Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
There is an exceptionally small difference between all HDMI cables. The versions dont actually mean anything to the cables, that is all based upon the units you are transferring data between. They mark versions on cables to ensure their support for the bandwidth required of each version. For example, HDMI 1.3 added support for high bitrate 1080p and 7.1 audio, and HDMI 1.4/1.4a added support for 3D 1080p transfers. Only the sending and receiving unit (blu ray player and TV as an example) actually need support for these versions, but the cable you are using needs to be able to support the bandwidth required.

In terms of brand, there is literally no difference between any of them. The cheapest 1.4 cable is the same as the most expensive 1.4 cable with perhaps the exception of how much rubber shielding is around them. The only time you would ever need more shielding is if you are wrapping your HDMI cable around a 240V electrical wire or something stupid along those lines. Don't fall into the "Monster cables are the best!" marketing, its all a load of crap.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Basically they are pretty similar - in the analog days the metals used mattered more - with digital you either have a signal or you don't. Image quality will be the same for a cheap cable and a $3000 cable.

biosci

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
Chicagoland, IL
I see, I just didn't know if a cable that came out when 1.3 was the standard can still handle 1.4 3D signals. I didn't think there really would be any added 'ingredients' that made it 'more special'. i.e. microUSB cables or iPhone cables (The old 30 pin ones) supported early models and newer models with more features etc. Another specific example would be early iPod Videos used the 30 pin adapter to export video via RGB cables but you can use the same cable on your iPad 3 to export 1080p via and HDMI adapter!

Mike

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
All good information, but especially about the overpriced offerings form Monster etc. I bought a. ATV3 as a gift yesterday...cost of ATV? £89 the idiot sales guy said ". You will need a top quality cable for this to work sir...." And directed me to the rack of gold Monste cables. Cost of a 2meter Monster? £69.00

Son, I said....I'm a recording engineer and studio musician....I have plenty of HDMI cables, but do you really think I'd pay near,y as much for the cable as I did for the unit itself?

He walked away..:D

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
All good information, but especially about the overpriced offerings form Monster etc. I bought a. ATV3 as a gift yesterday...cost of ATV? £89 the idiot sales guy said ". You will need a top quality cable for this to work sir...." And directed me to the rack of gold Monste cables. Cost of a 2meter Monster? £69.00

Son, I said....I'm a recording engineer and studio musician....I have plenty of HDMI cables, but do you really think I'd pay near,y as much for the cable as I did for the unit itself?

He walked away..:D
At least you were diplomatic. I probably wouldn't have been able to help myself. Something along the lines of, "Now you know why Best Buy isn't doing so hot."

I use Monoprice for all cables etc...... Dirt cheap and fast shippers.
Yes! Monoprice is fantastic. You literally can't find cheaper prices, higher quality, and faster shipping times with the exception of maybe Amazon Prime. Highly recommended site.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
There can be differences. If you look at Monoprice's cables, you will see various sizes. (AWG) Where this starts to matter is in length. For a standard install with a 6' cable, anything should work. If you need something 20' and up, you want to start looking at the size. (not price)

Dobbs2

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
There can be differences. If you look at Monoprice's cables, you will see various sizes. (AWG) Where this starts to matter is in length. For a standard install with a 6' cable, anything should work. If you need something 20' and up, you want to start looking at the size. (not price)

From my experience this is correct, but only the 35' mark and above.

If you look at suppliers for 35' and longer they don't even guarantee 1080p signal in those lengths. They will guarantee 720p. The exception is the newer cables that have Redmere technology, but even that has limitations of 65'. For the average joe that will be fine.

Just keep in mind if you are doing in wall installations you look at the cables you are buying. Also make sure that you have the cables going the correct way. On these new ones with Redmere they have it to where a certain end is the source and the other is the tv and they don't work the other way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.