Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Yes, that is the correct link to follow...

My problem is that I have not upgraded from Lion to Mountain Lion, so I cannot duplicate his steps.

Do you have access to a Snow Leopard or Lion Mac where you can complete STEP ONE and then move the .cdr file over to your Mt. Lion Mac?

EudoraRocks

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2012
Shield Eudora from Lion's Claws

A thousand thanks and kudos to Michael for this fabulously excellent thread!

Eudora's now happy in her new Snow Leopard VM home on my Lion ModBook!

Appears essential to keep resource-forked data off Lion disk:

First attempt with Eudora on SL VM was sharing data on Lion disk. Error messages on open like "can't find Table of Contents" suggest Lion ate resource forks crucial to Eudora.

Found success by transferring data from SL Mac to thumb drive, then mounted drive in SL VM so Lion couldn't touch.

While Michael warns against storing data in VM, appears there's no choice with Eudora. At least She's enthroned on a mirrored RAID.

There is Nothing like Eudora! (to tune of "There is Nothing Like a Dame" from South Pacific -- Oops! my gray hair is showing!)

(It's amazing Parallels can force Lion to store taboo resource forks. Thank God for code warriors!)

B

EudoraRocks

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2012
Sharing data on Lion disc reliable?

8. make an alias to your Eudora folder and place it on your guest where Eudora would expect its files to be (~/Documents/).

..will allow to keep .pvm at ~14gb without..constantly make backups...
= access to..data on both host and guest.

rmagnum:

Per my previous post, I’d be nervous about having the data so nakedly in Lion's claws. I'd love to hear if Eudora remains happy with shared data.

BTW, it appears TimeMachine only backs up what's changed on .pvm

Thanks!

B

redsaurus

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2008
I've got the impression that it's not Lion that's throwing away the resource forks, it's the Parallels Tools or something. If suitably zipped it's possible to transfer a file back and forth with resource forks intact between the Snow Leopard VM and Lion.

gilby101

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
I've got a .sparseimage and a .cdr file, because...

I followed the instruction in this link.

The .cdr is the modified installation image. And you need this as the boot device in Parallels.

If I read your first post correctly you are stuck as Step TWO, sub step 7. Did you select SuperDrive.cdr in sub step 4? That is where you connect Parallels to the modified installation image. Though I am a VMware person the steps are much the same. Your screenshot suggest to me that you have not managed to tell Parallels to boot from SuperDrive.cdr.

Please check through all of the substeps in MichaelLAX's Step TWO.

Best of luck!

EudoraRocks

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2012
..impression it's not Lion throwing away the resource forks…

Just found a possibly relevant clue* on Wikipedia: “short” references to forks are not supported on 10.7, only long ones. Any Eudora code using short link would thus not work.

I believe resource forks are tossed in 10.8, but the W article implies Lion does respect them, as you report.

Looks like problem I had was Eudora not being able to access the forks.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_fork#How_a_resource_fork_is_accessed

Am I the only one who thinks user-friendly became extinct with OSX?

Thanks for the education,

B

rontyson

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2010
Macbook Pro Trackpad

I have installed Snow Leopard in Parallels 8 under Mountain Lion. I did the install process in Snow Leopard on my older MB Pro and have no multi-touch gestures using my Macbook Pro. It says no trackpad found under system preferences. I have also installed SL under Parallels 7 to see if it makes a difference. Still no trackpad. Has anyone else had this problem?

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
I will check on my MacBookPro touchpad later. .
Were gestures implemented post Snow Leopard?

Look for the thread on this forum about Installing Snow Leopard on the 2011 Mac Mini. Newfoundglory has done breakthrough work finding drivers for Snow Leopard for more modern hardware.

If successful, please report back ur successes here.

What PowerPc apps do you use in virtualized SL?

Last edited:

rontyson

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2010
I will check on my MacBookPro touchpad later. .
Were gestures implemented post Snow Leopard?

Look for the thread on this forum about Installing Snow Leopard on the 2011 Mac Mini. Newfoundglory has done breakthrough work finding drivers for Snow Leopard for more modern hardware.

If successful, please report back ur successes here.

What PowerPc apps do you use in virtualized SL?

Thanks for quick reply Michael,

No touchpad system pane existed until I did updates for Snow Leopard. I thought it might be a problem with Parallels 8, that is why I did the install in 7 also. Still no touchpad. I will look at the tread you referenced, I am sure it is a driver problem. I use ArchiCAD, an architectural cad software.

I have no gestures working. When I click on Trackpad in the System settings is says "No Trackpad Found".

