Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I had a jailbroken iphone 4 before and was able to tether (very lightly) on my "unlimited" at&t data plan.

I bought the 5 and now I really miss having the ability to tether during emergencies when WiFi isn't working.

Anyone know of a workaround to make it work? I know those apps that passed through the App Store (which had hidden tethering toggles) are long gone, but there must be another one.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere

Thank you!

That didn't work though. I assume Apple contacted them and they removed it.

----------

Does that application still work for tethering? And can't your official carrier track down whether or not you're tethering using a third party app on your mobile device - ultimately cutting you off your data?

Not really. I used to tether through AT&T quite a lot actually (I didn't DL a lot, just surfed) and never got a coplaint.

I do know that with AT&T and other carriers they start to slow down your connection speed after you hit a certain amount of downloads, such as 2-3GB/month.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
I would've been very surprised if they were offering that application/tethering service for free on the App Store (assuming it was still working). :p

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I would've been very surprised if they were offering that application/tethering service for free on the App Store (assuming it was still working). :p

I know that if you bought this app before they "fixed" the issue, then you could reload and reuse :D

When I click the above link you posted, it says not available in the U.S. Store, but then I search for it in the app store, and it's there with the same icon but the GUI is different, but then it just doesn't work.

Damn you AT&T for making us jump through hoops!

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
This is my last request to not needing to jailbreak, that and FaceTime over cellular with my unlimited data

I agree.

I don't care about jailbreaking anymore, just want to enable tethering "legally."

It's a tiny "tick" to enable tethering and FaceTime over Unlimited Cellular data.

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
I agree.

I don't care about jailbreaking anymore, just want to enable tethering "legally."

It's a tiny "tick" to enable tethering and FaceTime over Unlimited Cellular data.

I don't follow.? I heard some areas where AT&T allowed FaceTime over cellular to be enabled but no go for me yet

FixBrokeni

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
I've been using tether.com for a while now when I'm on the road. I've always have pretty fast connections, and never any substantial problems. Whenever a customer purchases our iPhone repair services and asks about tethering we point them in that direction.

It's about $20-30 a year, and goes through the browser so no app installs on your phone!

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
I had a jailbroken iphone 4 before and was able to tether (very lightly) on my "unlimited" at&t data plan.

I bought the 5 and now I really miss having the ability to tether during emergencies when WiFi isn't working.

Anyone know of a workaround to make it work? I know those apps that passed through the App Store (which had hidden tethering toggles) are long gone, but there must be another one.

Put your sim back in your 4 and use that.... OR actually pay for it! I know that sounds crazy but it's an easy solution to a non problem.

Gotta pay to play. I don't agree with it but you signed the contract when you signed up.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Put your sim back in your 4 and use that.... OR actually pay for it! I know that sounds crazy but it's an easy solution to a non problem.

Gotta pay to play. I don't agree with it but you signed the contract when you signed up.

I passed down my 4 to someone else...plus it was upgraded to iOS 6.

Sure, it's about "paying" the right price...but the data prices in the U.S. are ridiculous. Yes, there is more areas to cover from coast to coast, but if it's MY data, I want to do what I want with it. They could just throttle the speed, I don't care.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
I passed down my 4 to someone else...plus it was upgraded to iOS 6.

Sure, it's about "paying" the right price...but the data prices in the U.S. are ridiculous. Yes, there is more areas to cover from coast to coast, but if it's MY data, I want to do what I want with it. They could just throttle the speed, I don't care.

Hey man you're preaching to the choir. My data I should be able to use it the way I see fit...... Unfortunately it's greedy telecorps that have the say, not you and I as a consumer.... unless we want to languish on Sprints network.... but what sensible person would want to do that?

Faize

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2011
I hear a lot about limitations that you US folks have on things like FaceTime and tethering, but do they apply only to "unlimited" plans, or do they apply to all plans?

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
Iam on a good plan at the moment where i get unlimited tethering on my iPhone for just $30 dollers a month.The only problem with tethering it really sucks your battery really fast its ok if you have portable power source with you so that you can charge your device up while you are on the move or tethering because you are lucky to get a couple of hours of out of a bluetooth tethering.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I hear a lot about limitations that you US folks have on things like FaceTime and tethering, but do they apply only to "unlimited" plans, or do they apply to all plans?

There is a recent move by AT&T that allows shared family plans to use data with FaceTime...as far as tethering, not sure, I think you have to get a special "tethered" plan and in that case you lose your unlimited plan, which really isn't "unlimited".

Iam on a good plan at the moment where i get unlimited tethering on my iPhone for just $30 dollers a month.The only problem with tethering it really sucks your battery really fast its ok if you have portable power source with you so that you can charge your device up while you are on the move or tethering because you are lucky to get a couple of hours of out of a bluetooth tethering.

I was living in the London for 6 months and loved the data service there. I didn't even get local internet service, just used my $25 (£15 quid) 3 service...their 3G was plenty fast.

Also you could get the mophie if you need to be portable. Regardless, if you use a laptop, it will run out in about 2-4 hours anyway so you definitely need to have some type of power for both.

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
Yea I don't want to go to a family shared plan and lose my data. =( and I don't want to go to an android to tether which is another option

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
I haven't used tether.com, but it certainly looks like a viable solution. I've been considering signing up myself. Sure beats AT&T's rates, and losing my unlimited data plan.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Nope, long live net neutrality over here. It means the Internet may not be censored (that includes blocking tethering functionality) unless ordered by court.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.