Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Pretty sure this is something that people have wanted more than silly Facebook integration. I really hope this comes in iOS 7, but really wish it could become much sooner.

This is very true however, Apple is a business and is most likely making money from that Facebook integration, a lot of money.

Personally I hate Facebook with a vengeance due to their utterly cavalier approach they take with data protection.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
People need to think this through instead of just saying 'that looks cool'. Think about the essential requirements for the app switcher and see what value this tweak offers. Do that, and you'll see no additional value is offered.

- The tiles don't provide information an app icon does not show. In stead, things look more confusing/clustered)
- Music controls are still in the same place, they just look different
- The settings toggles require four or five interactions (click home button (2x), swipe (2x), scroll (optional), tap toggle). This is not less than it currently is (press home button, tap settings, tap menu entry, tap toggle).

So, this tweak is not quicker at all and has no significant improvement. Even worse, it looks less clean and more clustered.

If you want to improve iOS, develop an understanding of the goals, elegance and simplicity it currently has. If you don't, you'll just ruin things that are thought through very thorougly.

Last edited:

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
If someone said "use this JAILBREAK TWEAK, all that they would say is "unjailbreak your phone or we will deny your warranty when your phone dies"

Submitting this video as a feature enhancement doesn't automatically mean the person who submitted it has a jailbroken phone lol. The point of submitting it is so that I wouldn't have to jailbreak it and to tell Apple "we want something like this, please."

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Pretty sure that I haven't even considered the app switching for the past few years along with the 99.9% of iOS users, meanwhile 99.9% of iOS users are on fb

Source? I think your numbers could be off.

mrbyu

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
Notification Center sucked when it was implemented from Android. Apple could have at least made it better or updated but they haven't touched it in 2 years.

You insane?

iOS notification center was way better than the Android one when it was released.

Yeah, the idea was basically (!) the same, but the whole system was much more polished and much more customizable than the one on Android. That's what the haters never realized, that Apple did a lot more than just simply copying Android. And it works perfectly imho. What should've they improved on this area?

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
You insane?

iOS notification center was way better than the Android one when it was released.

Yeah, the idea was basically (!) the same, but the whole system was much more polished and much more customizable than the one on Android. That's what the haters never realized, that Apple did a lot more than just simply copying Android. And it works perfectly imho. What should've they improved on this area?

You must be smoking some strong dope to think this.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
You must be smoking some strong dope to think this.
No, it's true. iOS notifications are FAR more customizable than on Android. With iOS, you can change the following settings for each app:

- The type of notification
- Where it is displayed (lock screen, notification center)
- The sound
- The number of notifications

Etc. No way you can do this with Android. Not for each app.

The iOS notification center is WAY better than Android's.

Last edited:

KnightMan

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
I love how many iPhone users are loving this but at the same time say widgets, and toggles are pointless. Welcome to Android people. Cannot believe so many are crying for a jailbreak, yet Android does this off the hop and much nicer. This is exactly why I say 2013 will even be a bigger gap between Android and iOS. Apple isn't an innovator. They're a company that prefers to squeeze every last cent out of stale products before they move forward. I give Google full marks for steaming full on forward despite their dominate performance in the US and in the World. No sleeping and resting on current status at Google.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
I love how many iPhone users are loving this but at the same time say widgets, and toggles are pointless. Welcome to Android people. Cannot believe so many are crying for a jailbreak, yet Android does this off the hop and much nicer. This is exactly why I say 2013 will even be a bigger gap between Android and iOS. Apple isn't an innovator. They're a company that prefers to squeeze every last cent out of stale products before they move forward. I give Google full marks for steaming full on forward despite their dominate performance in the US and in the World. No sleeping and resting on current status at Google.
It's a shame there is no cure for tunnelvision.

Best wishes.

KnightMan

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
No, it's true. iOS notifications are FAR more customizable than on Android. With iOS, you can change the following settings for each app:

- The type of notification
- Where it is displayed (lock screen, notification center)
- The sound
- The number of notifications

Etc. No way you can do this with Android. Not for each app.

The iOS notification center is WAY better than Android's.

It's a shame there is no cure for tunnelvision.

Best wishes. ;)

BMNB1tch

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2009
iOS app switcher

this is something i always hated in android ics. screen preview while switching apps. why, oh God, why?

i can only run just a *single* instance of every app, so it really does not matter, what's on it's screen. i will definitely not think about where to look for the document i was editing with pages. or where to find my emails.

this is something i don't need. for me it's just pointless. i am 100% satisfied with the easy to recognise app icons as it is now.

this pimped up version however minimises the original app icons, and makes them harder to identify.

so i personally won't ever jb for this, and i would file a complaint with Jony himself if apple ever implements this.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
I can't wait...