Last edited:

madAdam6LOVE

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
Invalid MacOS error comes up after using virtual machine for 10 days

After happily using my Snow Leopard virtual machine in Parallels 8 for 10 days, when I went to boot it this morning I got the dreaded Invalid MacOS error.

The only change is that last week I moved my disk image from my Mountain Lion partition (with limited disk space) to my Snow Leopard partition (which has plenty of space). The virtual machine was working fine the past 5 days after the move.

Any ideas why the error has popped up, and if there's a fix other than reinstalling?

Thanks!

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
1. When you moved the .pvm file to your Snow Leopard partition, did you click CREATE NEW when asked about the MAC address?

2. Did you let either the Mac or Parallels environment go to SLEEP?

3. Did you create a backup file as told to you at the end of the installation instructions?

Follow the troubleshooting steps here

Attachments

• Parallels - Snow Leopard MAC dialog.png
    Parallels - Snow Leopard MAC dialog.png
    62 KB · Views: 171

jcj2249

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
These differences may be due to your using Parallels 8 and my instructions were built on Parallels 7, which I continue to use. Is that correct? If so, I may add your suggestions for Parallels 8 users.

Sorry for my late reply.
I confirm that I was using Parallels 7 (and not 8) in Mountain Lion .
Now I have upgraded to Parallels 8 and I suggest 2 additional corrections (they might sound of little importance, but they are because each word has its importance in this delicate installation in Mountain Lion + Parallels 8)
1- Replace menu "Virtual Machine/Upgrade Parallels Tools" by "Virtual Machine/Install Parallels Tools"
2- Most important : At the end of the Snow Leopard installation (Step Three 1.), you must eject Mac OS X Install DVD from the SL Finder otherwise the Parallels Tools disk will not mount in the SL Finder (and you cannot continue the installation)

madAdam6LOVE

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
1. When you moved the .pvm file to your Snow Leopard partition, did you click CREATE NEW when asked about the MAC address?

2. Did you let either the Mac or Parallels environment go to SLEEP?

3. Did you create a backup file as told to you at the end of the installation instructions?

Follow the troubleshooting steps here

Thanks for the quick reply.

I always shut down the VM. Mac or Parallels might have gone to sleep, I'm not sure.

Can I simply restore a working Snow Leopard PVM file from Time Machine?

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Can I simply restore a working Snow Leopard PVM file from Time Machine?

Yes: you should be able to restore the Mac OS X Snow Leopard.pvm file from Time Machine and it should work.

Please report back your results and let us know what PowerPC apps you use in virtualized Snow Leopard.

CelticGal

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2013
Installing Snow Leopard into Parallels 8 on Mountain Lion

I've been endeavouring to get Snow Leopard to run in Parallels 8 and I've been following the steps posted by MichaelLAX (May 2, 2012). I realize your instructions are for Parallels 7 is that a problem in itself? I did manage to get as far as Step Two (8) before things looked a little different. Still I thought I could fudge a bit. The install proceeded and then I got the message "You do not have the permission to create a virtual machine in the "/Mac OS X Snow Leopard.pvm" folder." I've asked to locate the file in the Mac HD. Also, I'm in Canada - don't know if things are different than in the US for this type of thing or not. Any thoughts?

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Installation into Parallels 8 should be the same as version 7. Installation of Parallels Tools is different in version 8, as noted in the Preliminary Notes.

As far as I know, Canadian installation should not be a problem.

It looks like you may have mistyped the name of the file in STEP TWO Number 6, as a slash (\) should not be included in the file name: "/Mac OS X Snow Leopard.pvm" folder."

Let me know if this helps the problem and what PowerPC applications do you need to run in Lion/Mt. Lion?

TomBr

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
No "Sparse" image format option

I have OS X 10.8.2 and a Snow Leopard install disk.

In following the steps below, I did not have "sparse" as a choice for an image format.

My choices were:
read-only
compressed
--------------
read/write
DVD/CD master

[I typed in the dotted line above because there seemed to be some sort of line in the same place in Disk Utility.]

I chose compressed and completed the the first step but stopped there after saving the superdrive.dmg file.

Please advise if I should proceed with the next step or if one of the other choices is equal to "sparse".

Thanks.

Unfortunately we have not found a direct solution for creation of the image file and modifying it in Mountain Lion. The current workaround does require that STEP ONE be completed on a Snow Leopard or Lion Mac.

My solution is to go via a sparse image. This is with Mountain Lion as my host OS. With most words from your 'Step One':

Insert SL DVD. In Disk Utility, select SuperDrive and from Disk Utility’s File menu, choose “New > Disk Image from [device]”, set the image format to “Sparse” and Encryption to none and create the disk image wherever. This creates SuperDrive.sparseimage (which is read/write).

