Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk1wbw

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
So someone gave me an old iPhone 3G with no sim card to work on. Someone gave it to them so their daughter could use it as an iPod.

Are there empty or blank sim cards to get to make this happen, or is this not a possibility at all?

cpc12

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2011
If your using it as an iPod why would you need a SIM card ?

----------

Oh yea and.... GO VOLS !!!

I went there from 89 - 92

Reggie Cobb years

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
So someone gave me an old iPhone 3G with no sim card to work on. Someone gave it to them so their daughter could use it as an iPod.

Are there empty or blank sim cards to get to make this happen, or is this not a possibility at all?

You don't need a SIM card to use it as an iPod -- simply sync music from your iTunes library to the device and you're done :)

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
If it pops u a message but lets you continue anyways, THAT'S IT. Eaze-weezy, no stress-it biggie. Won't blow up wo a SIM am *almost* sure.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
As above, it'll work fine without a SIM, and you shouldn't be prompted to insert one unless you try to do something that requires a SIM (e.g. trying to call someone).

You WILL need a SIM to activate the phone, but that SIM does not need to be "active" (in the sense that it could be an expired SIM or a prepaid SIM with no credit).

Generally, you don't need to activate an iPhone that often, but you will need to do it any time it is Restored.

sk1wbw

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
I might have to get a blank sim card. I can't get past the "no sim card installed" message, not even by plugging the phone in to start a sync.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I might have to get a blank sim card. I can't get past the "no sim card installed" message, not even by plugging the phone in to start a sync.

Get an ordinary AT&T SIM card, anyone that you have. Put it into the iPhone to activate it and then sync your music. After that, you can remove the SIM and use the phone to listen to music.

sk1wbw

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Get an ordinary AT&T SIM card, anyone that you have. Put it into the iPhone to activate it and then sync your music. After that, you can remove the SIM and use the phone to listen to music.

Therein lies the issue. I'm on Verizon and don't have a sim. You can get those on the cheap, right?

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Therein lies the issue. I'm on Verizon and don't have a sim. You can get those on the cheap, right?

I think so. Any AT&T SIM will do. You just need it to activate the phone, after that it can be removed. Maybe borrow from someone?

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011

PHONE MUST BE ACTIVATED BY A VALID SIM BEFORE STARTING THIS PROCESS.
Step 1: turn on airplane mode.
Step 2: turn on wifi (which is automatically turned of by airplane mode but can be turned back on without needing to turn the cell radio back on).
Step 3: remove SIM card.
Step 4: profit.

----------

Yeh just a prepaid one would do. You can probably just was into a store and ask for one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.