure that I haven't even considered the app switching for the past few years along with the 99.9% of iOS users, meanwhile 99.9% of iOS users are on fb

As far as I know, most people don't even use the Facebook integration as it ignores a lot of the user's Facebook privacy settings with regards to who can see your uploaded photos

Apple needs to stop doing halfassed features (why do I have to use both iPhoto and Photo app? Why can't I have one that's powerful for both viewing and editing photos)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.