Mount it from finder (or use: hdiutil attach SuperDrive.sparseimage)

touch '/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist'

Dismount it and then turn into DVD/CD-R image with:

hdiutil convert SuperDrive.sparseimage -format UDTO -o SuperDrive

I don't think you can do that step with Disk Utility.

Now we have a SuperDrive.cdr with the extra file!

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Tom:

I am still using Lion OS X 10.7 and personally I see no reason to upgrade, yet, to Mt. Lion. When I was younger, I felt the compulsion to be the "first" to upgrade, but those days are gone...

So, I have no way to access Disk Utility in 10.8 to try to replicate your situation. I was lucky that one or two other users even posted their success with that "sparse" solution. Maybe the 10.8.2 update removes it?

Reread the suggested solution and be sure you are following their steps correctly. Open Preferences in Disk Utility and see if maybe there is some way to check Sparse there.

Do you have access to a Snow Leopard or Lion Mac, where you can complete STEP ONE and create the SuperDisk.cdr modified file and then move it over to your Mt. Lion Mac to complete the remainder of the steps?

Otherwise I do not think that proceeding with STEP TWO will succeed.

Let me know how you are doing and I will look into this further.

TomBr

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
Michael,
I certainly agree about being careful upgrading - ML short circuited some things I was doing with Parallels 7 and then I had to go to P-8. I've learned the lesson.

I followed your suggestion and doing so provoked me to search DuckDuckGo for "where is disk utility spare image format?". That led me to http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20050601181738987 where I found a terminal command to "Enable hidden disk image formats in Disk Utility ".

That opened up a large number of hidden formats, a total of 16 altogether. One of them was "sparseimage" and one was "sparse". I chose "sparse" but disk utility insisted on naming it SuperDrive.sparseimage.

I do not have access to a SL or Lion computer, so I hope that I now have the appropriate file, even though I don't remember if the email that started all this mentioned that Disk Utility would name it xxx.sparseimage.

I'll proceed with the next step and see what happens.

I hope the information about hidden formats is of use to others.

-Tom

Tom:

I am still using Lion OS X 10.7 and personally I see no reason to upgrade, yet, to Mt. Lion. When I was younger, I felt the compulsion to be the "first" to upgrade, but those days are gone...

So, I have no way to access Disk Utility in 10.8 to try to replicate your situation. I was lucky that one or two other users even posted their success with that "sparse" solution. Maybe the 10.8.2 update removes it?

Reread the suggested solution and be sure you are following their steps correctly. Open Preferences in Disk Utility and see if maybe there is some way to check Sparse there.

Do you have access to a Snow Leopard or Lion Mac, where you can complete STEP ONE and create the SuperDisk.cdr modified file and then move it over to your Mt. Lion Mac to complete the remainder of the steps?

Otherwise I do not think that proceeding with STEP TWO will succeed.

Let me know how you are doing and I will look into this further.

TomBr

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
Dismounting superdrive

I proceeded on to the next steps in SuperDrive.sparseimage process.

new-host-2:~ Thomas$ hdiutil attach SuperDrive.sparseimage
/dev/disk6 Apple_partition_scheme
/dev/disk6s1 Apple_partition_map
/dev/disk6s2 Apple_Driver_ATAPI
/dev/disk6s3 Apple_HFS /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD 1

new-host-2:~ Thomas$ touch '/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist'
.touch: /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist: Read-only file system

new-host-2:~ Thomas$ hdiutil convert SuperDrive.sparseimage -format UDTO -o SuperDrive
hdiutil: convert failed - Resource temporarily unavailable

At this point, I think I didn't dismount the superdrive properly, but I'm stuck on how to do that.

Should abort what I was doing and follow your suggestion to convert to a .cdr?

-Tom

Michael,
I certainly agree about being careful upgrading - ML short circuited some things I was doing with Parallels 7 and then I had to go to P-8. I've learned the lesson.

I followed your suggestion and doing so provoked me to search DuckDuckGo for "where is disk utility spare image format?". That led me to http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20050601181738987 where I found a terminal command to "Enable hidden disk image formats in Disk Utility ".

That opened up a large number of hidden formats, a total of 16 altogether. One of them was "sparseimage" and one was "sparse". I chose "sparse" but disk utility insisted on naming it SuperDrive.sparseimage.

I do not have access to a SL or Lion computer, so I hope that I now have the appropriate file, even though I don't remember if the email that started all this mentioned that Disk Utility would name it xxx.sparseimage.

I'll proceed with the next step and see what happens.

I hope the information about hidden formats is of use to others.

-Tom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.