Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Biro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
I've received a number of notices on my iPad 2 Wi-Fi that iOS 6 was ready for my device. I have ignored it for a few days but today I tapped on the "Get More Information" tab. I got more information... and a clarification that iOS 6 is already downloaded to my iPad.

I have NOT tapped on the install option and would like to delete the download from my machine. But, unlike with a nomal Mac, there is no hard drive icon for me to enter in order to find the file. Does anyone know how to delete this UNINSTALLED file?

Let me be clear that I'll probably eventually download iOS 6 after the bugs are worked out. But some family members also use my iPad and I KNOW someone is going to accidentally install this despite my warnings. :)

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You can only get rid of it if you are jailbroken. And if it is deleted, iOS will just redownload it again.

Biro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
You can only get rid of it if you are jailbroken. And if it is deleted, iOS will just redownload it again.

Thanks. I suspected that would be the case. Drat. This is not the way to win friends and influence people.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
What CAN'T YOU DO without jailbroken it. Pathetic. But as much as I am tempted I will still never jailbroken.

There isn't much that cannot be done with a jailbreak. Full ad blocking and web caching is one of my more favorite things. And so is the ability to startup my Macs via Netboot hosted on my 4S. Love it all.

citron

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
Hi - I've just jailbroken my iphone4 and using ifunbox to browse the file system - does anyone know where the ios6 installation files are so I can delete them - I want to free up the space and stick with 5.1.1.

Thanks!

kny3twalker

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2009
Hi - I've just jailbroken my iphone4 and using ifunbox to browse the file system - does anyone know where the ios6 installation files are so I can delete them - I want to free up the space and stick with 5.1.1.

Thanks!

looking for the same answer. anyone know?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I've received a number of notices on my iPad 2 Wi-Fi that iOS 6 was ready for my device. I have ignored it for a few days but today I tapped on the "Get More Information" tab. I got more information... and a clarification that iOS 6 is already downloaded to my iPad.

I have NOT tapped on the install option and would like to delete the download from my machine. But, unlike with a nomal Mac, there is no hard drive icon for me to enter in order to find the file. Does anyone know how to delete this UNINSTALLED file?

Let me be clear that I'll probably eventually download iOS 6 after the bugs are worked out. But some family members also use my iPad and I KNOW someone is going to accidentally install this despite my warnings. :)

If you are jailbroken, install Software Update Killer then it cannot get installed.

kny3twalker

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2009
If you are jailbroken, install Software Update Killer then it cannot get installed.

that really doesnt answer the question. I mean why bother replying with something thats easy enough to find from a quick google search.

I found a directory called softwareupdate.494 in /private/var/MobileSoftwareUpdate/

its 1.5 GB

but has anyone successfully remove the ios 6 uninstalled update and all references to the download?

seanwebb68

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
that really doesnt answer the question. I mean why bother replying with something thats easy enough to find from a quick google search.

I found a directory called softwareupdate.494 in /private/var/MobileSoftwareUpdate/

its 1.5 GB

but has anyone successfully remove the ios 6 uninstalled update and all references to the download?

Because alot of people don't google search... thats why you see these replys!

Yeah that is where the update is held i found that information using google in a 2 minute search...

More in below
Code:
http://bit.ly/URx74w

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It should be noted, again, that even if it is deleted iOS will redownload it again unless proper measures are taken.

kny3twalker

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2009
I installed Software Update Killer and it:
Deleted the downloaded update
Disabled Download and Install button
Removed notification icon

This is the best solution

If I had known that software update killer would delete the downloaded update, I would have not kept asking

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.