I can't wait for Apple to implement this and then show it to us all over again at a media event like they invented it.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Another reason for me to continue using my iPhone 4. Admittedly, it's no longer the most robust phone in the world. But, it is:

a) Unlocked

b) Highly customizable

c) Off-contract.

Sometimes, the "latest and greatest" actually isn't.

tardegrade

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009
Devon, UK.
This is most definitely the sort of thing that apple need to be listening to or looking at for iOS 7. Big thumbs up in usability and making sense. I just hope that the guys at Cupertino are on the same track, because big updates to iOS are required now. Where once they were leading they are now, at best level pegging in UI design.

iOS 7, give me revolution this time around not evolution please!
(Oh and take your kill sword to the skeuomorphism Jony Ive, thank you Sir.)

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
People need to think this through instead of just saying 'that looks cool'. Think about the essential requirements for the app switcher and see what value this tweak offers. Do that, and you'll see no additional value is offered.

- The tiles don't provide information an app icon does not show. In stead, things look more confusing/clustered)
- Music controls are still in the same place, they just look different
- The settings toggles require four or five interactions (click home button (2x), swipe (2x), scroll (optional), tap toggle). This is not less than it currently is (press home button, tap settings, tap menu entry, tap toggle).

So, this tweak is not quicker at all and has no significant improvement. Even worse, it looks less clean and more clustered.

If you want to improve iOS, develop an understanding of the goals, elegance and simplicity it currently has. If you don't, you'll just ruin things that are thought through very thorougly.

most people just like the idea of something new and pretty to look at imo
we are all creatures of habits

i DO think its time to tweak the OS and its UI a little to take advantage of the bigger screen. some things look rather tacky on the 5 right now. like the lockscreen or the music app and yep even the app switcher deserves some adjustments to show "more" on the iPhone 5

i already dont understand why the notification center isn't used for more on the iPad. it has so much potential and looks especially pathetic on the iPad cuz there isnt even weather displayed

I still don't get what is so great about clearing the list of recently used apps. Do you guys do that on your Mac as well?

None of the apps in the app switcher is running unless
- they play audio which is at most one app at any given time
- it is a VoIP app listening for incoming calls
- a navigation app giving directions
- or they were exited only a few minutes ago and finish a task

The only time there is a need to remove an app from the switcher is when you want to restart an app that is misbehaving. Unless of course, you like to micro-manage inactive memory (which is the equivalent of running the purge command on Macs).

actually yes, i close an app as soon as i dont need it anymore. i just hate knowing they sit down there in the appswitcher ... waiting. i'm weird like that lol and i also cbf trying to figure out what "may" continue running so i just close them all together

Last edited:

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
I still don't get what is so great about clearing the list of recently used apps. Do you guys do that on your Mac as well?

None of the apps in the app switcher is running unless
- they play audio which is at most one app at any given time
- it is a VoIP app listening for incoming calls
- a navigation app giving directions
- or they were exited only a few minutes ago and finish a task

The only time there is a need to remove an app from the switcher is when you want to restart an app that is misbehaving. Unless of course, you like to micro-manage inactive memory (which is the equivalent of running the purge command on Macs).

Actually, I think you've answered your own question. I've underlined the important parts. Three comments:

a) If you like flicking through pages and pages of backgrounded or suspended apps, that's your preference. Personally I like tidiness.

b) Some apps don't reach the suspended state quickly. Instead they use a feature in IOS which allows them to request a 10 minute extension to their background status. If you inspect the running processes on a jailbroken phone, you will see that certain apps are really very badly behaved. They keep on using CPU and memory as long as 50 minutes after they cease being active. That's because they are repetitively requesting a 10 minute extension of their background status from IOS. IMHO, Apple has been way too lenient about this.

c) As you've mentioned, certain type of apps will keep on running in the background (for valid reasons). However they do consume a lot of resources, which is something you seem to take entirely for granted. Many apps that track your movement (ski, bike, nav app.) can drain the battery of an aging iPhone 4 in less than 7 hours. To me it's obvious that when you take your skis off at lunch, you're going to want to kill that nice ski app. Ditto for other sports apps. That's why I like to keep my apps tidy as stated above. Otherwise I'd have all sorts of apps open.

Finally, I don't understand your need to question our motives. If we're closing the apps, it's not because it's 'useless' as you're trying to imply. It's because we've observed the effect certain apps have on the phone in real life. RR2 doesn't run well at all with those com and nav apps in the background. Why should I keep them there and have a degraded gaming experience? It simply doesn't make any sense.

As for your purge question, no I never run it. Because it's not necessary.

Aug 26, 2008
It's cool, but it's basically a worse version of what already exists in Android. Apple needs to bring things like this, and a heck of a lot more just to stay current at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.