Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blinkie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Hi.
Does anyone have some strategy games suggestions for my lowly whitebook that has an NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, 2 GHz processor and 4 GB of RAM?
Thanks in advance and merry xmas,
B

n8mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2006
Ohio
Civilization 4 should work fine on that. Very in depth but rewarding game. I still play it to this day. It has two expansions; warlords and beyond the sword which you can get in one box. It does need the DVD to play though.

blinkie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
n8mac thanks. I was under the impression that I needed a dedicated graphics card to run Civilisation 4. I'm glad to be corrected.

Acamerainjapan

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
best game ever made: X-Com UFO defense (the old one). I have it running on my machine with Boxer. Give it a google. :cool:

blinkie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
best game ever made: X-Com UFO defense (the old one). I have it running on my machine with Boxer. Give it a google. :cool:

Thanks Acamerainjapan, it looks good and Boxer looks great!

If anyone else stumbles on this thread looking for lower system requirement games... I myself would like to recomend Battle for Wesnoth.

NunoBerny

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
Thanks Acamerainjapan, it looks good and Boxer looks great!

If anyone else stumbles on this thread looking for lower system requirement games... I myself would like to recomend Battle for Wesnoth.

I played "Battle for Wesnoth" on my Amiga (specs don't get much lower than that!) for years and it was great.

Yesterday, I bought Civ IV Complete for a measly 12.99EUR, at Steam. It usually costs 49.99EUR, so I guess it was good deal.
Haven't played it yet,though.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Battle for Wesnoth is a great game.

I love Turn-Based Strategy more than any other genre, and I have to recommend a gem from the late 90's called M.A.X. from Interplay. Stupid story, dated graphics. Best. Gameplay. Ever.

At Gog.com, you can get it (and it's inferior sequel) for $2.99. It'll run in Boxer, and you can choose true TBS gameplay or an innovative 'simultaneous' mode, but I stick with the turns model. The sequel is Windows only, but seriously, the old DOS original is the one you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.